Kendall GT1 5w-30, 6026 mi, F150 Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
First 3 samples are PU 5w-30 and 4th is Kendall GT1 full syn. Aluminum went up a bit. Fuel dilution remains high but I still don't think it is over 5% as indicated.

oilreportgt1.jpg

Try Blackstones as they give an actual fuel figure, as the report just says over 5%, which is not good.
Some degree of fuel contamination is normal with these engines, but because of the warning for over 5% it would be a good idea to cut the OCI to 5K miles.
Assuming your engines fuel injection system is not faulty (Not smoke at idle or full power etc) then this might be the result of too much time at idle or low power, so see if you can get the occasional Sunday morning session on the highway, as this will help reduce the fuel contamination as hot oil tends to cause it to evapourate.
Good to see they flag the TBN as getting low, as I regard the minimum figure as one third of the VOA figure, which is a minimum of around 3 for the average oil. Blackstones chose one as a minimum and when I asked them what data that was based on their answer was the it was very much an arbitary number.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyship
Try Blackstones as they give an actual fuel figure, as the report just says over 5%, which is not good.
Some degree of fuel contamination is normal with these engines, but because of the warning for over 5% it would be a good idea to cut the OCI to 5K miles.
Assuming your engines fuel injection system is not faulty (Not smoke at idle or full power etc) then this might be the result of too much time at idle or low power, so see if you can get the occasional Sunday morning session on the highway, as this will help reduce the fuel contamination as hot oil tends to cause it to evapourate.
Good to see they flag the TBN as getting low, as I regard the minimum figure as one third of the VOA figure, which is a minimum of around 3 for the average oil. Blackstones chose one as a minimum and when I asked them what data that was based on their answer was the it was very much an arbitary number.

Blackstone is actually worse when looking at fuel dilution, they don't actually test for it. Fuel dilution is high due to being a GTTDI engine, the high fuel has not shown to be negative in relation to wear numbers. I'd doing 5-6K OCI as well. 6K OCI is the max on this engine.

I'm really curious about the AL number. Mine aren't that high using the kendall. Wonder if this could be a particle streak from break in? Beside the AL it looks good to me. I'll have my second kendall ecoboost UOA in a few weeks with about 5500 on it.

Polaris uses Gas Chromatography to get fuel percentage which is much more accurate than Blackstone's method which is based on equation involving flashpoint.

I don't see any clues for why aluminum amount spiked.

Is the copper high for this engine? It should be broken in by now and 20PPM seems high to me (it certainly would be on my 5.4L). I agree with others that 6K is too long on a GDI engine...

Originally Posted By: skyship
If Polaris use a high tech method to detect fuel why is the exact figure not in the report, Blackstones give an actual figure down to 0.5% and it can be cross checked with the flashpoint figure.

Because when its that high it doesnt make a difference, its too much fuel. Blackstone gives a figure but its not "actual" its just an approximation based off the flashpoint, which is not very accurate because the flashpoints vary significantly between oils.

Last edited:
Id be willing to bet the spike in AL is a result of more frequent cold starts. Turbos tend to drop fuel in a car during a cold startup in my past experience to warm the housings up.
Beercan, where did you find the full synthetic GT1? I have looked everywhere for it, Autozone only carries the blend by me, and Pepboys dropped their products entirely in favor of stocking a generic brand oil labels. I have had to settle for PP 0W20 for my cars. Not a bad choice but I really liked the add pack of the full synthetic GT1 with a nice mix of Moly, Boron, and Titanium.

Originally Posted By: 05Blazer
Id be willing to bet the spike in AL is a result of more frequent cold starts. Turbos tend to drop fuel in a car during a cold startup in my past experience to warm the housings up.
Beercan, where did you find the full synthetic GT1? I have looked everywhere for it, Autozone only carries the blend by me, and Pepboys dropped their products entirely in favor of stocking a generic brand oil labels. I have had to settle for PP 0W20 for my cars. Not a bad choice but I really liked the add pack of the full synthetic GT1 with a nice mix of Moly, Boron, and Titanium.

He lives in FL.... His truck doesn't know what a cold starts are lol.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Could this engine be a candidate for HDEO?

If I could find a HDEO in 0/5w-30 sm rated I'd run it. Too cold here for T5 10w-30 and warranty.

I've contemplated M1 0w-40.....

Mobil 1 5w-30 High Mileage is the HDEO of 5w-30 oil.

Ford modular engines from the 90's, 2000's used aluminum bearings so the new engines may also be using aluminum.

You must have changed your driving style in some way for this run. Can you change back to your previous driving style?

Originally Posted By: jorton

What basis do you have to state this? HDEOs (as we use the term here) speak to the lube approval in a wide variety of diesel applications. I would NOT agree with your assertion.

That specific fluid only has a CF rating. And, it is only availble in SL formulation in 5w-30. Kind of out of date if you ask me (presuming the PDS is up to date as of today). The HTHS is only 3.3.

What threshold of "HDEO" are you applying here? I'm not staying this product is a bad one, but I completely disagree with your assessment.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAXXENPVLMOMobil_1_High_Mileage_Oil.aspx

Last edited:
No cold starts and my driving style has remained constant.
Right now the aluminum is not worrying me. It could be some sort of anomaly. If it is high on the next report, I will switch back to PU to see if that corrects it. If it remains high after that I might have a problem
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BeerCan
No cold starts and my driving style has remained constant.
Right now the aluminum is not worrying me. It could be some sort of anomaly. If it is high on the next report, I will switch back to PU to see if that corrects it. If it remains high after that I might have a problem
smile.gif

Fundementally sound and non-panic'y approach. Good for you.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

What basis do you have to state this? HDEOs (as we use the term here) speak to the lube approval in a wide variety of diesel applications. I would NOT agree with your assertion.

That specific fluid only has a CF rating. And, it is only availble in SL formulation in 5w-30. Kind of out of date if you ask me (presuming the PDS is up to date as of today). The HTHS is only 3.3.

What threshold of "HDEO" are you applying here? I'm not staying this product is a bad one, but I completely disagree with your assessment.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAXXENPVLMOMobil_1_High_Mileage_Oil.aspx

Calm down.

He was meaning that M1 HM is the closest pcmo in 5w-30 to HDEO that you can find. He's not saying it is a HDEO.

Originally Posted By: volk06

Blackstone is actually worse when looking at fuel dilution, they don't actually test for it.

Any UOA I have had done by Blackstone contained a fuel dillution % figure.
21.gif

They actually go out of their way to warn you about how to take the sample to avoid getting a result showing high fuel dillution when in fact there is no problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Blackstone is actually worse when looking at fuel dilution, they don't actually test for it.

Any UOA I have had done by Blackstone contained a fuel dillution % figure.
21.gif

They actually go out of their way to warn you about how to take the sample to avoid getting a result showing high fuel dillution when in fact there is no problem.

That doesn't mean they use the most accurate way to test for it.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

Calm down.

He was meaning that M1 HM is the closest pcmo in 5w-30 to HDEO that you can find. He's not saying it is a HDEO.

Why do you think that I'm not calm?

If we accept such loose descriptions, then there are a whole slew of lubes that could be "HDEO like" (for a lack of a better term).

That lube really isn't that special if one looks at the PDS. Not even SN/SM approved, so it would have a somewhat limited application nowdays by excluding use in newer vehicles.

The product he mentioned is approved only for older gasser applications, with a very moderate (non-impressive) HTHS rating. Heck - there are dinos that have PDS sheets similar to this M1 5w-30 HM product.

What I'm asking is for him to defend is his statement; what makes the product like an HDEO? Not have you question my demeanor or motives.

Now you're claiming that M1 HM is "the closest pcmo in 5w-30 to HDEO", I'm curious as to your measuring stick, too. Are you saying that of all the synthetics and conventional oils out there, this product has proven itself superior as being "closest"? By what means are you applying the measurables?

The M1 HM has a moderate HTHS rating, and is only CF approved. There are a LOT of lubes with similar PDS attriubtes. Why do you two defend this product as being the best?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back