2009 Police package - 40,000 miles / 3,300 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at a 2009 Police package. Odometer reads less than 40,000 miles, but it has nearly 3,400 hours on the hour meter.

By the low, low miles, and (in comparison) the high, high engine hours, I'm assuming that this was a supervisor's car that sat and idled a LOT, and was not a patrol unit.

This unit has seen an average use of 11.5 miles per hour.

Taking the nearly 3400 hours, and multiplying that against a 25 miles per hour average that a city/suburban patrol unit might see, that would equal 85,000 miles.... or 45 miles an hour average that a highway patrol unit might see, that would equal 153,000 miles.

Am I looking at this correctly?

It may have been a Chicago patrol car... My truck's average speed is 16 mph.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

I would buy it without hesitation!

I would buy it without hesitation also.

About 6 months ago a friend bought a 2004 city of Miami P71..It had 7200 hours on it which would bring his real mileage to 340K miles..So far it has been Ok..According to service records his car was serviced every 3K miles by fleet..It also was a take home car.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
More or less.

I would buy it without hesitation!

Ditto!

Is this a Crown Victoria, Impala or Charger?

I can only speak for the bulk of PD's in my area which is Westchester COunty NY. Pretty afluent and IIRC it's 2nd or 3rd wealthiest county per capits in the US. I bring this up because I know of no depart (there are 43) here that dumps a patrol car with low mileage such as that. My dept (city) keeps out well out past 100k and often to 180k!!! That's a city parol car and only 4 square mile radius.

Maybe look at this with a very critical eye.

If it is an Impala or a Charger I would not buy it. However, if it is a Ford Crown Victoria P71, then I would give it good consideration. The CVs are great cars.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I'm looking at a 2009 Police package. Odometer reads less than 40,000 miles, but it has nearly 3,400 hours on the hour meter.

By the low, low miles, and (in comparison) the high, high engine hours, I'm assuming that this was a supervisor's car that sat and idled a LOT, and was not a patrol unit.

Taking the nearly 3400 hours, and multiplying that against a 25 miles per hour average that a city/suburban patrol unit might see, that would equal 85,000 miles.... or 45 miles an hour average that a highway patrol unit might see, that would equal 153,000 miles.

For a reference, my '07 Pontiac Grand Prix has 93,600 miles and 3,067 hours.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I don't think mrsilv04 is a member of the Panther fan club, I am guessing it is something else.

I think deep down he has a soft spot for the P71 Police Interceptor.

Doesn't everyone half a soft spot for the Panther? I secretly would like a P71 with some nice pipes on it and some motor mods, and I'm usually someone who gravitates towards Japanese and German cars.

Any update? Did you buy the car? Would love to see a picture if you did!

It sold for $6900.

I couldn't get over the 3400 hours on it.

In my neck of the woods the 2009 P71 Police Interceptors with around 40k miles and around 3K hours are going for between 10-12K so that was a steal..If it was serviced well [Miami-Dade services their cars every 3K miles] that should have been a non issue..The bulk of the P71's have a lot more miles and a lot more idle hours.

I could only imagine what the idle hours are on the 2005 and older P71 Police Interceptors without the idle hour meter.

I think just about every single car on the road down here has a lot of idle hours as people keep them idling a lot when they go into the store when they have other people and pets in them..Even in the winter..I had a Expedition parked next to me last week in Miami Beach running for at least 5 hours to keep their dogs nice and cool while the owners had a nice long dinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back