Any Honda Ridgeline Owners On Here??

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I really would like to have a truck, but I can't justify buying one because I don't haul enough and I need to have a 5 passenger vehicle that drives nice. Then I was thinking well hey there is the Ridgeline. I watched videos on youtube yesterday with reviews and it seems like it would be a great fit for me. Small bed that I can still haul things when I need, yet still have a nice 5 passenger vehicle that drives and handles well. And I can still have the Honda quality that I like.

1) What are your average MPG, and driving style? I have seen seen MPG across the board, just trying to get a nice average.

2) Any problems you have experienced?

3) Is the regular preventative maintenance pretty easy to do, as the CR-V is?

I have 2 years after I had graduated to get the College Graduate Financing from Honda. So I'm thinking maybe in the spring next year to actually start considering and looking. Not thinking serious right now, just looking for info.

Don't own one, but do own the same powertrain.

MPGs will likely average high teens to very low 20's. A tad better for long steady, not too high speed highway travel.

You don't hear of too many issues with them. There's a zillion 3.5's and 4-shaft 5spd autos out there.

Regular maintenance is easy. Trans drain/fills are easier than an engine oil change.

Joel

Averaging 15-16 city due to mostly less than 8 miles per trip and lots of stop and go. Averaging 21-23 highway on long trips. Last summer averaged 18.5 mpg towing popup camper and 2 adults 2 kids with AC on 90% of the time.

Maintenance is super easy. No problems after almost 70k miles. Also, original Michelin tires. Still at 4/32" on tread.

I've looked at these a bit, on the web, and this is what I've read:

-It is a timing belt motor. Don't recall if it's interference; but that shouldn't matter. I think 105kmiles is the change interval.

-It is high geared. It will downshift on a number of hills. The motor also likes to rev; it is not known for being a "torquey" motor. Nothing wrong with that, but it's no low-reving American V8 (which are no longer all that low rev'ing either).

-People who tow with it are surprised at its low mpg's. I suspect it's not as efficent at towing a travel trailer as a more typical V8 setup. Which might not mattter to you at all; or might not matter for occasional usage.

-The transmission likes to run with the torque convertor unlocked. This isn't a problem, as the computer will lock it up if it goes too high in temperature--for some reason this transmission won't grenade like other transmissions.

-Like most crossovers I think it is primarily FWD until slippage is detected. The button on the dash is to lock the rear differential; and IIRC that will stay locked up to only a certain speed. It is more stopgap than a true traction aid.

-It is not particuarly low geared, and it does not have a low range for off-roading. It's really more of a crossover with a 5k towing rating. [But you might not want to hit 5k with it, 250hp only goes so far.]

-IIRC it may get slightly better mpg's on premium. Especially while towing. It is a bit of an aerodynamic brick, so best mpg's are going to be at low speeds.

I don't recall seeing too many issues with the setup. Typical Honda reliability. There was a minor change to transmission gearing and hp curve (IIRC) after it was in production for 2-3 years; otherwise it's been relatively unchanged.

Originally Posted By: supton
I've looked at these a bit, on the web, and this is what I've read:

-It is a timing belt motor. Don't recall if it's interference; but that shouldn't matter. I think 105kmiles is the change interval.

-It is high geared. It will downshift on a number of hills. The motor also likes to rev; it is not known for being a "torquey" motor. Nothing wrong with that, but it's no low-reving American V8 (which are no longer all that low rev'ing either).

-People who tow with it are surprised at its low mpg's. I suspect it's not as efficent at towing a travel trailer as a more typical V8 setup. Which might not mattter to you at all; or might not matter for occasional usage.

-The transmission likes to run with the torque convertor unlocked. This isn't a problem, as the computer will lock it up if it goes too high in temperature--for some reason this transmission won't grenade like other transmissions.

-Like most crossovers I think it is primarily FWD until slippage is detected. The button on the dash is to lock the rear differential; and IIRC that will stay locked up to only a certain speed. It is more stopgap than a true traction aid.

-It is not particuarly low geared, and it does not have a low range for off-roading. It's really more of a crossover with a 5k towing rating. [But you might not want to hit 5k with it, 250hp only goes so far.]

-IIRC it may get slightly better mpg's on premium. Especially while towing. It is a bit of an aerodynamic brick, so best mpg's are going to be at low speeds.

I don't recall seeing too many issues with the setup. Typical Honda reliability. There was a minor change to transmission gearing and hp curve (IIRC) after it was in production for 2-3 years; otherwise it's been relatively unchanged.

Yeah that is basically what I need. A crossover with a bed. I like the look of the Ridgeline. (I had an Element before the CR-V, but upgraded to the CR-V for the 5th seat and normal doors. Loved the interior of that car though. I hauled all kinds of things in that vehicle.)
I would really like to have the better VTM-4WD over the RT-4WD on my CR-V. I have never got stuck in my CR-V but I hear that the VTM-4WD is a better system. The 4WD lock would come in handy in the wintertime as I live on a hill. So that would be nice.
I doubt I will ever be towing anything. I just want a good reliable everyday vehicle that is extremely versatile.
I'm thinking if I got one I would get the RTL with Navi and see if I could find a really good used 2012 or 2013 next year. I don't want to get a brand new one and then be afraid to haul things in it because of that(scratches, etc..). But I don't want to go back to far seeing that my current vehicle is an '09.

My new commute isn't that long and I figured up the MPG difference with my CR-V and it isn't a huge amount added in gas bill, and is surely doable (I figured it up with gas being about $4 a gallon too). Haven't checked what insurance price would be, so I still need to check on that too.

I like doing my homework, so I'm checking into everything.

There is some forum for Ridgeline, forget the name; but I'd surf over there. Edmunds might have some threads on it too.

Only other thing I can add is that everything gets lousy mpg's under short trips. But you probably already know that.

Sounds like it might be a good fit. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: supton
There is some forum for Ridgeline, forget the name; but I'd surf over there. Edmunds might have some threads on it too.

Only other thing I can add is that everything gets lousy mpg's under short trips. But you probably already know that.

Sounds like it might be a good fit. Good luck.

Ridgeline Owners Club. Yeah it's an awesome truck. More than enough for what 75% of people need. You won't regret it if you get one.

I own the same vehicle with a closed cargo area: our Acura MDX. Same 3.5L V-6, same 5-speed auto, same VTM-4 AWD system. In short, the car is unbeatable in the snow (at least with good tires, it is). Even with VSA disabled, it's hard to get it to swap ends. The VTM-4 rear unit is a well-engineered piece; it works well and is very durable. You don't see issues with these going south. The transmission in the Ridgeline has a very good track record...as do most Honda transmissions since 2004 or so. The V-6 is a gem. No Ridgeline ever got the VCM version...you take a hit on fuel economy but you know you have a bulletproof engine as well. You won't believe how smooth the V-6 is. It's easily the best V-6 engine I've driven.

I would not buy one with the intention of towing anything substantial. It's simply not designed for that. There are better tow vehicles. It doesn't sound like you intend to tow anything, but just thought I'd mention it.

For a general-use all-weather 5-seater that also has a pickup bed, it's hard to beat. The only reason I bought the CR-V instead is entry price (those Ridgelines really hold their value) and fuel economy. The Ridgeline is rated exactly the same as our MDX (15/21). It's a thirsty vehicle, but one that should be very enjoyable to own.

Yup, the 5spd AT from 2007 on is very good. You do hear of an occasional torque converter issue, but it's not real common.

The VTEC 3.5L has been around forever. Very few issues with them. Even the annoying EGR system is mostly problem free on them as compared to some.

I'd LOVE a Ridgeline if gasoline stayed about $2/gal less than it is now. Man I miss my pickups and SUVs.

Joel

Last edited:
Had one....loved it. The 4x4 system was exceptional for what I required. Never felt uneasy in snowy weather. The entire vehicle has a real quality feel to it. I didn't need a huge truck to tow things so the Ridgeline was perfect. It worked very well towing two large three seat PWC's on a double trailer. Didn't slip on the boat ramp one bit. Back seat was very roomy and the interior was constructed well with durable materials. Road manners were very nice....smooth vehicle to drive on long trips. Gasoline usage was not as economical as I'd wished....but given it's size, weight, and abilities....not really that bad. New prices are high....I expect used to be the same in comparison.
Expect the 'real' truck guys to scoff at you once in a while. Didn't bother me as I didn't require an H/D pickup. I was very satisfied with the vehicle. Sold it due to a divorce....missed it ever since.

I really tried to like them, I did...

With the black mesh grill, it almost starts to look good. Liking the underbed storage too. I do like the way it drives but seating position was a little minivan like. For a very large portion of pickup owners, the Ridgeline will do everything they use a pickup for.

But this was the worst part:
Honda Ridgeline RT
City (mpg) 15
Highway (mpg) 21

Chevrolet Avalanche LT 4WD
City (mpg) 15
Highway (mpg) 21

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Honda Ridgeline RT
City (mpg) 15
Highway (mpg) 21

City (mpg) 15
Highway (mpg) 21

It's a trade-off. The Honda will be a better-handling and better-driving vehicle. It's smaller and will be easier to maneuver and easier to fit in a standard garage. The Chevrolet will be a heavier-duty full-frame truck that can tow more and carry more payload in the bed.

With equivalent MPG numbers, it's easier to make a direct comparison. Price is very similar between the two (at least new), fuel economy is about the same...so choose which vehicle suits your needs the best. For some, it'll be the Ridgeline, and for some, it'll be the Avalanche.

Bigger isn't necessarily better. Pound-for-dollar, you get more vehicle in the Avalanche. But the same is true for all-you-can-eat buffets. More can be less...it just depends on the situation and the individual buyer.

To me, the fuel economy was just too bitter of a pill to swallow.

If it had better fuel economy, there very well may have been a Ridgeline in my garage. (If it would fit....might have to move the freezer.
lol.gif
The Avalanche would have to stay outside)

I'm serious about the black mesh grill. One minor change alters the whole appearance of the vehicle for the better.

Similarly, if the Subaru Baja had better driver dynamics, I might have purchased one of those. It felt like it had 36 turns lock to lock on the steering wheel and had more body roll than a '72 VW Microbus.

I'm not opposed to passenger car based pickups. I like the idea. Just opposed to ones that get the same fuel economy as a full size pickup with an 8 cylinder and ones that seemed to be designed to handle poorly.
The Australians seem to get it right with some of their "utes".

My Ranger's corrected EPA fuel economy is 15 city / 21 hwy MPG. How's that for fuel economy? On E85 that drops to 11/15 MPG (EPA). Those numbers aren't far off. I can usually do a couple MPG better than the EPA if I try, but still it's a V6 pickup and that's what you get.

V6 pickups never have been a fuel economy miracle even if they have been sold that way. Even without a ladder frame a Ridgeline isn't a light or particularly aerodynamic vehicle. Throw in a V6 and the fuel economy is about right.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
I really tried to like them, I did...

With the black mesh grill, it almost starts to look good. Liking the underbed storage too. I do like the way it drives but seating position was a little minivan like. For a very large portion of pickup owners, the Ridgeline will do everything they use a pickup for.

Honda Ridgeline RT
City (mpg) 15
Highway (mpg) 21

City (mpg) 15
Highway (mpg) 21

If that gas mileage is accurate, there's probably 4 or 5 vehicles I'd choose before a Ridgeline. I was under the inpression they got close to 30mpg on the highway?

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I'd be worried about towing with independent rear suspension

You should probably avoid the Ford Expedition and Nissan Armada.

They're rated pretty high (9000 IIRC) and have independent rear suspensions.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I'd be worried about towing with independent rear suspension

I don't think that's as big an issue as it being a unibody and not a full frame. I've got a friend in collingwood with one of these. He would tow the work trailer to and from the site. About a year after purchase I noticed the tail sat crooked,not level. Well after towing that trailer daily he tweaked the frame on the back end. Soon the rear doors didn't line up quite right and ended up breaking the latch pins.
It's not a work horse. Will it tow,sure,but it's not built for towing. And the 6er left alot to be desired for power will a cabin full of people.
This was 4 years ago so maybe they improved the design on today's model but I wasn't impressed with it at all.
I'll take my 99 chev 4x4 over that thing any day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back