SOCOM II or AR15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: hatt
I don't know if firearm designers get all caught up in the caliber wars. They build guns in the calibers that are wanted by the people who write checks. John Garand built his famous rifle for .276 when the army wanted that. Then upsized to .30-06 when they decided to stay that route. The .276 Garand was lighter, with less recoil, held 10 rounds vs 8 with the same basic actual ammo effectiveness.

Wasn't the switch to 30-06 due to the HUGE stockpiles of that round from WW1 and using the 1903 Springfield rifle up until the beginning of WW2?

The U.S. Army for the longest time was extremely frugal borderlining on cheap. So yes, MscArthur basically overrode the U.S. Army Ordnance and ordered the Garand to be adapted to the 30-06 round. The 276 Pedersen round was a nice reduced caliber round that passed all the requirements of the time.

And weapons designers nowadays don't get into heated discussions but if you read around, back in the late 40's through the mid 60's it was a very hot topic in Army Ordnance. There were two distinct camps, the small caliber high velocity crowd, and the traditional full power camp who basically considered even the T65/7.62 NATO round an "intermediate" round, which is somewhat laughable to me.

I would say that if you are shooting out to 300 yards, a properly matched ammo to gun combo in 5.56 is perfectly suitable. The biggest problem with the lethality of the 5.56 round is that over time was have tightened our twist rates and shortened our barrels. The early tests with 55gr ammo, a 1 in 14 twist barrel, and a high velocity showed wounds in combat that surprised soldiers used to the 30-06 and 7.62 NATO. That combo produced fragmenting and tumbling. Later studies by the military say that the change to a 1 in 12 twist (to pass arctic conditions accuracy requirements) may have reduced lethality up to 40%( I believe it was the Hall Study). Shows just how dependent the proper combo of ammo and gun is for that concept.

Last edited:
Twist rates have no practical impact on terminal performance. A bullet designed to tumble and fragment is going to do so whether a 1:7 or 1:14 twist. You don't have to look any further than why they started using 1:12. Cold air was slightly more dense than warm air and caused barely stale bullets to become unstable. Flesh is about 1000 times denser than air. Twist rates can't overcome that difference. Now the shorter barrels have certainly reduced the performance of certain bullets. Likely why the M855 has such a bad wrap. Two different animals from a 20 vs 14.5 barrel.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Twist rates have no practical impact on terminal performance. A bullet designed to tumble and fragment is going to do so whether a 1:7 or 1:14 twist. You don't have to look any further than why they started using 1:12. Cold air was slightly more dense than warm air and caused barely stale bullets to become unstable. Flesh is about 1000 times denser than air. Twist rates can't overcome that difference. Now the shorter barrels have certainly reduced the performance of certain bullets. Likely why the M855 has such a bad wrap. Two different animals from a 20 vs 14.5 barrel.

And overly stable bullet will resist tumbling for a longer period was the rationale of the study, and that the barely stable 1 in 14 twist barrels created a bullet that immediately started to fragment and tumble on impact, and that the 1 in 12 barrels could not replicated the lethality seen in early field tests. Just going by what the guy at Ordnance said in his report.

But I agree that that loss of velocity due to chopped barrel lengths really really have hurt performance of the 5.56 round. In a carbine length barrel Id probably prefer a 7.62x39mm or 6.5 Grendel type intermediate cartridges.

30 years ago I bought a new Springfield National Match M1A (M-14 copy) for ~$2500. It was a beautiful rifle, but it was the biggest POS I ever owned. At 100 yards with a Springfield scope, it couldn't stay on target. I had numerous other people shoot the rifle to make sure it wasn't me. They all had the same results. My .357 revolver held better groups @ 100 yards. The fired brass was very deformed. It looked like someone reamed 2 different chamber off center from each other. I would never own another Springfield rifle. I also owned a Mini-14 Ranch Rifle that was a POS, but I paid less than $250 new, so it didn't bother me as much as $2500 for the M1A. If you get a mini-14, send it out to get a heavy barrel installed. I heard they shoot great with a heavy barrel. The Mini-14 was probably my best mud puddle blaster I owned: It wasn't accurate, but it never jammed.

I suggest a AR15 type rifle without all the [censored] attached. Get the older M16-A2 style.

If you want something cheap, get an SKS.

^^Loobed,

I have a Mini-30 that I purchased years ago. Sadly, it was within months before they re-tooled to fix Mini platform accuracy issues.

So, sadly, it is a beautiful Mini-30 stainless with a synthetic black stock, but accuracy isn't that great.

But, when you get on that trigger in a sand pit with that bad guy ammo, it is a lot of fun and dirt cheap to shoot. There is just something about the sound of 7.62x39 ammo that is just creepy. Puts up the hairs on your arms.

If you don't have at least one 7.62x39 plinker, you're in for a treat.

You can also get decent Winchester soft nose 7.62x39 deer loads for short range that aren't too hard to find. Have seen some at Canadian Tire years ago even.

Originally Posted By: Falken
^^Loobed,

I have a Mini-30 that I purchased years ago. Sadly, it was within months before they re-tooled to fix Mini platform accuracy issues.

So, sadly, it is a beautiful Mini-30 stainless with a synthetic black stock, but accuracy isn't that great.

But, when you get on that trigger in a sand pit with that bad guy ammo, it is a lot of fun and dirt cheap to shoot. There is just something about the sound of 7.62x39 ammo that is just creepy. Puts up the hairs on your arms.

If you don't have at least one 7.62x39 plinker, you're in for a treat.

You can also get decent Winchester soft nose 7.62x39 deer loads for short range that aren't too hard to find. Have seen some at Canadian Tire years ago even.

You ever have any trouble shooting steel case com-block ammo in that mini-30? I've been wanting one for awhile, but have heard stories about them not firing hard primered Russian ammo reliably.

I have heard the same thing. Thats one of the reasons I have never considered owning one.

Last edited:
All you have to do is get an extra power hammer spring for the hard primer combloc ammo issue. Had to do this for my M1 Carbine, never had a problem since. Pretty sure Wolff springs sells an extra power hammer spring for a Mini 30.

As Robenstein said, you can get an aftermarket spring with extra tension, and I believe you can get an upgraded firing pin too but never looked into it.

All I have shot is surplus laquered hard-primered ammo by the case.

I figured, the money saved shooting com-bloc ammo pays for the gun in an afternoon. So I thought I'd buy a new firing pin if it broke and replace it, no big deal.

I have had maybe 5 shots total that failed to fire, but you just carefully eject them away from you and feed the next round.

So, no, the hard primer and the broken firing pins aren't an issue.

With the accuracy fixes on the new Mini-30's and the ability to shoot cheap ammo, and an interesting and cool looking useful cartridge to boot, makes it hard to pass up.

Especially since the Mini platform is a low cost hardware store gun. Maybe I'll buy a new Mini-30 and only use Winchester ammo out of it and keep my old one for steel cased ammo.

The one thing that would really give the 30 a leg up on an AK is if it could use cheap reliable magazines. Or is there something available now that I am not aware of?? I know with the mini 14 you only want to use ruger mags. Has magpul or someone come out with a good mag for the mini30?

I have the DPMS version of the AR-10 target. It's accurate, fun to shoot, heavy, powerful and smooth. I like all the AR's but the AR-10 is my absolute favorite, by a very large margin. Quite simply, it's a real do-it-all gun.

The Mini 30 has also evolved into a very nice and accurate rifle, and it's also a favorite.

I leave the 223 stuff for my wife to shoot.

Before people complain too much about the cost of 308 ammo. I simply don't see that as a factor. If you are using match ammo, it's all pricey, regardless of caliber. If you are simply plinking, there are inexpensive options in every caliber.

Not a huge fan of the AK's. While they are reliable, they are often not great in the accuracy department. Remember, I'm not a warrior, so I'd rather have serious long range accuracy for range days.

I just watched the magpul video where he can reliably land AK rounds on a steel siloet at 500yds using only a wood table to rest the rifles. Pretty impressive, and for the 7.62 AK he just had to hold over more than the other. You aren't going to punch x's at that range, but it's very combat effective.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
I just watched the magpul video where he can reliably land AK rounds on a steel siloet at 500yds using only a wood table to rest the rifles. Pretty impressive, and for the 7.62 AK he just had to hold over more than the other. You aren't going to punch x's at that range, but it's very combat effective.

Of course, the steel silhouettes aren't shooting back...

True, some of them can be quite good with quality ammo, at least until the barrel gets nice and hot.

It's been my AK range experience that cheap, surplus ammo is not super accurate. And, to make matters worse, as I continue to fire away, the barrel gets nice and hot, and my target looks like swiss cheese, a nice wide pattern. It's simply not a laser like my AR-10 clone.

I'm going for match grade accuracy.

AK, not horrible at all:

-3-5.jpg

DPMS at 100 yards:

4642d1323913893t-dpms-lr-308-target-package-target.jpg

Last edited:
Great rifles, but I'd step into the 21st century and update, get a Scar 17.

The short M1A is an OK rifle to fire; a bit snappy I really prefer the 18 and 20 in barrel versions. But for all the M1A's good points that I love, I have to admit its dated at this point.

I love all the old .30 caliber battle rifles and own most of them, but they are like old classic cars at this point. Great but the world has marched on, FN really changed the game here.

The Scar is easy to shoot, easy to shoot well, and accurate as heck for a good shooter, all plastic so pretty much hose it out, not much in the way of care is needed. Also the ergo's are just better, and they are lighter.

Having said that I'm going to get an FN Fal and SR25 next...

If you want to stick to 5.56 the AR is still king here, any good name brand will do fine. I personally just stick to Colt.

Last edited:
First of all, thanks for all the great input. Or family suffered a personal tragedy with the passing of my father so this was put on the back burner for a while.

What I decided on was to pick up a Colt 6940 now and get a Springfield Scout or Loaded M1A next year.

Originally Posted By: Tempest

Of course, the steel silhouettes aren't shooting back...

And that would apply to all weapons in all calibers. I doubt a foe shooting back specifically effects the accuracy of the AK platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back