Which product to fill in gap in car body?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello..

Rust repair on the wheel well/fender of my 2000 626. Looking for a product to fill the gap between the 2 layers of metal prior to priming and painting. I have looked at fiberglass body filler, seam sealer, panel adhesive, epoxy, etc. but don't really know what to use in this application. Just looking to fill the gap to keep the water out before priming and painting. Not looking to cut the area out as the metal is strong. I'm not even going to worry about the missing chunk.

Thanks!

post-6458-0-96635600-1351898407.jpg

Yeah that was my first thought. My other thought was to spray some zinc rich anti corrosion spray in there, then cover it with seam sealer.

I would take a properly shaped patch piece of metal and "glue" it in place with SEM patch panel adhesive.The adhesive will seal up any gap between the layers.Only problem is price.The gun is around $80 and the adhesive $30+.

The Gypsies that come to Coney Island would fix that real cheap. It has to be a dry day for them to work their magic.
They will tell you to leave the truck/car with them and come back in six hours.

The Gypsies mix "Plaster of Paris" with some red paint and fill in all the gaps an holes that you have on the vehicle. Then they will sand it down nice and smooth with no bumps or lumps.

You pay them the fee for their work and everyone comments that it sure is a beautiful job.....unfortunately the "body work" will hold up until rains. Then people drive the car and hit a few pot holes after the rain.....and out comes all of the body filler in chunks and lumps.

You get what you pay for services.....the Gypsies are long gone before the first rain....lol.

Spray with rust primer, then seal with a urethane product of some sort. I use polyurethane roof flashing caulk for automotive seam sealer, works great, paintable, and cheap. The only downside compared to "the real thing" is the dry time.

POR-15 is the only product that will fix that properly, short of replacing the offending metal. Use a disc or wire wheel to remove as much rust as possible, treat with Prep&Ready, fill with POR Patch, sand it smooth and flat. Paint any remaining rust with POR-15 rust paint. Then wet sand the edge to feather it smooth, paint with whatever top coat you want.

The POR-15 putty seems like a good solution to that issue. I've heard of some nice repairs being done with it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I am going to pull the trigger on the Por Patch which is a thicker version of Por15. Might try to put it in a syringe and inject it into that gap if it flows well enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back