Winter tires for a 2012 Toyota Sienna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I'm looking at winter tire options for my wife's 2012 Toyota Sienna. Current OEM tires are Michelin Primacy MXV4s 235/60/17. We live in the northern NJ suburbs. Last winter (aside from the Halloween snow storm) was relatively mild. Typical winters tend to have 5 or 6 accumulating snow events. Since my wife works in the medical field, there are days where she has to be at work--even with snow on the ground.

I've looked at the usual suspects on Tire Rack and Discount Tire Direct.

Tire Rack sells the Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70s, Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT, and two Pirelli options (one that can be studded [Winter Carving Edge], the other more performance oriented [Scorpion Ice & Snow]).

Discount Tire Direct (as well as a local retailer) offers the Yokohama W.Drive option.

My questions are:
1) Does anyone have experience with the Goodyear, Pirelli, or Yokohama winter tire offerings?
2) Any opinions as to whether I should consider one of the performance offerings (Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow, Yokohama W.Drive) -- or opt for the traditional winter tire? I like the idea of not compromising on winter traction (particularly on the kid hauler), but also realize that the tires will likely be driven on dry roads 75% of the time. I've also taken into consideration posts on this forum about opting for H-rated tires if a vehicle is driven regularly on the highway (not sure this is applicable to winter tires as well).

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Last edited:
What do u have on right now?
Michelin all season tires with good meat on them should be adequate.
I don't rotate, so every other year I get new front tires. So in winter I have 4 nearly new tires.

We have 10,000 miles on the OEM Michelins. They are at 7/32 and beginning to slip when accelerating up hills in the rain. According to Tire Rack specs, the 235/60/17 Primacy MXV4s start at 9.5/32 when new. (I'm not sure why other Primacy MXV4 sizes start at 10/32 or 11/32)

Neither my wife or I are particularly aggressive drivers. In fact, we've always had good wear on other vehicles and tires. This may be a combination of the Sienna and/or tire combination.

I'll likely stay with OEM tires on my daily driver (FX), but would rather play it safe with the family minivan.

Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
How much meat do u have on the oem michelins?

My experience has been that even cheap snow tires are a big improvement over all season tires. I had Firestone Winterforce tires on a 1992 Chevy S-10 and it was a big improvement.

As far as speed ratings, if you read some of the threads he posts in, member CapriRacer recommends H rated tires, as you mentioned. But in a recent thread he explains that he recommends them because they have a cap ply, but there are lower speed rated tires that also have a cap ply. My T-rated Hankook H727 tires have one, for example.

More info in this thread:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2772684&page=1

Another option you might consider is ditching the OEM tires on Craigslist or alltogether and getting some all seasons better suited to winter driving. The Nokian WR G2's are available in your size and then you could avoid the spring/fall switchover. Unfortunately the Sienna's have TPMS which add to the spring/fall hassle.

Originally Posted By: eugenem
............ Any opinions as to whether I should consider one of the performance offerings (Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow, Yokohama W.Drive) -- or opt for the traditional winter tire? I like the idea of not compromising on winter traction (particularly on the kid hauler), but also realize that the tires will likely be driven on dry roads 75% of the time..................

If you don't require ice traction, only snow and wet/dry traction, then a performance winter is a good choice. But if you frequently encounter ice (and deep snow) on your commute, then a studded tire or a studless "ice & snow" is the safer choice. IMO

bepperb: Thanks for this suggestion. I had looked at these tires for a former vehicle and didn't realize that they made it in my size. The Nokian website does not list the size, but one of the internet tire stores does.

For any 3rd generation Sienna (FWD) owners that are looking:
Nokian WR G2 SUV - 235/60/17 106V XL

Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Another option you might consider is ditching the OEM tires on Craigslist or alltogether and getting some all seasons better suited to winter driving. The Nokian WR G2's are available in your size and then you could avoid the spring/fall switchover. Unfortunately the Sienna's have TPMS which add to the spring/fall hassle.

If you have room to store the "summer tires"

then I would just purchase a winter tire and wheel package from tirerack.

out of the tires you listed I'd go for the goodyear WRT's or the blizzack ws-70's

if you buy a package from DTD make sure to avoid generic "unique" brand wheels they are too generic and usually stud centric vs hub centric.

cheap steelies from tirerack are hub centric and fine.

nokian(hakka 5 or r), michelin xice2 or xice3, yokohama ig-30, continental Extreme winter contact.. are also all top shelf studless max traction type winter tires.

some other are slightly worse but still way better than all-seasons.

for new jersey I'd avoid studs(if they are legal)

you could also get something like general altimax arctics or firestone winterforce but you would give up some ice traction

Last edited:
I am sorry, but nokians over michelins, I live in gr Mi, 170 inches of snow is norm, I have driven my family mini van with all season Mich tires for 6 winters without incident.
U can go winter tires for the 3 days you will see snow, the winter tires might not last the winter, ;-)

Consumer Reports has their winter tire tests in the latest edition. My best choice for the conditions we have here (with wet braking a high priority) is the Hankook i*cept evo W310. And they're cheap. I'm considering buying them mail order from simpletire.com and having them mounted at Walmart ($11+$1.50 disposal). In addition, these Hankooks are H speed rated, so they might have a more substantial sidewall than a lower rated tire--always a consideration on a relatively tall, heavy vehicle like the minivan.

Originally Posted By: eugenem

2) Any opinions as to whether I should consider one of the performance offerings

We've used a normal winter tire (Bridgestone WS-60) for the past four winters in our 2008 Sienna. It drives identically to the OEM Michelin tires, no tread squirm at all. For a minivan that's driven normally, I don't see any need to step up to a performance winter tire.

Originally Posted By: bepperb

+1. My wife had incredible luck with these tires year round and she works in medical field with 35 mile commute each way.

If you're willing to drive to Sussex... Tire King (behind the A&P Plaza) offers good deals. Usually, the mounted price (not including sales tax) is very close to the TireRack price (not including installation).

another option is way up in Montague, NJ... http://www.mmautocycle.com/ Mike there is a retired Toyota Master Tech (used to work at Halterman's Toyota/VW).

THe Nokian WR G2 in the 235/60r17 is most likely the SUV version, which has a different tread pattern and different belted reinforcement...
http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11955&group=2.01&name=Nokian+WRG2+SUV

likewise, the Nokian R SUV is available in 235/60r17

Another good place is Eurotire in Fairfield. They are (or used to) be a sponsor of the local chapter of Porsche Club of America.

stay away from performance snow tires on the minivan. they are designed to offer decent performance when the roads are dry or wet but not ice or snow covered, go with either studless or studdable snows. When TSHTF your wife will thank you.

You'd probably be just fine on 10K Primacy tires.
If you want winters, we've had Blizzak Revos on the '97 Accord for the last two winters, and they seem really good.
It's about as hard to break traction with these tires on packed snow with this Accord as it is with either of our AWD Subies on A/S rubber.
So, if you want dedicated winter tires, I'd recommend the Blizzak.

so fordfocus, which one do you prefer in heavy snow and ice condition. blizzak dm-v1 or michelin latitude xi2. thank for your time.

Originally Posted By: Gunner
stay away from performance snow tires on the minivan. they are designed to offer decent performance when the roads are dry or wet but not ice or snow covered, go with either studless or studdable snows. When TSHTF your wife will thank you.

I have driven through blizzards on performance snow tires, Hankook Icebear W300 to exact. I do give up some traction compared to the Nokian Hakka RSI and General Altimax Arctic in the past.... but the extent of that traction lost isn't exactly what I call dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back