Seems like a waste to change it now,

Status
Not open for further replies.
The oil in my Fiat Coupe turbo has been in there a year now and done only 3000 miles. 2000 miles around town and 1000 miles in a single trip. The car does sit for long periods, weeks, without use.

I wont be using the car untill January where I plan a 2500 mile drive including a sprint around a race track.

I would usually change the oil once a year but it seems like a waste as it has done little work and is very expensive. The oil is Selenia Racing 10w60. Normal driving calls for a 10w40. I am going to use a 5w40. Would you change it now or after?

Originally Posted By: supercity
The oil in my Fiat Coupe turbo has been in there a year now and done only 3000 miles. 2000 miles around town and 1000 miles in a single trip. The car does sit for long periods, weeks, without use.

I wont be using the car untill January where I plan a 2500 mile drive including a sprint around a race track.

I would usually change the oil once a year but it seems like a waste as it has done little work and is very expensive. The oil is Selenia Racing 10w60. Normal driving calls for a 10w40. I am going to use a 5w40. Would you change it now or after?

I wouldn't use the 10w-60 as it is not really recommended for the 16v/20v Coupe engine. I would change it now as it will give you much more oil flow and a cooler engine.

Fiat are quite keen for these engines to have 10w-40 semi synthetic API SJ ACEA A3 oil in them for all temperatures according to my Autodata. A 5w-40 full synthetic is probably not a bad shout but may not offer you any better wear protection that the semi synthetic.

I know my mates 20v always feels smoother with the 10w-40 semi synthetic in it compared to the 5w-40 fully I've tried.

food for thought

Riggaz

I agree the 10w60 is not the right oil but it's usually listed in owners manuals for "sporty driving". It was for my Alfa 147 2L TS! I must admit I have no oil consumption problems with this oil and these engines are known to consume quite a lot.

10w40 semi is easy to get and cheap but I would rather stick with a full synthetic which really means a 0w or 5w40.

I agree the 10w60 is not the right oil but it's usually listed in owners manuals for "sporty driving". It was for my Alfa 147 2L TS! I must admit I have no oil consumption problems with this oil and these engines are known to consume quite a lot.

10w40 semi is easy to get and cheap but I would rather stick with a full synthetic which really means a 0w or 5w40.

10w-60 was used as a fix by Alfa Romeo for engines that were burning lots of oil and the customers weren't checking the level often enough so engines were running dry and seizing when using the 10w-40 originally specified.

The Coupe 20v/turbo doesn't have that problem so maybe a different matter

Have a good inspection of the owners manual to see what viscosities it lists as options for your ambient air temp and driving style just to make sure. You have to keep in mind that Fiat not only designed the engine but they also had a lubricant company (Fiat Lubrificanti, now owned by Petronas) making the lubes for all Fiats and Alfas so they know exactly what it needs.

You could go down the motorbike oil route to get a full synthetic 10w-40 if it's the only viscosity Fiat recommends

Riggaz

Last edited:
I have the 16VT and I'm convinced now I should really change it out. For the record the 10w60 only went in last time as it was convienent (long story). I hear you on the 10w60. I thought I was alone on that point. The majority of enthusiasts in the UK seem to want to use something a lot thicker, at least a 50 grade. TBH before I knew better I liked to use a 50 grade too and I have a stash of M1 5w50 to use up.

The manual states to use Selenia 10w40 semi synthetic or 15w40 as an option without any reference to the climate. When my car was new Selenia was not used in the workshop at the dealership; they used Mobil. Service history shows Mobil XHP 15w40 used and also Mobil 1 5w50. I don't think 0w40 was around back then so 5w50 was the only option other than 15w40.

TBH I dont like the idea of using modern 0w/5w40 as most are very light with an HTHS around 3.5-3.7. Much lighter than the 10w40 and expecially the 15w40 which has an HTHS of 4cP.

Penrite is the only brand sold here to offer full syn 10w40 and they offer 2 different flavours too. I would like to use there "Racing 10" which is a heavy 40, Grp 4/5 blend but this oil is basically unknown worldwide and Penrite wont even give me HTHS data. I have asked for it. So I'm a little stuck for options.

I have the oportunity to buy Selenia Racing 10W-60 at a ¨reasonable¨ price, but I never have used Selenia's oils, I know that nowadays they are owned by Petronas and not by Fiat, can you give me some references about this oil, how do it performs compared to other brands with this viscozity (Castrol Edge Formula 10W-60, Liqui Moly 10W-60, Millers 10W-60, etc.).
Thanks.

I have the 16VT and I'm convinced now I should really change it out. For the record the 10w60 only went in last time as it was convienent (long story). I hear you on the 10w60. I thought I was alone on that point. The majority of enthusiasts in the UK seem to want to use something a lot thicker, at least a 50 grade. TBH before I knew better I liked to use a 50 grade too and I have a stash of M1 5w50 to use up.

The manual states to use Selenia 10w40 semi synthetic or 15w40 as an option without any reference to the climate. When my car was new Selenia was not used in the workshop at the dealership; they used Mobil. Service history shows Mobil XHP 15w40 used and also Mobil 1 5w50. I don't think 0w40 was around back then so 5w50 was the only option other than 15w40.

TBH I dont like the idea of using modern 0w/5w40 as most are very light with an HTHS around 3.5-3.7. Much lighter than the 10w40 and expecially the 15w40 which has an HTHS of 4cP.

Penrite is the only brand sold here to offer full syn 10w40 and they offer 2 different flavours too. I would like to use there "Racing 10" which is a heavy 40, Grp 4/5 blend but this oil is basically unknown worldwide and Penrite wont even give me HTHS data. I have asked for it. So I'm a little stuck for options.

Be careful with low viscosity synthetics in the 16V Fiat twin cam engine, for some reason they like the naturally high film strength of the mineral oil in a semi synthetic. Remember after your oil pressure relief valve opens at about 65 psi you get no extra flow so if your pressure is okay with the 10w-40 then there is no reason to go thicker. The twin cam engine is rated as one of the best lubricated engines around but I know that Fiat recommend a specific type of oil for this engine due to failures with some full synthetics. If you are working it really hard on track or you've tuned it then a 10w-50 or 15w-50 is probably not a bad idea but make sure it has a high hths performance and high zddp content (1000 - 1200) like the pao/esters do. I think you'll be ok using your 5w-50 up but wait until the water and oil are up to operating temp before giving it serious right foot action!

just food for thought

Riggaz

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back