Re-Refining oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've wondered about this.

I know that recycling Aluminum is 90% more efficient than the process used to extract it from its mineral base to make "new" Aluminum.

Same thing with steel, paper, a bunch of Cardboard products, etc.
The 2nd time around the cost of re-manufacture is cheap, if you can get a ready supply of the otherwise "wasted" product.

Question: Would you feel comfortable with re-refined oil from a decent company and running it in your engine?

Just wondering
whistle.gif

yes if they could re-refine just the synthetic feedstocks. Problem is it all gets blended at the waste jug, and I like to run synthetic.

I'm running Valvoline NextGen in my Scion tC after using Amsoil's "Signature Series" oils. I'm really close to my 5k sampling for UOA. I hope it will look good.

I personally see nothing wrong with it. It probably contains a bit of the synthetic oil i've been recycling all these years.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
yes if they could re-refine just the synthetic feedstocks. Problem is it all gets blended at the waste jug, and I like to run synthetic.

Perhaps they can add hydrocracking to the re-refinement proceedure and voila,north American synthetic. Ya?

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Perhaps they can add hydrocracking to the re-refinement proceedure and voila,north American synthetic. Ya?

Except that the feedstock is different.

Mohawk and SafetyKleen have been producing re-refined lubricants for decades, and supply them to major locomotive services (where they have huge sumps, and they do oil analysis regularly to keep their diesel pushers lubrication in-check) and also major transportation fleets in Canada. Never have we heard any issues with re-refined lubricants so far.

My view is that most NA automobile owners are spoiled with all the marketing and consumer-driven market where virgin lubricant-based motor oils can be had for a song.

Naturally, they have the rights to diss re-refined oil to be used in their prized automobiles. On the other hand: there's no issues with properly blended, re-refined lubricants.

Q,

Hi,
re-refining lubricants is viable in many instances. About 1975 or so Mercedes-Benz sold a whole bus (chassis) fleet to New Zealand's Auckland City Council - the Council made the purchase conditional to the use of re-refined engine lubricants

To my knowledge there was never any problems during the lifespan of the "contract"

I would use them Commercially in a flash if the re-refiner met the standards required of the equipment supplier. And many engine Manufacturers have provisions for this!

Detroit Diesel for instance allowed for re-refined engine lubricants "provided the re-refined oil meets the SAE viscosity and API specifications (previously mentioned)" (Feb 02)

Daimler AG has long allowed their use (Commercially) subject to their specifications being met and maintained

Hi,
JHZR2 - I really can't answer your question in a strictly definitive way. I suspect that of the 150+ lubricants on the 228.5 list a number would be re-refined. That has been the situation in past years

Last edited:
The re-refined oils are essentially GroupII and II+ oils so they take conventional additve chemistry very well.

I just wish the supply was more plentiful. The bigs guys have placed advanced contracts on this base oil so far in advance that we're lucking to get 4 and 5 liter samples.

Quote:
The bigs guys have placed advanced contracts on this base oil so far in advance that we're lucking to get 4 and 5 liter samples.

Tells us that there is high demand for this recycled oil and that it is being used somewhere.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Yes, that would give you synthetic stuff. It would also drive the price up of the final product such that people may just not buy it. Making hydrogen is not a cheap process.

Originally Posted By: Artem
I'm running Valvoline NextGen in my Scion tC after using Amsoil's "Signature Series" oils. I'm really close to my 5k sampling for UOA. I hope it will look good.

I personally see nothing wrong with it. It probably contains a bit of the synthetic oil i've been recycling all these years.
grin2.gif

Is VNG considered conventional or synthetic oil? I have never seen it here in Canada.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KevGuy
Originally Posted By: Artem

grin2.gif

Is VNG considered conventional or synthetic oil? I have never seen it here in Canada.

Conventioanl. Synblend for Nextgen Maxlife.

when the tech is enticing enough for me to part my cash for it no matter what, I say it'll take off.

till then PAO/POE + current tech level racing additives for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back