Mobil 1 TDT, 5W40, 4530 Miles, 2 Years, Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Oil has been in service for 2 years.
Code:
Date Sampled 13-Oct-12

Miles on Unit 39270

Miles on Oil 4530

Oil Brand Mobil 1 TDT

Oil Grade 5W40

Oil Added None

Filter Mobil 1

Metals (ppm)

Iron (Fe) 9

Chromium (Cr)
Lead (Pb)
Copper (Cu) 4

Tin (Sn) 1

Aluminum (Al)
Nickel (Ni)
Silver (Ag)
Titanium (Ti)
Vanadium (V)

Contaminants (ppm)

Silicon (Si) 8

Sodium (Na) 2

Potassium (K)
Water (%)
Coolant No

Additives (ppm)

Magnesium (Mg) 894

Calcium (Ca) 1300

Barium (Ba)
Phosphorus (P) 1120

Zinc (Zn) 1340

Molybdenum (Mo)
Boron (B) 75

Physical Tests

Viscosity (cSt 100C) 13.8

Fuel %
Soot % Infrared 0.1

Physical/Chemical

Base Number (mgKOH/g) 7.3

Comments: All wear levels appear within acceptable limits. Silicon level (dirt/sealant material) satisfactory. Water content acceptable. Fuel dilution satisfactory. Viscosity within specified operating range.

Nice. What year is the Silverado?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks really good considering the time in service, even if the miles in use were low.
Residual TBN is impressive.

I got about a year and maybe 2 k miles on tdt 5w40 in my la 318 short tripper.

I'd like to know the TBN remaining on mine. I'd enjoy a UOA on mine, it just is not in the budget.

Very low milage for a " truck guy "

I drive that much in few months and beside trips from LA and school i dont do anything else.

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
Very low milage for a " truck guy "

I drive that much in few months and beside trips from LA and school i dont do anything else.

Oh I love driving it. Just doesn't make sense as a commuter vehicle anymore. It's got a 52 gallon tank that costs about $220 to fill now. So I mainly use it to pull a 6000 lb rv travel trailer to summer vacation in Colorado or to move the occasional piano or load of tile for a friend.

The oil sampled in this UOA is still in service. My goal with this UOA and the future ones I will do on this oil is to try to figure out how much of a factor age has on motor oil.

Right at UAs; wear and contaminants low with vis and TBN good. No reason not to extend. Probably could double it easily.

KUDOS to you for not dumping this; most other folks would have already changed it by now (twice) ...
That you want to actually use factual data collection and review it with rational decision making to choose the OCI point is refreshing, to say the least.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back