2010 Ford Escape w/27k miles, black trans fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: [email protected]
Not going to turn my back on Ford but I thought much more of Fords transmissions.

My Ford has over 209K miles on it's original vintage 1995 automatic transmission. I didn't even bother to change the transmission fluid until the car had 180K miles on it. If I were you I would just change the transmission fluid often and I otherwise wouldn't worry about it. I changed the transmission fluid on a 2002 Subaru Forester at around 120K miles, and the fluid was really dark and smelled terrible, but it still works just fine even today and that was more then two years ago. If your fluid doesn't smell really really bad (and the bad smell is rather undescribable other than really bad) then I wouldn't worry about it. From what you say it's working just fine.

Last edited:
Does the 6F35 transmission perhaps have carbon friction discs? This would make the fluid go black under normal and healthy conditions.

I think there is more going on than Ford is letting on, when I drained off the slightly over full amount the dealer had added on my 6F35 is was black and had a lot of metal flakes. It was 20 ounces over-full. Glad to be rid of the headache. This was with only 12,700 miles on the clock

The metal flakes may not be as alarming as you think. This was the first change and you dumped out the breakin debris. It'd be curious to see what the next change looks like.

Didnt' dump fluid, extracted the 20 oz. Trans was going south bad. Banging into reverse or no reverse, 4-5 flares/slips, 1-2 shift was pretty much never right after they reflashed the computer the 1st time, pretty much always a delay then a harsh shift. Not like a shift kit type shift either, there would be a delay, computer would shut throttle then 2nd gear would engage very rough. This was dramatic enough it affected your forward motion. I loved my Fusion, but that trans is the biggest piece of garbage ever. The first time it messed up, it shifted from 2nd to neutral and I had to coast off the road and restart to get it to the dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back