Aftermarket rebuild of Acura MDX transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
My MDX's transmission is probably shot. Flares, slips and sudden involuntary downshifts with P1750 code. Dealer quoted almost $6k.
Would like to consider after market shops for rebuild because those are almost half the price. Question is - which one ? Two big names in twin cities area are Kennedy Transmission and AAMCO. Any recommendations or suggestions for either one ? or any other ?
Thanks!

I had a great experience with AAMCO in the past. At 170K, the 4th gear clutch shaft sheared in our old 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT. AAMCO did a complete rebuild of my transmission (not a swap for a rebuilt one) and provided a 1-year / 10K warranty for $1300. That was in 2008. I sold the vehicle shortly after, so I don't know how it held up over time, but initially it felt good and solid.

Originally Posted By: youdontwannaknow
My MDX's transmission is probably shot. Flares, slips and sudden involuntary downshifts with P1750 code. Dealer quoted almost $6k.
Would like to consider after market shops for rebuild because those are almost half the price. Question is - which one ? Two big names in twin cities area are Kennedy Transmission and AAMCO. Any recommendations or suggestions for either one ? or any other ?
Thanks!

Kennedy is in the ATRA network so you have a nationwide warranty. You get a nationwide warranty with Jasper also and the transaxle comes with the transfer case for three grand.

The dealer is probably replacing the PCM per TSB 2001-2002 Acura MDX "06-005" Transmission TSB which increases the cost and they are including the seven hours labor for installation.

If you get Kennedy to do it ask for the Sonnax upgrades and add an external cooler.

What mileage did you get out of the factory unit?

I have the IDEAL recommendation. Howard Engineering. My mechanic used one of their remans in my Accord in 2009. This is not your run-of-the-mill rebuilt unit. These guys supply remans to Honda!

http://www.hecreman.com/

125k miles on the vehicle/trans. Always used OEM fluid (Z1/DW1) and replaced at shorter than recommended intervals(15-20k). The short intervals were after car was around 50k.
Dealer doesn't have PCM listed seperately in the quote they gave me. Although the TSB says "An updated powertrain control module (PCM) has been developed that can improve durability under certain, very specific driving conditions."
Would be good to know what certain very specific driving conditions are those ?

I have a UOA posted here long time ago, nothing unusual showed up at that time.

Last edited:
that updated PCM is probably just software programming, unless there is some hardware that requires changing.

Of many rebuilds i have seen on honda AT's, VERY few have been done right. As hard as it may seem price wise, i would opt with a honda reman unit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I have the IDEAL recommendation. Howard Engineering. My mechanic used one of their remans in my Accord in 2009. This is not your run-of-the-mill rebuilt unit. These guys supply remans to Honda!

http://www.hecreman.com/

+1, IIRC a reman unit from Acura is only about $2500.

Be sure to get the PCM replaced/updated, as software is what controls the transmission's operation and can/will make a difference in its longevity.

As an alternative, you can try this one by ATC:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-2002-ACURA-MDX-REMAN-TRANSMISSION-ASSEMBLY-ALL-UPDATES-3YR-100K-WARRANTY-V6-/350538504628?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AAcura%7CModel%3AMDX&hash=item519db919b4&vxp=mtr

Howard Engineering goes beyond a dyno for testing. They actually install the finished unit into one of their test fleet vehicles and road test it. When the transmission in my 89 Accord went out at 300,000 miles I could not get a used one in this area and my Honda mechanic felt that none of the local transmission repair businesses knew how to properly rebuild a Honda automatic. I honestly don't know about that part, but he said when he worked for Honda that Howard would supply rebuilt units to NA Honda when they had inventory issues. The thing never felt like a rebuilt unit. It felt very solid and like a new transmission. Before I shed the car I put almost 60,000 miles on the tranny and never had a bit of trouble. Howard Engineering required the use of a Magnafine filter during the warranty period and I installed a new one when I did drain and fill. Considering that the Honda transmission has no pan or replaceable filter an inline magnetic filter is a good idea, though, 300,000 miles is a pretty darn god lifespan. It was worn out clutches that finally resulted in extreme slipping that did the thing in.

Japser looks pretty good, too. The warranty is great. My Honda tranny came with a 12/12K warranty and for a few extra bucks I extended it to 36/36K. They basically say that all the rebuilding is the same, you just pay extra for more warranty. The tranny in my old Honda is of a non-planetary gear design. That is why my mechanic did not believe that the big chains or local mom & pop places in our area could do a proper job. The results were excellent so I can't complain. I don't plan to own a car long enough to have to do that again, though. LOL.

Howard Engineering goes beyond a dyno for testing. They actually install the finished unit into one of their test fleet vehicles and road test it.

I have a hard time believing that a high-volume manufacturing facility would spend 8 hours per transmission to R&R it from a car for field testing.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Howard Engineering goes beyond a dyno for testing. They actually install the finished unit into one of their test fleet vehicles and road test it.

I have a hard time believing that a high-volume manufacturing facility would spend 8 hours per transmission to R&R it from a car for field testing.

Good point. It can't be happening.

Good to be skeptical of that claim. It's got to be bogus. With the trans dynos out there it is ridiculous to imagine that anyone could afford this.

Find that BUSY trans shop near you that specializes in imports. They will make you wait a week or so, but they are going to do just fine and warranty the result.

The one near me does a ton of dealer work!

I agree, but check out their web site. One of the photos showed an old Honda like mine in their "test fleet." Plus, they do charge a premium for their trannies. Mine was $2,100 just for the transmission. Installation at my mechanic's shop was another $500. The car was in such great shape otherwise that it was worth it to me. It got me another three years out of the car before I wrecked it.

Last edited:
I wish they had a time lapse video of how they change a transmission. Since their cars are test cars, they may be modified in some way for a quick change out. Plus, they specialize in Honda/Toyota/Nissan.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
[q
Good to be skeptical of that claim. It's got to be bogus. With the trans dynos out there it is ridiculous to imagine that anyone could afford this.

Here's the specific claim on their site. I have a hard time believe that they're just making it up, given their long-standing reputation and relationship with the manufacturer. This doesn't look like your average transmission shop:

"HEC operates the only road-testing program for re-manufactured transmissions. Our extensive testing fleet includes Honda, Toyota, Acura and Lexus cars, as well as a four-lift facility for transmission installation and removal. Test cars have been specially prepared for their duties, equipped with quick-release hoses to speed installation, and specialized filters to keep fluids clean and pure.

Surprisingly, a re-manufactured transmission can pass a Dyno test and still fail when exposed to a real-world driving environment. Lateral forces and the weight of vehicle affect operation, and cannot be truly duplicated by the Dyno. By road-testing components in actual vehicles, HEC has been able to eliminate low- and zero-mile failures (failures that occur within the first 5000 miles of operation).

HEC's one of a kind
RoadTesting Program.
Transmissions are road-tested for 10-15 miles, and exposed to a variety of real-world driving conditions to ensure that they work as promised when they are delivered to our customers. After passing all quality tests transmissions are drained, cleaned, plugged, bagged and packaged in leak-proof containers for shipping."

Bad reviews on hecreman.com
Never bought from them myself.
Interested because I own a notorious Honda transmission that already failed.
Searched for info on hecreman.com. If this is the same company.

Howard Engineering Corporation
(310) 523-2660 hecreman.com
227 W 140th St, Los Angeles, CA 90061

Found bad reviews. None this year but still, almost no favorable reviews.

Most are like these:

http://local.yahoo.com/info-20437188-howard-engineering-corporation-los-angeles?tab=reviews#reviews

DrewPosted on 05/12/11
Absolutely horrible business to deal with. Take this as a warning, avoid Howard Engineering at possible costs. Multiple transmission failures and and warranty claims that have gone unpaid by Howard Engineering. We have taken legal action against them over several different claims. Amazing they are still in business. The California Attorney General's office has complaints against them on file.

XnedPosted on 07/09/11
I will never do business with this company again. I had to file a small claims case against them. Won the case with the evidence presented. The owner did not show up for the hearing. Not surprising as he won,t return phone call either. Also found out that Howard Engineering Corp has been dissolved . They just have a new name Howard Automatic Transmissions. Luckily we filed the case Under their new business name. They do not honor the rental car portion of the warranty either. The rental car company whom they had an account with will no longer do business with them as they do not pay their bills. So to add insult to injury I had to pay for more than one of my customer's rental car bills. Don't be fooled by the nice lady who answers their phones. She will tell you that they are paying their warranties but business has been slow so it is taking a little longer. I have been waiting over a year. No payment so I took them to court. Do no recommend doing business with this company !!!!!!!!!!!!

A Yahoo! Local userPosted on 09/24/09
Have had several transmissions go bad. Getting paid for warranty claims are impossible. Will not purchase from them again!!

Howard Engineering Corporation
(800) 831-2223
227 West 140th Street, Los Angeles, CA 90061
http://www.hecreman.com

On a scale of A+ to F
Reason for Rating
Factors that lowered this business's rating include:
15 complaint(s) filed against business
Failure to respond to 15 complaint(s) filed against business
Advertising issue(s) found by BBB

Additional Complaint Information

Complainants allege that this company fails to honor warranties and limited warranties on engines and transmissions sold by their company. Customers complain that when repairs are necessary within the warranty period, warramty claims are not paid as agreed. To date, all complaints are unanswered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back