Co-Op D-MO Gold SL 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new favorite oil, for anyone in Canada who has access to it. The Co-operators make a number of oils that look pretty decent on paper, including an oil marketed for passenger cars called Sonic Gold SL 0W-30. It and this HDEO 0W-40 touts as having a PAO base-stock right on the container, so at least they've done everyone the favor of eliminating exactly what their thoughts on 'synthetic' means with it.

Around here, Sonic Gold 0W-30 runs about $8 a quart, this oil was $7, and German Castrol starts around $10 a quart. Mobil 1 0W-40 about $12 from most regular retailers. Arguably, its not the best deal on the block for some with volume discounts or when sales come around, but I've enjoyed hunting around for cheaper oils in the dark that aren't quite marketed as hard as some others, so its just advice to anyone who doesn't know about it.

I'm planning on running this stuff in my fathers older Jeep Cherokee, to make the 4.0L 6-cylinder happy. I know, it doesn't need thick oil, or HDEO, or even a synthetic, really, but my only true consideration is getting an oil that can survive winter...which averages between bad and brutal, so the pour point is an attractive factor. Plus its something I've never run before so I wanted a chance to just check it out.

Other oils I can suggest for anyone crossing this looking for oils suited good for cold climates are, around here at least, Petro Canada Duron XL, a synthetic blend 0W-30 that I've found at $24 for 4 quarts, or some smaller retailers, notably Peavy Mart, which often carries 0W-30 Rotella T5, which is 5 quarts for about $27.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quote:
SAE Grade 0W40
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C cSt 57.8
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C cSt 15.4
Viscosity Index 154
Pour Point (°C) -57
Ash 1.43
Zinc (PPM) 1421
TBN 11.2

API Performance

CI-4,CH-4,
CI-4 PLUS,
CG-4, CF-4
CF/SL,SJ,SH

There is something wrong with the viscosity specs, if the kinematic viscosities are correct then the VI would be 282!

Huh, that's embarrassing; blame it on me stealing it from a chart.

The correct Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt is 112.0 according to the sheet.

The Co-Op Gold is the CJ4 1.0% ash version, so it will have a slightly lower TBN and zinc content.
The 40C vis is a typo, I am sure.

Charlie

This is what's in my truck right now (for winter). The facts sheet I have lists it as a TBN of 8.5 though.

LINK 1

LINK 2

Kinematic Viscosity cSt @ 40*C 112
Kinematic Viscosity cSt @ 100*C 15.7
Viscosity Index 150
Pour Point (*C) -57
Ash < 1.0%
Zinc (PPM) 1125
100% Synthetic Y
TBN 8.5

Last edited:
I actually got the MRV and CCS spec's (forget the PP, it tells you little) on this oil a couple of years ago along with the correct rediculously low 150 VI and concluded this oil is totally uncompetitive. Besides if you want the best cold performance the last thing you want is a heavy 40wt oil.

I've you're looking for the best performing 0W-30 in terms of the lowest MRV (14,900cP) that would be Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0W-30 (nee Esso XD-3 0W-30).
The best 0W-20 is M1 AFE 0W-20 with it's MRV of 10,400cP.
M1 SM 0W-40 is pretty good for a light 40wt oil at 21,900cP.
Both M1 oils are available at Cdn Tire and routinely go on sale for 25-30% off with a final price in the 8 buck range/L.
PC 0W-20 is pretty good with a MRV of 15,100cP if you can get it cheap.
The Mobil made Toyota 0W-20 (MRV 18,000cP) and it's outstanding 216 VI is probabily the best 20wt value in Canada at $5.75/L.

I'm mentioning the 20wt oils as there is a good likelyhood that you should be able to maintain adequate hot oil pressure with one in the cold winter months when oil temp's often don't get that hot. You can also blend your own light 0W-30 for a good value as an option from any of the Mobil made 0W-20's and their 0W-30 or M1 0W-40.

It is interesting that nowhere does it clearly say that it is certified to meet any of the specifications. The bottle is ambiguous as is the data sheet. Words like "meets and/or", "selected specifications" (without saying it meets any of them) and "are approved and/or recommended for".

Alright alright, all good points, all things considered.

Next time I'll do extensive research but hey, stuff didn't cost me much anyhow and won't be pressured into a terrifically long OCI at any rate, so I figured I'd experiment and post just so its out there.

If I can find XD-3 0W-30 though I'll have to give that real consideration. I've been using and have been using Rotella T5 0W-30 regularly, though I've never once checked the specs on it.

I'll have to check on if I can get those good 0W-20's though, thats what I want in my car next OCI; but since that Jeep engine could end up trundling around in summer anyhow, like I said, was a cheap experiment. Hasn't exploded yet.

So leave me alone, I'm testing the water here on everything, lol.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Besides if you want the best cold performance the last thing you want is a heavy 40wt oil.

You want a 0W40 if you don't put on enough miles to justify twice a year OCI and you live in Canada or Alaska or the Dakotas, and you have a diesel that specifies an xW40 for summer use.
Being a 0W40 means it WILL crank well at -30 to -40 (C or F) irregardless of the "irrelavance of the pour point".

Charlie

Well, Redline is going to say "recommended" too, much like some of the specs for Amsoil (and M1 ATF for that matter). In these cases you are going off the integrity and trust of the manufacturer instead of a stated compliance with a specification. So do you trust Co-Op?

The Cooperators is a pretty rugged company here, especially when it comes to the farming crowd. They have huge refineries for oil, diesel, and gasoline all over the province. I will pretty unanimously say sure, there's gonna be better oils out there, on paper and in name, but I wouldn't doubt this stuff is fine, even if not being API licensed (etc).

For the price I think I'm getting a decent enough bang for my buck. Besides, I bought it looking for an experiment which has been working out fantastically so far. I need to just keep trudging around, looking for other stuff at low cost in the 0W- niche.

But hey, someone mentioned this oil, ages ago, and there was speculation of if it even existed, so I bought it on a whim. Clearly the specs are a little lacking after I've done my research. But its been posted now for future reference.

Originally Posted By: RiceCake
The Cooperators is a pretty rugged company here, especially when it comes to the farming crowd. They have huge refineries for oil, diesel, and gasoline all over the province. I will pretty unanimously say sure, there's gonna be better oils out there, on paper and in name, but I wouldn't doubt this stuff is fine, even if not being API licensed (etc).

Well, there you go. I do the same thing, I use Amsoil in some of my cars in some formats and I also have used Redline. I did use M1 when it lost the starburst during Katrina, and I use M1 ATF in "recommended" applications. It all depends on the trust you have in the manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: RiceCake
But hey, someone mentioned this oil, ages ago, and there was speculation of if it even existed, so I bought it on a whim. Clearly the specs are a little lacking after I've done my research. But its been posted now for future reference.

The Cooperators is an insurance company, but that's just nitpicking on my part.
wink.gif

Speaking of nitpicking, the Co-op's oils are a little confusing. Some bottles have appropriate API markings while others do not. It's hard to know if it's a formulation issue, whether they are actually certified or not, or if they just printed inappropriate labels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back