You think I should replace my ignition coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mech/shop who fixed everything 3 weeks ago said no, only if it starts misfiring.

3.5 weeks ago had my valve cover and all seals for it including gromets, new Irdium spark plugs replaced cause the previous mech didnt install the valve cover properly and ripped the spark seals and was leaking. When he pulled out the coils my coils were soaked in oil but he did his best to dry them off of coil including the inside.

Today, just wanted to check up on things so I pull out my ignition coils and notice theres oil on the bottom of each one. Stuck a flashlight on the insides of each oil and seemed dry so the oil was only on the outside of the coils.

I clean off and stuck a flashlight in the tubes (left the spark plugs inside) and couldnt see any oil sitting at the bottom where the plugs are but very little light smears of oil around the walls of the tubes. So I take a rag dry everything off.

Call back the shop and he says its normal cause the coils were soaked, so over time more oil were release from the coils cause thats what happened when they were soaked in oil. He says dont worry about it unless the car starts misfiring but if it runs good dont worry about it.

My only concern is that if the coils will keep putting out a bit of oil over time then wouldnt that mean oil is getting on the plugs? If so that means they get on the spark plugs = shortening the life of them no?

I told him that ill just check up on the coils a couple more times in the next while and dry off the oil but he said dont cause each time you pull the coils out, you risk them failing prematurely. He said only pull out coils if you have to. Pulling out coils too much is a no no. I didnt know this.

Do you think i should just replace the coils to risk not ruining my plugs? Even though not cheap $200 for all 4 OEM and dont really want to pay that. I could go to a junkyard im sure and get them much cheaper but is that safe?

Last edited:
If the mechanic did something that caused your coils to get soaked in oil and possibly damaged the coils I would push to have them provide you with the parts. No reason for you to pay for their mistake. Im no mechanic but oil all over my coils would push me to replace them, maybe use an electronic parts cleaner solution?

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Agree with second/new mechanic trying to save you money.

+1 Also, you have it on record that you were concerned about the coils. If something were to happen to it and it was the result of the shop, it is their duty to correct it. Otherwise, if there isnt any missfiring then leave it be

Originally Posted By: fusion0389
If the mechanic did something that caused your coils to get soaked in oil and possibly damaged the coils I would push to have them provide you with the parts. No reason for you to pay for their mistake. Im no mechanic but oil all over my coils would push me to replace them, maybe use an electronic parts cleaner solution?

The guy who did it was just a guy who worked at a dealer but from his home on the side. Ive tried getting a hold of him but no avail. Been trying for the past month and gave up.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Agree with second/new mechanic trying to save you money.

Ya theyre trying to save me money. If i dont need it, save the money. Ill leave it for now but just dont want the oil getting on the spark plugs and wearing them out faster,

Also is it true that pulling out ignition coils too much can cause them to prematurely fail?

Last edited:
oil = insulator. doesn't matter if it gets on coils or plugs, unless it softens plastic parts on the coil.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
oil = insulator. doesn't matter if it gets on coils or plugs, unless it softens plastic parts on the coil.

+1
Stop worrying. The coils will actually be less likely to arc and cause a misfire with the oil coating.

Oil won't hurt the topside of the plugs (ceramic/metal). It's an insulator, so it won't let the plug flash over more easily. It will make the boot a little easier to pull off next time around. If the coil is working leave well enough alone.

I always spray a little silicone lubricant (oil) up into the inside of the plug boot when reinstalling, as it will come off more easily the next time around.

Oh, but i always thought bottom of coils and spark plugs should be 100% completely dry.

I thought oil on spark plugs or coils = bad and premature wear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
you thought wrong.. seems to happen frequently.

what am i wrong about? wet coils is common?

Originally Posted By: Carnoobie

"Wet" with oil is not a serious problem (or really not a problem at all). Wet with water is another story.

Originally Posted By: Carnoobie

"Wet" with oil is not a serious problem (or really not a problem at all). Wet with water is another story.

\
Oh now what about wet with oil spark plugs? Ccause if the bottom of the coils have oil on them, then the spark plugs most like do no?

You have to think about where the spark is taking place vs the transfer of the voltage.
33.gif

If it was an RX-8, I would say to replace the coils, since they fail frequently between the 30k and 50k mark, and that eventually leads to rampant misfiring, which leads to a dead catalytic convertor, increased rotor housing wear, and decreased engine compression.

I'm not sure what year and model your car is, but if it was my car, I might consider replacing them if the car had high mileage. They are a part that eventually loses power, slowly, over time. Fresh coils might bring back a smidge of power, and efficiency that was lost over the life of the original coils.

If you're close to the US border, and there's an Advance Autoparts near the border, it would be worth making a trip over to get them at a discount.

The coils for my RX-8 are $31.99 a piece ($127.96 for 4), but with many of the codes available for AAP, you can get them down to a lower amount. For example, code RAF7JA1102 bring the 4 of them down to $92.96 with its $35 deduction.

But, I have no clue how close you are to the border, nor what your car is. Normally, ignition coils aren't that frequent a failure, though if your car was an RX-8, a VW with a 4 cylinder, or a Porsche with a flat 6 engine, I would be more likely to recommend replacement since those engines tend to kill coils more frequently than other engines.

BC.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
You have to think about where the spark is taking place vs the transfer of the voltage.
33.gif

I dont get it.

From what i was told spark plugs should never be wet of oil, always 100% dry. Coils too (but again this is what i was told).

Do bottom of coils normally get wet with oil in cars?

Noobie, I'm really starting to like you. Its great that you have this forum to discuss the details of whatever part of your car you are currently obsessing over. If you had to get all of the information from your mechanic(s), they would kick you out of their shops for asking too many questions. It won't be long before you have some sound car knowledge to use for the rest of your life. (I am not implying that you know nothing right now, but you're still building up the basics.) Kudos to you.

But also, remember that many of the true experts on this site are very busy. If they give you advice, it will probably be very brief. If you always respond the their answers with more questions that are likely to require them to explain the basics of a vehicle's system to you, well, they might stop giving you even brief answers in the future. You certainly should continue to ask about things that confuse you, but don't forget the gratitude when its appropriate.

Don't worry about the coils, but remember this occurrence. If the engine starts running rough, you might want to test the coils first.

Wet coils aren't a common occurrence. Rand was implying that you 'thinking wrong' is a common occurrence.

Don't worry about the plugs. Only the tip needs to be dry of oil or water.

Removing the coils too often isn't a seriously bad thing, in most cases. Sometimes the electrical connections can become weak after too much wear from jiggling them loose and reconnecting them. But, more often than not, you'll drop a tool, drop the part, lose a part or break something else accidentally.

You didn't mention the engine.

I'm assuming that you are talking about a coil-on-plug configuration with a spark plug that sits in a well. There is a "connector" on the bottom of the coil that's essentially a spark plug boot.

The geometry of 3+ valves per cylinder pretty much constrains the plugs to sit in a deep well. Typically the valve cover has individual spark plug seals. Any leak causes oil to gather in the well, with no place to drain.

The oil doesn't cause any direct problem. It is electrically non-conductive, and a good thermal conductor. But over time the additives soften the rubber, making the connector prone to splitting.

Once split, the connector is very likely to cause a misfire that's similar to a bad plug wire. Not right away, but a week or two later after a carbon track builds up from minor discharges that don't initially cause a misfire.

If you replace the valve cover gasket and clean the connectors off before they start splitting, they usually will be serviceable. It's normal for them to ooze oil for a while, most from the conductive core and a trivial amount that has soaked into the rubber. If they haven't split, just clean them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back