Little Red (aka my '00 VW GTI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an old pic, but she still looks the same when she's clean.
DSCF2318.jpg

I don't post much on here anymore, but thought I would give an update on my old GTI. "Little Red" aka my 2000 VW GTI 1.8T, that I bought in 2003 with 15k miles, is still going strong and just turned over 209K miles.

This past week, I had the following work done by my local mechanic (I only do oil changes myself anymore):
New water pump and timing belt
New front brake pads
New passenger side axle
New driver side tie rod end

All repairs were done to correct known issues I've been having. Little Red is running like new, and I plan to keep driving her until...

also thought I would mention that I only change the oil every 10-12K miles with the cheapest synthetic oil I can find. I drive 100 miles a day highway, so the oil doesn't stay in for too long.

Thanks for the update - I've noticed you're busy and not able to be here, and I've been curious how your GTI is. Glad to here it's running great!

Originally Posted By: rationull
209k, very nice! Wouldn't have known it from the pic! Are you still on the original turbo?

Original turbo.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
Originally Posted By: rationull
209k, very nice! Wouldn't have known it from the pic! Are you still on the original turbo?

Original turbo.

Wow! As a fellow turbo-4 owner, that's great to hear!

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Nice to see you around again.

How's the 01M transmission holding up?

I would say it's doing "OK". I'm hoping it will last another 100k before it gives up the ghost. Given my driving style, I don't think that's out of the question.

The original picture I posted was from a couple of years ago. Here are a couple of pics taken today after my son & I gave Little Red a bath. Not too bad for a '00 VW with 209,700 miles. Sorry for the bad glare. The AL sun was very bright today.

DSCF9133.jpg

DSCF9132.jpg

What's up BITOGers? I've been away for a couple of years, and thought I'd update an OLD post from several years back. I'm STILL driving this car. She's looking rougher now than she was in these pictures, and some paint's flaking off now. She just turned over 293K miles a few days ago. I'm driving Little Red till her wheels fall off, then I'm getting new wheels and I'll drive them off.

What's up BITOGers? I've been away for a couple of years, and thought I'd update an OLD post from several years back. I'm STILL driving this car. She's looking rougher now than she was in these pictures, and some paint's flaking off now. She just turned over 293K miles a few days ago. I'm driving Little Red till her wheels fall off, then I'm getting new wheels and I'll drive them off.

And still original turbo and no electrical issues? How is the gas mileage? And what oil viscosity do you use?

Originally Posted By: RusskiBoSS

And still original turbo and no electrical issues? How is the gas mileage? And what oil viscosity do you use?

Original turbo. No electrical gremlins. I use M1 High Mileage 10w40.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Any other problems since your last update?

Last year, I had to have the radiator, fan, air conditioning, and alternator replaced. Most folks in their right mind would have ditched this old car by now.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back