Hyundai/Kia MPG Changing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-hyundai-kia-changing-mpg-numbers-due-to-testing-error-286177.html

We've talked about this on here before - newer Hyundai/Kia models often don't live up to their advertised 40mpg highway. The EPA found a "procedural error" and many of their models will be downgraded. The consequences?

Originally Posted By: MotorTrend
As a compensation for the error, the automakers will be providing current and former owners with debit cards that cover the cost of fuel calculated by the difference in the new and old EPA combined cycles, the price of gas in the owner’s area, and the amount the owner drives.

Someone's getting fired for this, I'll bet.

Mark my word,K/H will come up with some big sale shortly to make people forget this ever happened.Toyota did that after the gas pedal scandal,pushing TV ads about Toyota technology is helping football players stay safe from brain injuries (notice those ads had a 1-2 month shelf life?),making Toyota look like they "care" about people.Huh.Its called changing the subject.And the foolhardy public buys it all.Dont forget,Hyundais 10/10,000 mile warranty is nothing more than a sales tool...so when a buyer compares,Hyundai always comes out on top.Doesnt mean the vehicles are THAT good.Buy a 6-10 year old K/H...that will be the true test of quality.

My fit's "advanced" little 1.5L struggles to get 35 MPG overall even with a 5M - but this "average" easily eclipses the conservative EPA HIGHWAY rating. Very embarassing to Honda as the wife's Forester gets over 30 easily with a 1000lb heavier SUV AWD. Honda should be ashamed. Our 90 CIVI AVERAGED OVER 40MPG OVER 20 YEARS AGO.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
http://wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-hyundai-kia-changing-mpg-numbers-due-to-testing-error-286177.html

We've talked about this on here before - newer Hyundai/Kia models often don't live up to their advertised 40mpg highway. The EPA found a "procedural error" and many of their models will be downgraded. The consequences?

Originally Posted By: MotorTrend
As a compensation for the error, the automakers will be providing current and former owners with debit cards that cover the cost of fuel calculated by the difference in the new and old EPA combined cycles, the price of gas in the owner’s area, and the amount the owner drives.

Someone's getting fired for this, I'll bet.

I was pleased to read that Hyundai will continue to REFRESH the debit card for as long as I own a qualifying vehicle.

"Buyer beware" is still alive and well. Still, good to see Hyundai being brought to task for over-stating fuel economy.

Fuelly has the average of the new Elantra as one of the lowest for a "compact". I'm not surprised by this one bit.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
It's about time the EPA loopholes are plugged. Hyundai and Kia are not the only ones taking advantage of them.

This.

...and then crack down on dealers who fudge the numbers.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Mark my word,K/H will come up with some big sale shortly to make people forget this ever happened.Toyota did that after the gas pedal scandal,pushing TV ads about Toyota technology is helping football players stay safe from brain injuries (notice those ads had a 1-2 month shelf life?),making Toyota look like they "care" about people.Huh.Its called changing the subject.And the foolhardy public buys it all.Dont forget,Hyundais 10/10,000 mile warranty is nothing more than a sales tool...so when a buyer compares,Hyundai always comes out on top.Doesnt mean the vehicles are THAT good.Buy a 6-10 year old K/H...that will be the true test of quality.
Nice anti Japanese auto industry slander, the "Toyota gas pedal" issue actually encompassed EVERY automaker which bought from the supplier, including GM.

Last edited:
I've never hit the EPA numbers in my Focus. I think the *lowest* I ever got, in the city, was the highway rating for the car. I routinely hit 45mpg (rated for 34 highway), average 37 commuting back and fourth to work.

It's about time the EPA loopholes are plugged. Hyundai and Kia are not the only ones taking advantage of them.

Forget the EPA. What a waste of money. I want real world numbers that are available from many web sites. yes for free.

Blatant false advertising.

I know folks who drank the Hyundai cool-aid coming from Honda and very unimpressed about MPG. Honda is very conservative in MPG rating which are decent but never the best currently. Honda owners see higher #'s typically.

What does Hyundai have now over Honda/Toyota since last year they sold near to sticker price vs the discounts on Civic/Corolla?

Originally Posted By: rshaw125

Forget the EPA. What a waste of money. I want real world numbers that are available from many web sites. yes for free.

Real world numbers give you no clue as to whether you are comparing apples to apples. The EPA testing provides a direct comparison between different cars. It won't tell you what your gas mileage will be but it will tell you which car will get better MPGs.

"Thanks to a “procedural error” during the Environmental Protection Agency’s testing cycle."

EPA's credibility is in question. If the procedure is open to errors and anyone can reproduce the errors and go unchecked, it is flawed.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
"Thanks to a “procedural error” during the Environmental Protection Agency’s testing cycle."

EPA's credibility is in question. If the procedure is open to errors and anyone can reproduce the errors and go unchecked, it is flawed.

The way it normally works is the manufacturers test their vehicles themselves, according to the EPA's dictated procedure, and then the EPA spot-checks some of the vehicles. While this wasn't stated in the article, my assumption is that Hyundai wasn't performing the EPA's procedure properly.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: rshaw125

Real world numbers give you no clue as to whether you are comparing apples to apples. The EPA testing provides a direct comparison between different cars. It won't tell you what your gas mileage will be but it will tell you which car will get better MPGs.

Yes, this is true, but car makers know the exact testing procedure, and can fudge and cheat with specific isolated goals . And they do!

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Blatant false advertising.

I know folks who drank the Hyundai cool-aid coming from Honda and very unimpressed about MPG. Honda is very conservative in MPG rating which are decent but never the best currently. Honda owners see higher #'s typically.

What does Hyundai have now over Honda/Toyota since last year they sold near to sticker price vs the discounts on Civic/Corolla?

I am a big fan of the way Hyundai/Kia is heading, but I found out first hand how the mileage numbers were not very accurate. We had the 2011 Kia Sprtage and the best we ever got was 26 on the highway. It's rated a 28 highway, 21 city and the combined was supposed to be 24. Our driving style usually yields us better MPG due to that fact that we do 70% Hwy driving. The average we were getting in that thing was 22-24 at best. To me, that's unacceptable so we cut our losses.

Maybe I'm crazy but I like to use My 1997 Subaru Legacy as the vehicle I judge others against. It's rated at 27 Hwy, 20 City making a combined rating of 23. I have averaged 27-29 Mpg for the past several years. My bast tank has been 33 Mpg (two summers ago) and that was maybe 80% Hwy driving. Keep in mind that this car now has over 200,000 miles on it as well.

Another example is our 2012 Civic. It's rated at 39 Hwy, 28 City making a combined rating of 32. The best tank so far is 39.5 and it was the very first tank of gas in the car. Our worst is 36. We now have 8200 miles on it and I would guess that we average 38. Keep in mind this is the woman's car and she has a lead foot... I have no doubts that if we took a road trip, we could easily get 45 mpg.

Having said that, I have no doubts that Kia/Hyundai will continue to thrive and their quality will keep getting better.

I consider Hyundai's reimbursement program to be a gratuity, i.e. pure gift, to me.

Since October 2011, my Veloster has consistently equaled or exceeded the Monroney EPA Estimated Fuel Mileage numbers of 29 city, 38 highway, and 32 combined.

On the Veloster forum, most who complain about poor mileage appear to expect their vehicles to meet the EPA estimates while commuting in stop-go traffic and driving the freeway at 65-75 mph...ain't gonna happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back