Makita BHX2500CA Commercial Grade 4-Stroke Blower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking about getting one these blowers to replace my electric blower but thought I'd see if any of you guys have one and can give some feedback. Amazon has them for about $220 delivered. I like the 4-stroke feature so that I don't have to mix fuel for it. The crankcase holds a whopping 3 oz of oil! Oil changes will break the bank!

Aside from not mixing fuel and less noise and smoke, are there any other advantages to 4-stroke blowers? What blower would you recommend if not this one? I value your opinion. Thanks!

51ufk7mXb0S._SL1000_.jpg

Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
I am thinking about getting one these blowers to replace my electric blower but thought I'd see if any of you guys have one and can give some feedback. Amazon has them for about $220 delivered. I like the 4-stroke feature so that I don't have to mix fuel for it. The crankcase holds a whopping 3 oz of oil! Oil changes will break the bank!

Aside from not mixing fuel and less noise and smoke, are there any other advantages to 4-stroke blowers? What blower would you recommend if not this one? I value your opinion. Thanks!

51ufk7mXb0S._SL1000_.jpg

If you do get one, I would be curious how you like it. I switched to a backpack blower because I was getting "white fingers" from the vibration of my handheld 2 stroke blower, I can imagine a 4 stroke shaking like a mother when handheld.

I have seen some of the Shindaiwa 4mix engines around that would have the same concern, but those were trimmers or brushcutters and wouldn't be quite as extreme as this one.

When did Makita start making gas products or have I been under a rock?

I am not sure why anyone would get a handheld unit over a back back model. I have 2 back back units.

I think the Husqvarna ones are excellent units. They are two cycle but who cares, buy a QT (or two) of premix and you are good for the season.

I am thinking the two cycle engine can wind up to a higher speed and blow the air faster than a four cycle.

I looked at a TroyBuilt one and it had the cheapest tiny foam air filter and it would fall off and get lost (I used it at Lowes). The Husqvarna one might have a better air filter than my Jeep. Night and day. So check out the air filter, that to me is one sign of quality.

its a dolmar product. 4 cycle in most cases turn fewer rpms, hence less air volume, and it still will vibrate. id get a 2cycle echo or husqvarna in this price range or even slightly less in price. also, the word "commercial" is used on products that are anything but that

Last edited:
I don't think RPMs matter as much as engine power and pitch of the blades. It is CFM (mass) and velocity that matter I think, all horsepower related.

Originally Posted By: Donald

I am not sure why anyone would get a handheld unit over a back back model.

Because if you're buying a new, backpack units (in the quality range) are hundreds of dollars more than a handheld.

That Makita looks interesting for $220 all in! I'd be curious of how heavy and well balanced it is. It looks the part, but you know how that goes.

I agree with Clark on the vibs thing. The tiny 4-strokes I've used- granted they were cheapos, vibrated just as bad as anything else in the price range.

Joel

Husqvarna 125b is what i replaced my electric with. Consumer reports rated it high and I like it alot. Best feature is I can run the blower at any speed and not touch the trigger

I have two commercial quality, full-crank 4 strokes (actually, same engine, different trimmer parts): Ryobi(MTD) 1079r, Redmax BCX-2600s. Both run very smoothly and it's great to be able to run low rpm for delicate work without fouling plugs, dribbling oil out the exhaust, or building up carbon. Still turn plenty fast when needed. Torque in thick grass is great. Unfortunately, neither has been made for 10 years and parts are no longer available through RedMax, but they are through MTD.

On the other hand, I regularly use a newer Ryobi 4 stroke blower, and it vibrates terribly. My old 2 stroke Echo PB-2100 is smooth as can be.

Just as with 2 stroke eqiupment, it seems you get what you pay for.

Is there any value of a metal impeller over a plastic impeller if you do not plan to vacuum with it? the metal is heavier so that would be a detriment.

Originally Posted By: HARTZSKY
Husqvarna 125b is what i replaced my electric with. Consumer reports rated it high and I like it alot. Best feature is I can run the blower at any speed and not touch the trigger

Your unit is rated highly by CR. How is it in the noise department?

Originally Posted By: Donald
When did Makita start making gas products or have I been under a rock?

I am not sure why anyone would get a handheld unit over a back back model. I have 2 back back units.

Under a rock - many years - I think it was their gas generators first.

Why a handheld? Cost less, back packs are more for commercial users, home owners with smaller yards, patios, driveways, better for older folks, women, youngsters, less noise.

I have the Makita - love it, very little vibration, low noise, light weight, perfect for my needs. Starts with one pull. Read the reviews.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
Is there any value of a metal impeller over a plastic impeller if you do not plan to vacuum with it? the metal is heavier so that would be a detriment.

Impellers are tiny, the weight would be impossible to notice. I like my blower primarily because I can use it to vacuum up leaves and mulch them. If you have a ton of leaves in your yard, I would consider at least trying out the vacuum. Also, I personally wouldn't order something like this from amazon. Their return policy on ope is [censored]. You are forced to deal with the manufacturer. Which is a shame because you can get some husqvarna equipment for a very nice price.

I ended up buying a 2 stroke Husqvarna 125b blower. Seems to work very well so far, no smoking at all with synthetic 2-stroke oil. Thanks for the tips pointing me to a 2-stroke. Actually mixing the oil and gas is no big deal with the premeasured bottles you can buy now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back