2009 Toyota Camry ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
The owners manual states that I need WS but the dipstick states that it is lifetime fluid. I am looking for a replacement fluid. So far I have found Max-Life and ATL. The specs on the Max-Life are surprisingly good when compared to the ATL.

What is every one else using in their WS application?

Genuine Toyota ATF-WS. It is fairly inexpensive and is proven to be the correct fluid for your application. No other fluid has been tested and validated for every ATF-WS application on the market.

My dealer sells me a case of 12 qts of Ws for $84 why use anything else? The wifes trans has 160k on it with a flush every 50k and still shifts like new.

Last edited:
The local Toyota dealer sells WS fluid for $5 per quart if you buy it by the 12 qt case, so that pretty much made my decision for me.

Originally Posted By: Doog
My dealer sells me a case of 12 qts of Ws for $84 why use anything else? The wifes trans has 160k on it with a flush every 50k and still shifts like new.

There are some ATFs that are better than factory, like Amsoil & Red Line.

Originally Posted By: 04SE
The owners manual states that I need WS but the dipstick states that it is lifetime fluid. I am looking for a replacement fluid. So far I have found Max-Life and ATL. The specs on the Max-Life are surprisingly good when compared to the ATL.

What is every one else using in their WS application?

Use the WS until you find a sutable replacement but, only if there is a price advantage.

When we bought our new '01 Lexus RX-300 which requires T-IV, I stayed with T-IV until I found other ATFs that were suitable but, only at a price advantage, not just to use other brands of ATF.

I didn't want to pay dealer prices which can be quite high.
You'll be perfectly fine using the Toyota WS. And if you want to change out your ATF, I'd stay with WS as long as the price won't kill'ya or until you find a replacement.

Toyota WS is probably a better ATF today than T-IV was in it's day. As many have said..."T-IV was nothing special"!
Originally Posted By: Samilcar
The local Toyota dealer sells WS fluid for $5 per quart if you buy it by the 12 qt case, so that pretty much made my decision for me.

Yeah, that's a no brainer! Any off the shelf HFM or IMV ATF is that price any day of the week. That's a good price for WS! My closest Toyota dealer wants more than $5/qt for T-IV, no matter how much I'd buy.

Last edited:
Edit time ran out!

And I agree that there are even better ATFs to be had from Amsoil or Red Line as Donald mentioned. And you may be surprised by the price(online). Always use WS as your price benchmark.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Doog

There are some ATFs that are better than factory, like Amsoil & Red Line.

I was actually all set to use Redline D6 in place of the WS fluid, but Redline removed this as a recommended WS replacement right before I was set to purchase (this was around 18 months ago). They switched their recommendation to D4, which didn't make any sense to me, as D4 is a much higher viscosity fluid. I now see that Redline has no recommended replacements at all for WS fluid.

Samilcar,

I noticed the same thing about RedLine withdrawing their D6. Does anyone know the complete story why this happened? I do remember the D6 was specifically made to replace WS, among others, and that it was lower in viscosity than the D4. Then, shortly before it was withdrawn from the market by Red Line, I heard others on this board state they had heard Red Line state they had begun recommending D4 for WS applications, even though D6 was specifically designed for WS. Why did this happen? Did they receive complaints from users of D6? Did it not perform well?

I called the Toyota dealer today. They charge $9.XX a quart for WS. I asked about a price break if I bought a case and the guy said the manager won't let him sell oils and fluids below MSRP. So, I will be getting a case of Max-Life tomorrow.

I found the same thing at my closest three dealers. That stuff is way overpriced.

Some Walmarts have Maxlife ATF in gallons for $16.97. Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

How do you know Maxlife is same as WS? Is it approved (internally by dealer?) ie, pennzoil 5w-30 is same as quakerstate 5w-30 because its same

Originally Posted By: cathy
How do you know Maxlife is same as WS? Is it approved (internally by dealer?) ie, pennzoil 5w-30 is same as quakerstate 5w-30 because its same

Pennzoil is not the same as Quaker State. They are two distinct brands with different formulas.

Maxlife is not the same as WS. Valvoline specifies Maxlife as a suitable replacement for WS. It has worked well for many of us in this application.

is it same viscosity? Full synthetic only? Or do they sell semi-synthetic/dino version?

Originally Posted By: cathy
is it same viscosity? Full synthetic only? Or do they sell semi-synthetic/dino version?

Click on the link in the second post of this thread.

If I do multiple drain and fills for the tranny (or is one enough) should I get more? Also, will maxlife mix well with my pre-existing castrol tranny fluid? Or should I flush it out (defeating the purpose of DIY since you must flush it at the shop) or will maxlife mix with the tranny fluid i have?

Cooler line flush is also DIY.

Your fluid condition and driving habits could help you decide on flush, single or multiple drain refills. More info needed.

Universal multivehicle ATFs will mix fine with any spec that they claim compatiblity with, and with each other.

can maxlife mix well with toyota brand atf? as in if i have toyota atf in there, can i do a drain and fill and fill it with maxlife or must i do a flush with maxlife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back