How accurate is CarFax on reporting maintenance ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's say you want to buy a car and the CarFax says the Timing Belt and Water Pump were both changed at 75K miles (by the dealership).

Is there any way the report can be altered to show the T-belt was done even though it wasn't ?
How does CarFax find out this info for oil changes and maintenance done by the dealership ?

Thanks.

I've never quite understood it, but some dealerships and some manufacturers just choose not to report this info to Carfax. IMO it's a bonus if Carfax knows, but I don't use it against a vehicle.

I always get a VIN of a used car and have the dealer check what warranty claims and services were done.

Don't trust carfax. That's just my opinion.

The report on my 98 Toyota Camry doesn't show much, however, the car has been in THREE accidents over the years and all maintenance done by yours truly.

Now what if i was to sell the car and show my BLIND buyer the carfax... I think you get the idea.

My advice. Have a professional inspect the car. I've personally inspected cars for family members who think a car with 115k miles has been properly maintained and had all service done at the appropriate time but in reality, there were spider webs all over the bolts to the timing belt (because nobody ever touched a bolt and the original owner got rid of the car just as it was in need of serious maintenance).

Buy cautiously.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I've never quite understood it, but some dealerships and some manufacturers just choose not to report this info to Carfax. IMO it's a bonus if Carfax knows, but I don't use it against a vehicle.

I always get a VIN of a used car and have the dealer check what warranty claims and services were done.

What about DIY car owners? The VIN won't show a thing done by the "stealership".

Your eyes (or a good mechanic if you don't have any automotive knowledge) is your best bed. Inspect every aspect of the car.

carfax only shows what it reported to them.usually state registrations and accidents repaired with insurance. regular maintenance would not normally be reported to carfax

If carfax says that the maintenance was performed i would trust that. But i would be worried about what is NOT on the report.

The corolla I own right now has ZERO report on carfax.

I know for fact its been in bad accident beside one side of the car has suspension problem that was "taped" . The owner straight up told me he delt with insurance but took it to random place to fix it for cheap , thats why hes selling it for almost half of its value.

I no trust it. Grab an OBDII and take test drive and see how the computers functions , some advnace software like SCANXL will actualy have min and max for every value in computer. helps alot.

Last edited:
I just bought a 2004 Volvo S60R and the car facts had tons of maintenance items reported from many different dealers and service centers. I called them all as the their phone numbers were listed on the car facts. Most of the maintenance was indeed backed up by the different service centers. Couple said they did not have records of the repair/maintenance but most did.

Thanks, I've always wondered how did CarFax get the records of maintenance being done. I do know a report can be 'clean' and the vehicle was in a fender bender.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
carfax only shows what it reported to them.usually state registrations and accidents repaired with insurance. regular maintenance would not normally be reported to carfax

This is what I have seen also, so if you are selling a vehicle, pull the Carfax and be ready to explain everything on it.

I resent the DMV selling (yes I will bet they sell the info) the info to Carfax. I consider it personal information that the gov. should not be allowing to be used outside of DMV.

Just like anything else, it's a tool that can give information, but not a replacement for common sense and a critical eye when looking at a used car.

Originally Posted By: Donald

I resent the DMV selling (yes I will bet they sell the info) the info to Carfax. I consider it personal information that the gov. should not be allowing to be used outside of DMV.

Those are public records, just as your driving record is public information. If you take a minute to do some searching, any criminal, tickets or any legal action in which you may be involved is also public information.

My CarFax on both of my Lexi shows maintenance work, along with of course registration/inspection stuff. All of the service history on carfax was before my ownership, and it was reported by whichever Lexus dealership did the work. It's nice to have because I can compare my other service history from Lexus's website to the service history listed by CarFax. Of course the Lexus website has way more stuff listed and is more descriptive.

I bought a car that I later found out had been in an accident: It didn't have the original door color when I removed the panel to repair the window regulator. Carfax showed it as having a clean title with no repairs.

You could call the dealership and ask.
I used CarFax a few years ago, and I ran two of our cars with known history through it just for grins.
There were significant inaccuracies for both, one involving accident damage and the other involving the chain of ownership.
YMMV

Quote:
If carfax says that the maintenance was performed i would trust that. But i would be worried about what is NOT on the report.

Yes. Our last Caravan had over $10,000 in repairs after being rear ended. Repaired at a dealer with insurance, it did not show up on CarFax.

That's also why I tell everyone to get a PPI done on any used vehicle, even if it's at a dealership.

My Acura MDX very accurate. All CarFax reported maintenance items had a receipt to backup in the glove box from PO I latter found in folder in a tucked away pocket. They even did a oil change at Ford dealer and it appeared.

My vehicle did have an accident where the door skin was replaced and wheel well slightly damaged. Never reported to CarFax. However this is what you were asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back