Accidentally Drove through EZ Pass Lane - Now What

Status
Not open for further replies.
So ... got up at 430 this morning, drove 75 miles to vote, voted and hopped on the NYS Thruway to get back to work in time!

Traffic was flowing well through the toll booths. Of course, by the time I get to the one, it's switched to EZ pass (was regular before that).

This is not the first time NYS has done this.

Anyway, I wasn't able to snake out and stopped before the toll booth. It turned green on me and I drove through.

What can I do to
1) Avoid myself getting a ticket
or
2) Avoid the person behind me getting a ticket if I drove through on their EZ Pass?

Whoever that plate is registered to is getting mailed a photo of you driving through complete with instructions as to how to pay.

Not sure how you can stop it.

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
Whoever that plate is registered to is getting mailed a photo of you driving through complete with instructions as to how to pay.

Not sure how you can stop it.

+1 No such luck avoiding it unless you know somebody who can have it fixed.

I did that once in a rental. I called up EZ Pass, and the guy said basically I had to wait for the ticket to come in the mail.

Never came.

I might have done that a second time in a different vehicle. I know for a bit my own vehicle was stating "see EZ Pass for " some unknown reason, on their little sign board; I ignored it. No ticket ever received, and whatever it was resolved itself.

Not saying you won't get a ticket, but they might not do anything to you. Truth be told, they might have some system in place where any given license plate is given x passes, after that they start charging. Probably costs them a few dollars to process each fine as it is.

I think it will cost you $20 to $30 for the first offense. The second one goes up in the hundreds. One time I went through the toll both and paid: The sign flashed "paid." The guy in the booth did something because I got a bill for running the toll booth. I tried to fight it, but they rejected the claim. I wanted to see the video camera in the booth that watch the driver and the attendant, but they wouldn't let me see it. Just pay it and forget it. Even if you want to fight it, they will still require you to pay, and if they find you not guilty, they will refund your money. I can almost guarantee you, you won't get your money back.

Quote:
I did that once in a rental. I called up EZ Pass, and the guy said basically I had to wait for the ticket to come in the mail.

Never came.

Rental plates = Not you. And it sounds like whoever you rented from just went ahead and took care of it.

The only people not getting tickets from doing that are those who "cold plate" their car, as in 1. Put a plate from somewhere else (read: EBay, illegal) or 2. Put plates Not On File (it can be done, not saying how.. also illegal for them to remain on a car afterwards)
Anything from a camera and not a person is also a no-points violation, but even if someone steals your car, they still expect YOU to pay it. Truth. (No way to plead not guilty)

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
+1 No such luck avoiding it unless you know somebody who can have it fixed.

That sucks. The I-Pass system in IL allows you to pay missed tolls online or by phone within 7 days. It does not become a violation until after that.

I don't know how it works there.
21.gif

I made a one way trip up the President George Bush Turnpike,
21.gif
sheesh, at least 6 months ago. Still haven't gotten anything in the mail. I think you have to make several trips before they accrue enough in charges to make sending you a bill profitable.

I don't think they will send you a ticket on the first offense. When I first got to Chicago, I drove through a couple of ipass lanes before I realized you had to take the off ramp to pay - I assumed you paid once like in Indiana's I90.

Never got a ticket for those.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
I don't think they will send you a ticket on the first offense. When I first got to Chicago, I drove through a couple of ipass lanes before I realized you had to take the off ramp to pay - I assumed you paid once like in Indiana's I90.

Never got a ticket for those.
Not yet. The Illinois Tollway is notorious for waiting years to send out violation notices and then hitting you with fines and fees for being "late."

Many years ago I went through the EZ Pass Lane in NY and it didn't read my transponder for some reason. It was a weekend so I couldn't reach anyone at EZ Pass. When I called on Monday they said there was nothing that could be done about it except to pay the fine, which I believe was about $30.

At least a few years ago the maine turnpike waited until you had five violations before sending out a bill. It was very reasonable as well. The letter was at times demanding but other times polite. No, not me.
laugh.gif

Just call the offices of the politicians that you voted for and explain your dilemma. I'm sure they will help you out, after all, they work for you...right?

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
Just call the offices of the politicians that you voted for and explain your dilemma. I'm sure they will help you out, after all, they work for you...right?

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

No problem, we have had a picture of our plate mailed to us with a warning, but never a fine. All our vehicles have toll passes so it was basically a malf.

I seriously doubt anything will happen.

How mean the toll authority will be is almost entirely up to how tightly they're reined in by the governing jurisdiction... which is all over the map.
frown.gif

Well, our toll rates have nearly doubled starting last January 1st. Talk about mean... the state has a big budget hole to fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back