Oil Drain Plug - What am I looking at here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I don't see a problem with what you have - if it's not leaking. You could wrap one layer of Teflon tape around the small bolt as extra insurance. The oil will drain a bit slower out of the small hole, but why make a big job for yourself if it's not necessary?

Originally Posted By: shell_user
That in my mechanics eyes looks to be a crack above this "fix it" plug. It probably would be better to get a new oil pan honestly that comes with the "correct" drain plug.

Looks like just a casting line to me.

Originally Posted By: flstffxe
Originally Posted By: shell_user
That in my mechanics eyes looks to be a crack above this "fix it" plug. It probably would be better to get a new oil pan honestly that comes with the "correct" drain plug.

Looks like just a casting line to me.

Same here, that is just part of the embossed design of the pan, no issue with that at all.

Have you own this car since new? If so, you should be upset at whoever did that without telling you. Yes, I understand drain pan strips and mechanics routinely fix them but they should own up to it and let the owner know. Or is this something of the line "the less owner knows, the better will be his health!" I seem to be getting more trouble when I see them screwing it up.

Dont take the larger plug out. That is likely a self tapper repair.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Have you own this car since new? If so, you should be upset at whoever did that without telling you. Yes, I understand drain pan strips and mechanics routinely fix them but they should own up to it and let the owner know. Or is this something of the line "the less owner knows, the better will be his health!" I seem to be getting more trouble when I see them screwing it up.

I have had the car for ten years and I am disappointed no one told me this was done. I guess there is another reason why I want to get some basic competence in doing this stuff myself. I'm also surprised no one tried to sell me a new pan because of it. From looking at it over an hour, it looks like it leaks very slightly.

I would have to fix that.
sick.gif

What kind of car is it? (easy pan or hard pan)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I would say it's a repair kit for the stripped threads. I would just drain it out the small plug.

+1 I would go about your oil change. Looks like they stripped the threads at some point and this was most likely a repair kit. Looks sturdy to me and as long as it doesn't leak I wouldn't bother fixing it. How old is your car?

Piggy back plug. I have used them. I had a 2.7 sludge monster. The threads on the aluminum pan were worn out from the frequent oil changes. Would drip. This solved the problem without replacing the pan. I would use an adjustable on the bigger 'nut' and undo the smaller one. Stopped my leak. Used it for several oil changes before I sold old sludgy.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I would have to fix that.
sick.gif

What kind of car is it? (easy pan or hard pan)

2000 Honda Civic EX. The pan doesn't look too difficult from some DIY videos people have posted. Definitely an advantage of having this car.

Like I said earlier, before I start replacing anything I'd like to try and nail down everything that needs to get done.

Hello, You've driven this car 10 YEARS and all you can say is that you think it leaks slightly? Do you check your oil regularly? Is the leakage even worth mentioning? Is there a big pool of oil under your car where you generally park it? At 13 model years of age there will certainly be things which need to be done on your car. At first blush this might just take a lower priority. CHEERS, Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back