Shingles? TimberlineHD....Owens corning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready to replace our roof, via insurance company, license insuranced roofers.

We've had two estimates, two different companies come out and inspect and give us detail on their roofing materials.

One uses GAF/Timberline; the other Owens Corning - so far, I like the company that uses the GAF materials better; just feel more comfortable with the company overall.

What materials have others used?

Both are companies that make quality products, but also have a range. The better the shingle the more expensive. Some depends upon how long you might stay, and what look you want.

Make sure you get ice & snow shield on the first and maybe even second course of shingles. Nailed not stapled.

I used Certainteed Landmark shingles when I redid my roof this past Summer. They had the color I liked + they had a good reputation + the price was right.

You need to be satisfied with your roofer as they'll warranty the work. Go inspect some of their previous jobs and take your binoculars.

I got GAF/ Timberline left overs for a wood shed roof. Their warranty requires you to also use GAF underlayment and whatnot. Seems like it's written full of loopholes but they may just have to defend themselves against idiot installers. Quality seems to be there, I got arhitectural style-- on a lark-- and they're heavy buggers.

both are good shingles. I prefer OC - but it sounds like your concern is with the installer.... I recently did two roofs with Atlas shingles (because the customer supplied them) they appeared to me to be of lower quality than others. of course, thats IMHO

Did my roof last year
Yes ,both are good shingles. Go with weight per bundle . If everything else is equal.
Heavier(thicker) shingle= last longer.
some companies have lightened theirs considerably.
even different shingles from the same company have been lightened.
Keep a bag from one bundle as well as receipt with dop.
warranty is worthless without dual proof.

We had our roof replaced last year by insurance and upgraded to the Certainteed Landmark shingles. Certainteed is made by Saint-Gobain, and is a good quality product.

When we did the roof two years ago it was between Owens Corning and a trusted local company who offered Certain Teed. We went with the local company because the Certain Teed is a great product and they offered a lot of the little things that small businesses offer for less then Owens Corning.

My only experience with Owens Corning but we were extremely close to going with them. Good product.

Both are very good quality materials, it really comes down to the installer. An installer who really knows what they're doing and does it right is what will make the real difference between the two shingle choices.

If there is one contractor in particular that makes you feel more comfortable, and the references check out, all else being equal I'd choose that contractor.

When I researched shingles a few years ago I went with Certainteed Landmark for my roof. I also went for the thicker 40-year shingles.

I just went with Owens Corning Duration Storm shingles. You can't go wrong with them or the regular Duration. It's what everyone in Colorado uses, and given the propensity for damaging hail, whatever you use, they'll probably be replaced in under 10 years anyway.

Get the best product your insurance company will give you. Farmers mandated I use the Duration Storm, although another golfball to baseball hail storm will destroy them anyways!

I had Malaky (I know wrong spelling) shingles put on last year. If you replace look into class 4 shingles. With State Farm and a couple of other ins. companies you get a hefty homeowners discount. With SF it is 30%. Payback for the more expensive shingles is about 3 years and then after that it is profit. It is also transferable which might mean a selling point. Generally they are considered 40 or 50 year shingles. With the metal roofs you need or at least at the time needed to sign an appearance waiver though.

I had GAF shingles put on my roof in 1998. I don't know if they were timberline or not, but they were middle of the road 25 year shingles. They are still holding up ok, but I am seeing more granules in the driveway, but not in excess. I haven't had a shingle related failure from them yet. I've had a few blow off from brushes with tropical storms. I am about 8 miles from the coast and get brutal South Carolina heat during the summer. They are also subjected to a fair amount of blowing rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back