What's the best engine oil flush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: callbay
I went to Wal-mart and got a 5 quart bottle of SuperTec 5-20 oil and a cheap Fram filter as they did not have a Purolator Classic in the size I needed for the mini-van. I changed it cold so I did not have to start it with the old oil. The old stuff was pretty bad. I put some of it in a glass container and it stuck to the wall of the container with a thick coating. The filter was a Champion brand cheap filter that looked like the old Wal-Mart Super Tec's. It is about an inch shorter than even the Fram is. Don't know how many miles were on the oil.

It did not seem to help when I started it with the new oil and I let it sit there and warm up which did not help either.

It was strange that the knocking would sometimes almost go away and often changed its sound. I called the widow of the owner and she said they drove it a week with the knock and then parked it. If only they had changed the oil more often.

The noise seems to be in the top of the engine. Does this sound like a lifter gone bad?

What would you recommend doing at this point?

Thanks a ton.

Grampi pretty much summed up what I'd do. Read his comments above.

I had a Chrysler mini van last year with a 3.0 engine. It would tick like crazy.
When I first got the van I couldn't see the rocker arms and springs due to sludge. So I immediately changed the oil to pyb and added a can of seafoam. During the seafoam treatment I did not rev up of floor the throttle. I figured the oil was somewhat thinned out and I didn't want to wipe out a bearing.
I ran that oci for about 2000kms. The rocker arms were becoming visible and I could see them moving. So I added half a can of seafoam and pyb for 3000kms. View down the oil fill hole was getting much better,sludge was being cleaned remarkably well. I did 1 more treatment with the last half can and left it alone after that.
The tick disappeared within 500kms on the first seafoam treatment. Never ticked again. My sister is now driving that van as a tool hauler/cargo for work. Over 300000kms on it now.

I tried the search but did not see it.

Need to flush a 2005 3.5 litre v/6 in a dodge mini van.

Thanks a lot!

I used BG109 to flush out old dirty oil. Works great. But can says don't use in an engine with known sludge issues.

It was strange that the knocking would sometimes almost go away and often changed its sound. I called the widow of the owner and she said they drove it a week with the knock and then parked it. If only they had changed the oil more often.

The noise seems to be in the top of the engine. Does this sound like a lifter gone bad?

What would you recommend doing at this point?

Thanks a ton.

If its rod knock, then not much oil wise is going to help. Lifter noise is usually a tick or clack.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I tried the search but did not see it.

Need to flush a 2005 3.5 litre v/6 in a dodge mini van.

Thanks a lot!

I used BG109 to flush out old dirty oil. Works great. But can says don't use in an engine with known sludge issues.

That's the thing with Marvel Mystery Oil, it can be used in sludge engines, and it works well on those too....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back