Cleaning engine bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
^^ Nice job! ^^ How often do you do that?

Thanks! :^) Probably once every few months or so.

Thanks! Nice job, I may consider that.

Is extra moisturizing pledge ok to use on rubber/plastics and does it protect it?

Absolutely! I feel its much better on rubbers/plastics than armorall type products. It wont dry rot them llike armor all will. I also use pledge on my tires' sidewalls. Much better than protectants.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
It wont dry rot them llike armor all will.

Actually, armor all is now pretty much all water based, the issues people had with it damaging vinyl, rubber, plastic etc back in the day are pretty much over. Even though I don't use armor all, I wouldn't worry about it doing any damage to anything.

the 4 guys i know at our local cruisein use armor all tire foam on there engine compartments, they said its on the challenger forumn. there challengers look fantastic under the hood. they say they spray the entire underhood with it and let it sit, no wiping and it cleans and shines all parts after drying.

Last edited:
How long does the Pledge last for those of you using it? Here is a couple engine I detailed using 303:
100_2623.jpg

010.jpg

009.jpg

I've always used Castrol Super Clean...you've gotta make sure the engine is stone cold before you spray it on though, then just hose it off...it's always worked well for me...

Originally Posted By: grampi
I've always used Castrol Super Clean...you've gotta make sure the engine is stone cold before you spray it on though, then just hose it off...it's always worked well for me...
Castrol sold off the Super Clean business but you can still get the producd, without the Castrol name, at Wallyworld. Still in the purple jug. I use it on cold engines. It's actually FDA rated for food service use.

Originally Posted By: mcshooter
the 4 guys i know at our local cruisein use armor all tire foam on there engine compartments, they said its on the challenger forumn. there challengers look fantastic under the hood. they say they spray the entire underhood with it and let it sit, no wiping and it cleans and shines all parts after drying.

That's what I use and it seems to work very well with little effort involved. Also it doesn't seem to attract dirt, as a lot of internet people claim. I clean my engine bay about once a year and for the most part there is not much to clean there. Of course I'm not looking for a brand new and pristine look, just a fairly clean engine bay with no oil stains. For the anal ones, Im sure my engine bay looks filthy.
lol.gif

But this Pledge method seems worth a shot as well.

Pledge is really not recommended for use as an automotive detail product. Has very little protectant in it.

I'm going to use sonus motorkote because it's a wax based product and lasts longer than any of the others mentioned. fyi.

The used Civic I bought a couple months ago would make you all cringe! I never cleaned the engine in my past cars, but this one is bad enough that I need to just to work on it. Amazingly it somehow managed to have the fuel filler door/area covered in grime/road tar. I have no idea where the previous owner drove/stored the car to do this, but it took all of 5 mins to clean, so they must not have worried much about appearance and maintenance.
I'm hesistant to bust out a hose, and would rather spray and wipe - but you guys have some great results!

Back in the day, I used to use diesel fuel, spray the engine down with it, then hose it off.

Worked well, looked good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back