how to solve foggy windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so this time of year windows fog because its cold outside and heater is going in the car. i was told tonight shaving cream wiped on your window will solve this wipe it on then wipe it off. anyone ever heard of this??

Nah, I just buy Rain-X anti fog stuff for a couple dollars at walmart.

You want to keep the air as dry as possible. Even a pair of sweaty gym socks can fog up windows.

Check your ventilation. If it is on recirculate, instead of fresh, your going to have foggy windows. Switch it to fresh. Leave the shaving cream in the bathroom. If you're not sure what I mean by recirculate and fresh (because that is just what I call it) check your owners manual.

For winter on some cars it is advisable to remove the cabin filter as it tends to remain damp causing windows to get foggy until things get warm.

Mercedes recirculation is designed to let in a little outside air to prevent fogging up.

It's something that Lexus copied.

Originally Posted By: Charlie1935
Turn the A/C on and regulate the temperature control to stay comfortable.

This.
Most modern cars will turn the AC on when in defrost mode, but it may not work when it's really cold out. I usually crack the window open just a bit before the ccar has any heat.

Open a window. These days, with electric windows, you can crack the side window--but I think cracking the driver's window works better. A bit nippy, but beats not seeing anything.

Err, I see you are in MO. I'm thinking of NH winter. Might not apply then.

Also make sure the AC's drain tube is not clogged with leaves or other debris. I have continual problems with my AC drain ports.

Many cars (but not all) automatically run the AC compressor when defrost is selected. It's good to know if your car does.

Make sure there is nothing wet inside the passenger cabin including water bottles which might be leaking slightly.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Make sure there is nothing wet inside the passenger cabin including water bottles which might be leaking slightly.

Or damp floor mats.

It's really dry in winter, usually don't have a problem unless there's a cold rain out.

Is there something damp in your car? Like a leak somewhere on the exterior that gets on the carpet when it rains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back