My wife made me proud!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other day my wife and I were out at the local sporting goods store. I wanted to check on a loading tool for her M&P 9c mags and some mags for my 1911 R1.

I was off with one of the sales reps looking at mags and next thing I know she's got a Ruger LCR chambered in .38 +P in her hands and she's in love... After some talking with one of the reps, he suggested going with the LCR in .357, citing that it's slightly heavier but otherwise the same size. If she can't shoot .357, then she can always go back to .38/.38+P

So she's turning into a gun [censored] and I've got another pistol to save up for. Interestingly, there was an Air Weight S&W made of aluminum for less than the polymer framed Ruger.

Originally Posted By: lmt
My wife did not like the recoil

Really? Do you feel that your wife is sensitive to recoil? I think mine will do okay with it because she's one tough cookie.

I had a friend that bought the Airweight in titanium and the recoil was way too much! I fired it 5 times and my hand actually ached between my thumb and first finger. I have large hands (ring size 13) and am quite used to recoil (.357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .45 ACP, .45 Long Colt), but this thing just plain hurt and could not hit the broad side of a barn past 10 feet (it was a 2.5" snub nose in .38 +P).

Just my experience with it...

I had the LCR in 38spl, and the recoil was too much for me. Shooting 38+P 158grn in the LCR357 though isn't that bad. Not loads of fun, but not that bad. I highly recommend getting the 357 version over the 38, unless if you know exactly what you are getting into--and have other 38's to practice with.

I did find the the 38spl version was better for pocket carry. Go figure, huge surprise there. The extra 4oz of the Magnum version does really show up in the pocket. But after a while, one doesn't notice. Unless if it needs to be ultraweight, and you can practice on something else, I find it hard to recommend the 38spl version.

I put in a lighter hammer spring into my SP101, and while the trigger isn't the same, I think it's reasonably close enough for "similar" trigger practice. It too is in 357Mag, but even in that I don't shoot Magnums--I can, but it's only fun for a few rounds. Recoil isn't bad, but it sure is loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back