CLeaning a VVT turbo???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 Chevrolet LBZ Duramax. It has 39k miles.

I've been getting some codes with loss of power. Apparently, its pretty common and will end up with turbo replacement for stuck vanes on the turbo.

Anyone ever clean the turbo while in the truck? Trying to avoid a $3500+ charge on my truck if at all possible.

Thanks

I don't hear of many turbos on the dmax getting stuck veins. What I would try is to go out for a hard drive and see if you can free the veins up. Does your truck sit alot? That can cause rust buildup and make them stick too.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I don't hear of many turbos on the dmax getting stuck veins. What I would try is to go out for a hard drive and see if you can free the veins up. Does your truck sit alot? That can cause rust buildup and make them stick too.

Yeah, for the last 2 years I only put about 4-5k miles a year on it. When I do drive it, it is pulling my camper (11k lbs).

I've got a new vane position sensor coming. When I replace that, I'm gonna go drive the [censored] out of it for a while.

Put some good fuel additive in the tank, the turbo can stick due to carbon buildup. Drive it like you stole it, its goverened so you wont hurt it.
I have seen 6.0l fords do the same thing.

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
Put some good fuel additive in the tank, the turbo can stick due to carbon buildup. Drive it like you stole it, its goverened so you wont hurt it.
I have seen 6.0l fords do the same thing.

I use Schaeffers every time I fill up.

Drive the snot out of it. Get it up to temperature and go hog-wild with the WOT runs. Blast a bunch of on-ramps. Those things move for being as heavy as they are. Get the oil pumping and the vanes moving.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Drive the snot out of it. Get it up to temperature and go hog-wild with the WOT runs. Blast a bunch of on-ramps. Those things move for being as heavy as they are. Get the oil pumping and the vanes moving.

I will, just hope it's not too little too late.

The last few times it's acted up and thrown codes was when I WAS running it hard pulling a load.

Originally Posted By: Scooby
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

Yeah, for the last 2 years I only put about 4-5k miles a year on it. When I do drive it, it is pulling my camper (11k lbs).

I've got a new vane position sensor coming. When I replace that, I'm gonna go drive the [censored] out of it for a while.

This is not very common, but I believe it is far more likely on the seldom used versions like yours.

Mine (09 Dmax) is also a tow vehicle, but you have to take her out on the freeway and do an 'Italian Tune Up' once in a while.

Fuel cleaner can't help parts it does not see.

Are there any codes? Maybe there are, but not a dash light?
Have a boost gauge? maybe getting one would help diagnose this.

It is apparently fairly common on the LLY and LBZ from cruising dieselplace and duramaxforums.

Its thrown p003a and another one earlier...cant remember.

No boost gauge.

I drive my 6.0 PSD HARD for that reason. I pull trailers weighing over 35k.. hold er' to the floor.. I had it floored for over 20 minutes one time when it was stock and I was grossing 46k in 6% hills. it STAYED at 3900rpm for over 20 minutes.. NO ISSUES. now slightly modded with 431RWHP/900ftlbs

best thing to do is LOTS of long WOT runs. other than that not much can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back