Front End Re-Build -- AC Delco components

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm gonna order a bunch of parts to rebuild the front end of my 1990 K1500 Chevy Pick-Up.

I'm ordering the parts from RockAuto.

A bunch of the Moog stuff isn't available right now, so I thought I'd go with AC Delco.

There are two grades for AC Delco. AC Delco Advantage and regular AC Delco.

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about AC Delco suspension/steering parts? Also, the "Advantage" line of parts are about 50-65% less than the regular AC Delco line. Which would be a fairly significant savings....but should I stay away from the cheaper "Advantage" line?

Thanks.

In the absence of Moog parts (which I prefer) I have used Raybestos Professional Grade on several vehicles over the years and found the quality comparable. To me AC Delco Advantage has been marketed as a - just good enough to get by line of parts. I could be wrong, just my opinion. When I invest in a job like a suspension rebuild, I want the job to last. Quality costs money. Just my 2 cents.

AC delco is not the name it once was. It's a label slapped on whatever.

In this instance I'd go on price: if a ball joint is $14 it can't be that great.

Raybestos pro is former Spicer and usually pretty good.

i like Rock Auto a lot, but I just ordered a complete set of brake pads and rotors , sway bar links and ball joints (both Moog) from Amazon, and saved a lot of money. While the price on the individual items were more expensive at Amazon, the shipping was free, and I ended up saving almost 80.00 when it was all said and done. Check it out. You may even find they have your Moog parts in stock.

Good luck!

Do you have an air hammer chisel to get the rivets out of the ball joints if they have not been replaced before?

The Moog joints have a provision to make it easier to grease these ball joints as they are difficult to grease and that is maybe why they have a short replacement life.

Not to say that AC Delco line is bad, but I've got to second the statement that they are just a relabeler who will mark the price up even higher. I was in O'Reillys awhile back and one of their counter guys took out a house-branded fuel pump and an AC Delco fuel pump that were both made for the same application. They were identical down to the lettering and every little minute detail. Yet the AC Delco pump was higher and had less of a warranty.
They've been bad-mouthed by a few people on here, but I've yet to run into any Moog-labeled junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back