Dorman TPMS sensors for Hondas. Experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

I took our 2008 Honda Odysssey LX to a local tire shop to have it changed over to it's Bridgestone Blizzaks. One of the shop guys mentioned to me that my TPMS light was on. I responded with 'Yeah, I know. It's been on for a long time. Like 20K miles or so.' A bit later, the tire tech working on my Ody came in to show me that on two of my wheels, the TPMS sensors have come loose from inside the rim and have been tumbling around in there. They were tumbled to death. I never considered such an issue. He asked if I wanted to leave it without them (which they were fine with), or replace the two broken TPMS sensors. He wasn't sure if they had replacements in stock, but they did. They had some Dorman brand TPMS sensors in stock. ~$67/ea, all in, including the programming, etc. Only problem is, after a bunch of fiddling and 2-3 test-drives, they discovered their magical TPMS computer would not communicate properly with the van's TPMS brain! It had no problem talking to all 4 sensors (2 OEM, 2 doorman), all of those are fine and the batteries are good on the 2 originals yet. Supposedly they will be able to borrow the proper programmer today from another shop. I've got to head back in sometime today to hopefully get that TPMS light extinguished for as long as possible...

Joel

Last edited:
The Dorman TPMS are fine. I've used then in the past to replace GM original TPMS for people. The price is less and they work as intended. Not sure how long they will last, but given the batterys usually fail before the actual sensor, I believe 4-5 years of life atleast can be expected.

Our 2005 Acura has its original TMPS sensors, and all still work. I'm waiting on the first one to fail, then I'll probably replace all four.

Likewise here in the Chrysler. OEM going into eighth year of service, been rebuilt 4 times, still kicking.

How long are these batteries supposed to last anyway?

I don't know, but I'm waiting for them to have a charging device in these things that will keep the power system in the sensor continually charged by the movement of the sensor, as with a self-charging wrist watch. In theory, you could have near infinite life, assuming no mechanical damage to the sensor, etc.

TPMS - a good idea with not-so-good execution. It gives tire shops an excuse to charge you for the "rebuild kits" when you get new tires. It's guaranteed obsolescence at some point down the road with a fairly good size chunk of change to replace them. Whose brilliant idea was it to ensure that the batteries could not be replaced? All because most people can't be bothered to ever check their air pressure.

Yeah, I hate it. Makes you wonder if there's a way to permanently disable the two lights on my van; TPMS and low tire pressure lights.

I'm worried after spending ~$135 on two new aftermarket sensors, the shop won't be able to get the system 100%.

I looked up some info on the Dorman website. You need two tools; A TPMS sensor initializer tool no. AKS0620006 and an HDS (Honda Diagnostic System) scan tool.
frown.gif

Having to go to Honda dealer would kind of defeat the purpose of aftermarket TPMS sensors.

Either way, I'll be heading back to the tire shop shortly...

Joel

I'm dreading getting a car with TPMS sensors. I can't remember a time when I didn't have one or more tires on my car with slow leaks, meaning I would have a light on all the time. On some company vehicles that have them there are always lights on. By the way, went through all the usual nonsense trying to figure out why there is a slow leak on two wheels, and the final conclusion from two different tire shops is they are left scratching their heads short of replacing the wheels, which might or might not cure the situation. The leaks are slow enough so I can live with them--just top up every week or two.

Mine tripped an alert a mere couple of months after getting the car. I thought perhaps it was a malfunction, already! It wasn't. I had a screw in one of the front tires. Like I said, good idea, but poor execution. Anything that guarantees that kind of expense adds to TCO and, IMO, is not good. As I recall, this may have been the federal government knee-jerking after those Ford Explorer rollovers caused by failed Firestone tires. The failures were almost all related to overheating related to low inflation pressures. So we all get to "benefit" from the negligence of a small group.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Yeah, I hate it. Makes you wonder if there's a way to permanently disable the two lights on my van; TPMS and low tire pressure lights.

I'm worried after spending ~$135 on two new aftermarket sensors, the shop won't be able to get the system 100%.

I looked up some info on the Dorman website. You need two tools; A TPMS sensor initializer tool no. AKS0620006 and an HDS (Honda Diagnostic System) scan tool.
frown.gif

Having to go to Honda dealer would kind of defeat the purpose of aftermarket TPMS sensors.

Joel

That's insane.

The procedure for setting it on my BMW is air up all the tires to their proper pressures and hold the button for 30 seconds to reset the sensors to the pressure in the tires. When it deviates by IIRC 5psi from that pressure, you are warned. No special tools needed.

I bought the TPM Quickset last year for $150. It has a computer software portion and a quickset OBD II connection.

I have a complete set of Blizzaks on Honda wheels with TPMS. When its time to put them on, I plug the Quickset OBD II connector into the CR-v and designate the four winter TPMS codes in. It quickly turns the TPMS light out in the panel and I' m good for the season.

You should gather each code off the individual sensor before it is installed on the wheel so each code is recorded on the software. The software allows you to store four vehicle winter and summer changeovers.
Again, the key to this is to look at each sensor before the install ... Write down the code and then type it into the software.

For the tires-TPMS sensors currently on the car, the Quickset connector will recognize them and you can store it in reverse on to the software.

I had an experience at the Honda dealer to rotate these four winter tires on to the CR-V and plug into to the OBD II for sensor recognition for $90.00 with a smug remark that in the Spring it would be another $90 to rotate back. The comment was like he had me by the gonads.

Well... For $150 and 30 minutes of my time, I do it myself as I freely ...swing...

Yeah, I guess when I buy a new car with tpms, I'm either buying a new tpms tool or I'm taking out the tpms dash light. Lol.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

frown.gif

Joel

That's insane.

The procedure for setting it on my BMW is air up all the tires to their proper pressures and hold the button for 30 seconds to reset the sensors to the pressure in the tires. When it deviates by IIRC 5psi from that pressure, you are warned. No special tools needed.

haha, my system is motion activated. No buttons, no NOTHING. The minute you start moving they start reading. If I move a wheel the system instantly recognizes the difference.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

frown.gif

Joel

That's insane.

haha, my system is motion activated. No buttons, no NOTHING. The minute you start moving they start reading. If I move a wheel the system instantly recognizes the difference.

Well.. that's the way the system functions on my Honda. If you do get the low tire press warning icon, looks like a (U) w/ ! in the middle, all you have to do is figure out which tire is low on air, air it up to within door jamb sticker range and the light goes out. The problem is when the "TPMS" lights up on the dash. Now you need NASA equipment to figure out which sensor is out.

My fears were indeed confirmed. After another 1.5hrs waiting at the tire shop, they were unable to clear the TPMS light. They had some Snap-On TPMS tool that didn't work. Tried calls to other shops and a Honda dealer to no avail. In the end, he yanked the two new sensors out and installed rubber valve stems for me. No charge.

One huge error in my post. These were NOT Dorman sensors like I thought! Swore it said Dorman on the boxes, but in fact they were Alligator brand TPMS sensors. Total waste of time and money.

The TPMS light can stay on for the life of the vehicle as far as my wife and I are concerned. I check tire pressures and condition regularly anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I don't know, but I'm waiting for them to have a charging device in these things that will keep the power system in the sensor continually charged by the movement of the sensor, as with a self-charging wrist watch. In theory, you could have near infinite life, assuming no mechanical damage to the sensor, etc.

Already had something like that. My 1994 Corvette has the option LTPWS and on each wheel is a sensor mounted by a huge band in the center of the wheel. They are self powering when the wheel rolls. No batterys to ever die. Not sure why OEMS when to battery powered units when this technology was already available.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
According to TireRack (here TPMS) nonworking TPMS will not cause your car to fail inspection, but some states it apparently does.

Depends on if you have it done at a tire shop. My Jeep failed for bad shocks (that, ironically were 3 months old and perfect) but not the bad wheel bearing. The shop sold shocks.

I guess that's why my brother has never had an issue with his Xterra passing annual inspection. The car is almost seven years old and at least one of his TPMS sensor batteries must have died. He said the tire pressure light has been on for a couple of years and he says he doesn't care. Maybe I am too compulsive. That would bug me.

Don't get me wrong. I kind of like the system. A screw or nail in the tire tread could be something that goes unnoticed that could ultimately put you on the side of the road installing your spare. I just think it leaves a lot to be desired in cost and serviceability.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

frown.gif

Joel

That's insane.

I think my Mag was the same way...I hated that system with a passion. $150 valve stems get old REALLY fast! (I replaced three in three years.) If I ever get another car with TPMS, the bulb comes out the first time it has a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back