Mechanic told me addatives caused my oil leak??

Status
Not open for further replies.
hes kinda right but this doesnt necessarily make him less shady.....the one year ago thang raises doubts

Some solvent based cleaners can be a tad hard on seals, but if it was only 5 minutes and a bunch of crap came out, I say you have more issues than seals. I say quit worrying about the mech and if you don't trust him, don't go there.

As for your issues (and I ain't talking about lack of caps and punct-u-ation): I would run a double dose of Auto-Rx and choose a good oil....replace the seals if need be, after that.

Please read and comment i am completley confussed.

My Buick Skylark just recently started to leak oil. I couldnt see from where it was leaking so i took it in. The mechanic and i was talking and he asked if i used oil addatives and i said well not really to much i switched to a penzoil highmilage and a can of engine restore [which i truley believe helps because i have more power and a bit better gas milage]

But i said i used engine cleaner before i started my new oil. I told him i used 5 minute engine cleaner and a ton of sluge came out and i placed new oil in there and ran it for 100 miles and did another oil change to make sure i got a good amout of the left over sludge out.

He said yeap that stuff eats your seals! i replied i used it almost a year ago and the oil leak is recent. he said its the change of the new oil, engine addative and engine flush.

is this true can that be the cause. i am going to have this fixed next week and i am wondering is this guy trying to swerve me or what. He never said where it is leaking from though and my brother said this guy sounds shady..

whats your opinions?

Yep, engine flushes are hard on your seals. Engine restore can be damaging to your engine also. Lot's of metal content.

-T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back