How do you feel about Havoline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOGers. How do you guys feel about Havoline?

I'm using Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 with a Purolator Classic filter. For my next oil change, I'm considering using Havoline conventional 10w-30. My car simply doesn't need synthetic, and I live in a warm climate that gets to 20*F at its lowest.

I am a Chevron fan. Only fill up at their stations if I can possibly do so. I figured why not buy Chevron oil too if it is good oil? I didn't use Chevron gas last fill-up because I had a 20oz bottle of Techron and figured that + Techron in gas is a bit overkill.

Tell me what you guys think. Thanks

Havoline is an excellent oil with a stout additivve pack. Check out some VOA's & UOA's for proof.
smile.gif

Both Chevron and Havoline are good oils. As a side note, I believe that Havoline is from the old Texaco company that merged with Chevron (that was formerly Gulf Oil). If you want to be "truly" all Chevron, you have to look at Chevron Supreme (not that it matters--they are likely processed at the same place).

Here is Chevron Supreme in 10W-30 compared with a few:
Chevron Supreme 10W-30

Here is Havoline DS in 5W-30 compared to a few:
Havoline DS 5W-30

I think the only "gotcha" could be the pricing as compared to other oils by SOPUS and XOM; they are usually found cheaper than Chevron or Havoline, but I think Costco or one of the big warehouses has it on sale at times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Havoline is fine but you haven't said what you're using it in, but normally I would go with their 5W-30 instead.

I'm using it in a 1996 Dodge Stratus 4cyl 2.4L engine...

Needless to say, don't need synthetic.

Also, TO ALL OTHERS:
I can't really read UOA's & VOA's. I don't understand them very well, for I am a noobie to oil.

Is there a better choice for 10w-30 conventional?

Originally Posted By: cwp587

I am a Chevron fan. Only fill up at their stations if I can possibly do so. I figured why not buy Chevron oil too if it is good oil? I didn't use Chevron gas last fill-up because I had a 20oz bottle of Techron and figured that + Techron in gas is a bit overkill.

Me too, a Chevron fan as well. The Delo 400 syn 5w-40 runs great in my turbo Sonata.

Never too much Techron!

Nearly all SN conventional oils by Mobil, Kendall, Quaker State, Pennzoil, Peak, Valvoline, Shell, Motorcraft, or Castrol will serve your purpose. What is specified for your engine? 5W-30, 10W-30 or? Conventional oils of today are nearly the equivalent of the synthetics of yesteryear.

Pick one that meets the specifications for your engine, run it the recommended interval, and sleep well!

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Yes it's called a 5W-30 conventional.
BTW, most of us don't need synthetic either, we just prefer it.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

Nearly all SN conventional oils by Mobil, Kendall, Quaker State, Pennzoil, Peak, Valvoline, Shell, Motorcraft, or Castrol will serve your purpose. What is specified for your engine? 5W-30, 10W-30 or? Conventional oils of today are nearly the equivalent of the synthetics of yesteryear.

Pick one that meets the specifications for your engine, run it the recommended interval, and sleep well!

The manufacturer says use 10w-30 or 5w-30 in my climate (and I think I'd like 10w-30 just because it has less additives and more base oil than 5w-30) and it doesn't specify anything else. I was asking if I'd be better of using a different brand or just changing as the manual says with any oil (including SuperTech or Autozone brands).

The manufacturer says use 10w-30 or 5w-30 in my climate (and I think I'd like 10w-30 just because it has less additives and more base oil than 5w-30) and it doesn't specify anything else. I was asking if I'd be better of using a different brand or just changing as the manual says with any oil (including SuperTech or Autozone brands).

Huh? Less additives. I would think you would want an oil formulated with more additives.
And 10w-30 is basically obsolete as no oem's specify it as their first choice anymore however a 10w-30 may stay in grade longer,less viscosity improvers to shear.
Personally I'd use a 5w-30 but in your climate I don't think it's a big issue. Havoline seems to be making a decent product. I'd use it without concern

I trust Havoline as long as I can get it cheap. I have run it and I think it is a good oil but there are other oils I'd rather purchase at full price.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Huh? Less additives. I would think you would want an oil formulated with more additives.
And 10w-30 is basically obsolete as no oem's specify it as their first choice anymore however a 10w-30 may stay in grade longer,less viscosity improvers to shear.
Personally I'd use a 5w-30 but in your climate I don't think it's a big issue. Havoline seems to be making a decent product. I'd use it without concern
I think perhaps he was referring to the VIIs and not the real 'additives'.

The manufacturer says use 10w-30 or 5w-30 in my climate and it doesn't specify anything else. I was asking if I'd be better of using a different brand or just changing as the manual says with any oil (including SuperTech or Autozone brands).

I would use 5W-30 for a little better flow on cold starts, but I am not a big fan of auto part or chain store brands (but that is just me). I would shop around and find some specials and stock up. Mobil had a special not so long ago where a 5QT oil change was $9.99 (some with a $5.00 gift card making it $4.99). Unless you want to start performing UOAs to know exactly how long the oil will last, it is safer (and cheaper) to follow the OEM guidelines for the oil change intervals (OCIs). If I understand your wishes, you do not want to over complicate things, but wish to use a conventional oil instead of a synthetic. Find a deal on some 5W-30 with a decent filter and call it a day.

I hope this helps!

Been using Havoline on and off, mostly on, for 30 years or so--good oil for the price-(13 and change at Wallyworld). Don't be afraid to give it a try.

Is there any reason why people are recommending 5w-30 instead of 10w-30?

I realize "better cold starting," but 10w and 5w should have almost no difference considering the weather I live in (Mobile, Alabama).

If it is necessary, I will get the 5w-30!

Is there any reason why people are recommending 5w-30 instead of 10w-30? I realize "better cold starting," but 10w and 5w should have almost no difference considering the weather I live in (Mobile, Alabama). If it is necessary, I will get the 5w-30!

What are your thoughts about the difference between 5W-30 and 10W-30? What is it that you think you are gaining by using 10W-30? This is not sarcasm, I am just trying to follow your thoughts...

I have been told that 5w is lighter than 10w, but less "pure oil" is used. According to a few mechanics around here, they said to use 10w-30 if your car allows it. 5w-30 is supposedly unnecessary.

I don't really care which I use. I'm going to be doing 5k OCI's anyways, so you guys can be the judge of that.

For a moderate climate, there is no practical differences between 5w30 and 10w30.

When I stock up on an oil deal, its usually 50/50 with the grades b/c of what's in stock at the time. Car doesn't care either way.

If I were you, I'd watch for a deal and stock up on whatever is the best price - conventional, syn, 5w 10w; who cares, just keep more $$ in your pocket and be happy.

I have been told that 5w is lighter than 10w, but less "pure oil" is used. According to a few mechanics around here, they said to use 10w-30 if your car allows it. 5w-30 is supposedly unnecessary.

That might have been a bigger issue in the early 1980s, but I wouldn't sweat it anymore. I've used 5w-30 in every 10w-30 application I've ever had for a number of years already.

Originally Posted By: Garak

That might have been a bigger issue in the early 1980s, but I wouldn't sweat it anymore. I've used 5w-30 in every 10w-30 application I've ever had for a number of years already.

I agree. I live in a similar climate (likely hotter) and I use 5W-20 (I understand that your engine does not specify that oil), but my point is you will be fine with 5W-30. At operating temperature, the two oils are the same, but you have the benefit of better flow properties at startup with 5W-30. Obviously, you can use what makes you feel comfortable, but you would not be using a "lesser" oil by choosing 5W-30.

Let us know what you decide (and the brand).
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back