ever hear of Dr. Stengler and his "cures"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got an email with a about a 15 minute voice presentation on this "little known cure" that's great for cholesterol,etc..It's supposed to be some mushroom extract.

Get a prescription for a statin if you have issues. Don't fool around with your health! This is from someone who had a quad bypass 7 years ago.

Ads. While a lot of this stuff is true and coming forth in the research, like the influence of sugars and horrible American diets, IF you have a real, known issue, while these things may be useful, you should still have the real treatment.

Really its trying to sell you a book or equivalent.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
ever hear of Dr. Stengler

Another California crackpot doctor making a buck off the gullibility of others. Promoting a miracle cure with limited evidence. Let me guess, there's a book for sale, a program for sale, or magic pills for sale, right?

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Get a prescription for a statin if you have issues. Don't fool around with your health! This is from someone who had a quad bypass 7 years ago.

That's some of the worst knee-jerk reaction advice that I've heard in a very long time.

There are far better ways to manage cholesterol than popping a pill, and there's significant evidence that statins can cause as much damage as they attempt to cure. The pill popping solution should be the very last resort, not the first line of defense. A much better and healthier way to manage cholesterol is to quit smoking, lose weight, eat a healthy diet and get a lot of exercise. Even the Mayo Clinic advises the following.

Originally Posted By: Mayo Clinic
If the only risk factor you have is high cholesterol, you may not need medication because your risk of heart attack and stroke could otherwise be low. High cholesterol is only one of a number of risk factors for heart attack and stroke

Given the number of statin side effects, such as statin myopathy, liver damage, increase diabetes risk and potential neurological damage, statins should only be used when all else fails, and only if there are a number of other contributing factors.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Fish oil is your friend.

A study released a few days ago published in the British Medical Journal concluded that while fish, especially oily fish helped reduce the chance of a stroke and heart disease, fish oil supplements did nothing. It was a compiled study of 38 prior studies that included 800,000 people from 15 countries.

In another study, published in JAMA on September 12 of this year, it was concluded that "For people who took fish oil, the likelihood of having a heart attack or stroke or of dying suddenly or from a specific heart-related cause was essentially the same as for those who took the placebo."
Like the study published in BMJ, the JAMA study was compiled from 20 prior studies and included more than 68,000 people.

Clearly fish oil isn't so friendly, but eating fish, along with a healthy diet and plenty of exercise are indeed your friends.

More proof that pill popping isn't a solution, but a healthy lifestyle and diet are.

I got an email with a about a 15 minute voice presentation on this "little known cure" that's great for cholesterol,etc..It's supposed to be some mushroom extract.

If you believe that, might as well step into Kevin Trudeau's office. He can fix ANYTHING for $39.95.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
If you believe that, might as well step into Kevin Trudeau's office. He can fix ANYTHING for $39.95.

Wrong on both accounts. It was Earl Scheib and and $29.95
77827899780527788_OwsgcM4n_b.jpg

You beat me to it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Trudeau

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Wrong on both accounts. It was Earl Scheib and and $29.95
77827899780527788_OwsgcM4n_b.jpg

When I first heard about Earl Scheib the slogan was "I'll paint any car for just $99.95."

You wanna hear a guy that would peddle a miraculous cure-all?
Do a "Joe Zweiback's Gera-Speed" search on YouTube.
This guy would always advertise on the old Saturday night wrestling programs that my dad would like to watch on the low budget, low wattage TV channels during the 70s.
The guys that hawk their junk on the infomercials have nothing on this guy. If you believe everything he says, I'm sure he lived to be well over 120 years old.

Pop Rivit, I hope you never are in a position where diet and exercise and a low body mass do nothing for your cholesteraol. Mine was well over 200 with LDL over 100 with lots of exercise, a very low fat diet and low calorie diet and excellent body weiht/height ratio.

After my bypass, returned to exercise, etc but took 40 mg of simvastatin. Total cholesterol now below 100, LDL below 40. If you have genetic predispostion to high cholesterol, a statin is your friend. Been on for 8 years with zero side effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back