All right, admit it you got snookered

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have only used a couple additives. mmo, bar's leak, and cd2 (engine flush).

mmo - added to oil (1qt/10qt ratio to prevent dilution). it does work. for some reason my chrysler's hydraulic lifters run really quiet with a shot of mmo.

bar's leak -- the little gray bottle of "crushed walnuts". it not clear that it has ever done anything. i just add it after i flush the system for whatever reason (changing hose, new radiator).

cd2 -- used once as directed on the can. it wasnt very impressive. i think mmo works better (albeit slower).

oops -- forgot to mention dry gas (once a season or so) and techron every 3000 miles.

quote:

Originally posted by Ugly3:
Keep in mind that up untill about 1996 - 1998 Fram oil filters were about as good as you could get. I may have the year wrong but I think is was about 1983 that Consumer Reports rated the Fram as the best filter on the market.

I'm not certain on years as above but after reading on the internet I guess I was just awfull lucky to have gotten 220k out of my old Ford truck bought back in 1975 and the use of Frams all it's life until I switched to Motorcraft in or around 1998 soley because they were no longer double the price of Frams for some reason .
Then factor in my use of Marvel Mystery oil during the winter months I'm lucky I was not walking instead of driving all that time
tongue.gif

That old truck is alive and well on a friends farm these days but I don't miss the gas hog at all
smile.gif

I never really did too much with additives, and only if I couldn't easily get a filter in another brand, would I run a Fram. I mostly bought the filter that the manufacturer installed if it was a really nice vehicle, otherwise I'd just run the Champ or Casite filters that we stocked at the shop if it was a vehicle I really didn't care much about.
As far as additives go, I used to use 104+ Octane Booster quite often till I saw what it does to the plugs, then I quit using it. I'm still mystified at what they actually meant by claiming "increases octane effect by 3 to 5 points by modifying combustion chamber deposits." Modifying deposits? Octane effect?!?
confused.gif

Last additive I tried was this RxP Gas Kicker. Comes in a tiny little bottle and is supposed to de-carbonize your C.C.s and promote better fuel combustion (sound familiar?). It did absolutely nothing.

My dad is still a firm believer in OEM filters. That's probably where I got it from. He buys Mopar 5281090 oil filters by the case for his Dakota and my mom's Jeep. Nothing wrong with them, so I don't say anything. He's still even got an AMC oil filter from his '76 Jeep J10 sitting in the basement. He wants to save it for a momento.
rolleyes.gif

Hey,

Well before coming to BITOG I was always the anti additive type, to add insult to injury, I didn't really care what oil I used or filter. Just dino whatever 10w30 year around and whatever filter.

Then again I didn't know how big a role lubrication played in the life of your vehicle until I discovered this place. About the only things I'll use for additives is what is reccomended on here.

Off topic, Undummy what's with the Fuel Power, Auto-rx, and Lube Control thing?? Are you being sarcastic or do you not like these products?? Based on my own experience they really did do something for my Ranger. I'm not mad or nothing, just curious,,,,,AR

quote:

Originally posted by mikep:
I'll confess....many moons ago I used Tuff Oil in my wife's 1991 Mercury Topaz. Yep, I was taken by that whole "Guiness Book", "most slippery substance" claim
rolleyes.gif

Unfortunatley, I also used this stuff on an 85 Volvo. About a year later it needed new main bearings at 88,000. Oil was changed every 3000 back then with dino Castrol 10W30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back