Shop put WRONG muffler on

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are going to fix this for me, but here is the story. I left my truck for a Dynomax Super Turbo to be installed. They were to get the part. To make a long story short, I got the truck back with a Flowmaster Original 40 Series, which is extremely loud. Check it out:

But that is not the bad part. That video actually sounds great. But after the engine is good an warmed up it sounds like a B52 Bomber when I cruise surface streets. On the freeway it is okay and when the engine is cold not too bad. Love the sound, but they should have gone with a 60 series. Anyway, I am getting the Dynomax as I know that won't be too loud. Also side exit in front of the tire.

So I'll ask a stupid question (because it would maybe be simpler this way): Is there any way to reduce the sound level of this muffler, like a tailpipe insert, and if so, woudl it make much difference?

Where are the exhaust outlets. If they are pointing down, they should be pointing towards the side and in opposite directions. The outlets should exit outside the vehicle, and not underneath. If the sound is coming through the muffler, I don't think you can make it quieter. If the sound is coming out the tail pipe, you might be able to put a restricted on the end, but that would reduce flow. You should also have a cross-over-pipe to help reduce the sound.

Last edited:
Not much you can do short or a different muffler. Perhaps a downturn on the tailpipe so that the exit points to the ground.

here is an old school tip. on the last 2-3 inches reduce the pipe dia by 20%. it wont reduce power much. but it will reduce the sound. maybe save you from replaceing the muffler.

Tailpipe is a turn out in front of the rear tire. I did that old school trick. Have a 2" OD pipe in the 2.5" OD outlet. My 2" extends in about 8.5 inches and blocks over one half the diameter at the curve so that it creates turbulence and a restricted opening of 2.375 by 1.125 approx. This seems to have calmed down a lot of drone and volume but once it is well warmed up, it's all back again.
RangerExhaust2.jpg

Anyway, he won't be able to do the R&R until week after next, so I will get a few kicks for now. My fuel mileage went from 26 to 23 because with this I can't keep my foot out of it. It actually sounds better winding than cruising. OH and that is not rust on the tailpipe, but overspray from some undercoating we put on the truck.

There's no way a 2.3L Mazda/Ranger will ever sound "good" with a noisier muffler.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Not much you can do short or a different muffler. Perhaps a downturn on the tailpipe so that the exit points to the ground.

My understanding is that you don't want to do that, at least not straight at the ground. The sound bounces back and hits the underside of the vehicle making it sound louder inside. That is why if you have dual exhaust you want the exits angled away from each other. If the two sound waves hit each other they bounce back and it makes it louder inside the vehicle also. At least that is what I read, and my old truck seemed to confirm it.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
There's no way a 2.3L Mazda/Ranger will ever sound "good" with a noisier muffler.

There are ways to make it sound good, its not too bad in the video, probably loud for a DD but mine at 4000 rpms on the freeway isn't fun either.

Make it quieter? No. That muffler will get LOUDER when it breaks in. I had a pair of them on my '87 GT T-Top and it was INSANELY LOUD. Sounded like the 4-horsemen were coming for you when you went WOT.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul

So I'll ask a stupid question (because it would maybe be simpler this way): Is there any way to reduce the sound level of this muffler, like a tailpipe insert, and if so, woudl it make much difference?

Does the truck still have the factory resonator? If not, have one installed between the cat and the muffler. It will mellow out the sound, especially at part throttle when crusing.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-1140/overview/

Last edited:
Funny, but this doesn't have a hint of rice sound to it. It has the B-52 Bomber sound and is like low frequency sound torture. I would not run this muffler if I had a muscle car.

A smaller outlet is not going to do that much. I just fitted up a 1.5 sq inch outlet tube 8.5 inches long into the tailpipe and it was still TOO LOUD. Got to be changed out.

What I found out on one of the web sites for these mufflers is that the drone is vibration in the muffler case.

It's your truck - if you like the sound, go for it. That, however, is way too much noise and would drive me insane.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
I remember another thread along these lines where a person requested a specific brand of part and didn't get it.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2654259

If you want a specific brand/model of part installed, you should probably bring it in and have them install it.

Good thread. Yeah, I wrote out specifically what I wanted and said that I was open to suggestions on muffler brand, but do not want rice, drone, or too loud. He said they tried the one I wanted and it was as quiet as stock, tried a Thrush and it was quiet as stock, so he threw the FM40 on, and worse yet it has 2.5" inlet and outlet, but my pipe is 2" and I specified I wanted to stay with 2" piping. When I talked to him today he said he would replace it. I asked if he had the Dynomax laying around the shop still and he said it was not a Dynomax as his suupplier does not have Dynomax. I told him if he had called me I would have said no way to the FM40.

Now he is going to make me wait two weeks to get it fixed. He should stay the evening to do it. I have to get the muffler as he can't get it. So he will owe me a free install and a refund. I suspect I may not get the second part. I will have to document these things because I may be going to the BBB over this.

I won't go so far as to stop pay on the credit card because I had a lot of other work done and if I do that he surely will tell me to forget it. However I could put the Dynomax on myself which is a pain in the rear, why I took it in in the first place. I don't want to do that and have paid for parts and labor then have to do it myself.

To think, I started going to this shop because I heard how they left the dealership because they could not stand the way the dealer would give customers the run around. I may just have to stop in there tomorrow and show him the sheet he had to guide him.

May not need BBB. I have a hold with the credit card company on the total amount of the repair. This will not show up to him, but if I process a complaint then I will get my money back and he will only have the right to dispute it with the credit card company. Needless to say, unless he amazes me and does all the right things, I don't expect I'll be going back to that shop again. I have another shop I have been using for 10+ years that is very good.

In my opinion he should apologize, set up to fix it at my earliest convenience while I wait (and watch that he does it right), refund the wrong part, and pay for the correct muffler too as a gesture of good will. He stands to lose a lot as I have three vehicles and my son has a truck. My son already said he is probably never going there again.

How foolish, all he had to do was pick up the phone. Was he trying to get rid of a spare muffler that was laying around the shop?

Originally Posted By: RiceCake
rice3.jpg

Yeah pretty much.
Sounds like the muffler fell off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back