hy-per lube zinc replacement additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, but I have seen it on the shelf at O'rileys for a while and wondered the actual composition, anyone got a UOA?

Originally Posted By: Donald
If I had a flat tappet engine that needed additional zinc I would use Amsoil ZROD oil rather than an additive.

Agreed.

I dont recall it having any real zinc in it. Redline or zddplus, zddpmax is actual Zinc and phos..

Be careful if you use zddplus, as it is VERY concentrated.

I was playing around with it and SuperTech Full Syn and got Zn 1859 and 1860 ppm on two batches, when mixed 60ml to 5 quarts.
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Hi Sorry I should have mentioned the Hy-Per Lube Zinc Replacement doesn't have an Zinc in it. Its a Synthetic Ester Based Product that claims to work better than ZDDP based on Independant testing. I have looked on the Interent and on BITOG and I can't find that much information on it. The company has been around for 50 years or so yet not much information. They make a Coolant Wetter product that seems to be much more popular.

If I was looking to add ZDDP I would buy the Lucas Break In additive as I have heard that is a good product.

Last edited:
I have used this kind of polymer chemistry in reduced ZDDP (experimental) formulations and I found I could reduce viscosity and still lower wear rates.

Suggested dossge ratio is about 1oz Hyper:13oz PCMO so what I suggest (since I don't see any viscosity or VII data) is adding 2-3oz of this stuff to a quart of oil and have the mix analyzed to make sure the VOA viscosity is still in the 0w20 range or whatever range of oil viscosity you may be using.

The polymer ester I use is about 140 weight (approx. 35 cSt) in its virgin form, but I suspect this stuff is "cut-down" to a 20 or 30 weight.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DanMiller
Hi Sorry I should have mentioned the Hy-Per Lube Zinc Replacement doesn't have an Zinc in it. Its a Synthetic Ester Based Product that claims to work better than ZDDP based on Independant testing. I have looked on the Interent and on BITOG and I can't find that much information on it. The company has been around for 50 years or so yet not much information. They make a Coolant Wetter product that seems to be much more popular.

If I was looking to add ZDDP I would buy the Lucas Break In additive as I have heard that is a good product.

It seems like it's similar to Lubegard Biotech Engine Protectant.

Hi yes it seems similar to Lubegard but I can't get Lubegard Biotech in my area. I am hoping this is just as good but there isn't that much information on it.

I don't reveal the type or source.

I am confident the LubeGuard LXE esters and the HyperLube polymer esters are NOT the same chemistry.

The one thing that we should question with any additive of this type is how the Mfg. determined the dosage levels considering they both say their third-party-additives (TPA) can be used in conventional, Blends, and full synthetic oils?

Hopefully, they did extensive testing.

Hi I just read that Hy-per Lube was started by Howard Hilton in the 1950's and there is a Howard Hilton that is President on Internation Lubricatants Inc ( Lubegard ) It could be there is no relation today but it interesting...

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I have used this kind of polymer chemistry in reduced ZDDP (experimental) formulations and I found I could reduce viscosity and still lower wear rates.

Suggested dossge ratio is about 1oz Hyper:13oz PCMO so what I suggest (since I don't see any viscosity or VII data) is adding 2-3oz of this stuff to a quart of oil and have the mix analyzed to make sure the VOA viscosity is still in the 0w20 range or whatever range of oil viscosity you may be using.

So Hy-per lube isn't just another Lucas type oil stabilizer?

I've got 5 bottles of this in my basement. When I emailed the company about using it in a shared sump bike they said not to. I've used it in my mustang and truck with no noticeable running differences or fuel economy increases.
They told me it's sone kind of polymer blend that coats metal creating a super slick surface. Mos2 works better and costs less. At least the mos2 showed a fuel economy increase.
I never did a uoa so I cannot comment on wear rates. It is very thick in the bottle

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I've got 5 bottles of this in my basement. When I emailed the company about using it in a shared sump bike they said not to. I've used it in my mustang and truck with no noticeable running differences or fuel economy increases.
They told me it's sone kind of polymer blend that coats metal creating a super slick surface. Mos2 works better and costs less. At least the mos2 showed a fuel economy increase.
I never did a uoa so I cannot comment on wear rates. It is very thick in the bottle

How much hyper lube did you put in the engine and how much MOS2 did you use?

What brand of Mos2 did you use Lubro Moly ?, I tried it (Lubro Moly ) and I didn't notice any differences to be fair I didn't leave it in that long. Also how much did you use ?

Last edited:
I tried the hyper lube when I first bought my mustang so around 4 years ago. I didn't discover mos2 until about 2 years ago.
So it was about 2 years apart in treating the mustang.
I used a full bottle of the hyper-lube,and a full can of mos2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back