Camry Rack & Pinion Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of ya'll may have seen my previous thread about this. A friend's 05 Camry has a weird steering issue. The "blockage" for lack of a better term is not as bad now so it is driveable, but it needs the steering rack replaced.

First off, has anyone done this procedure on a 2002-2006 Camry? I'm pretty mechanically competent but I haven't had many opportunities to work on newer cars. Does the R&P just bolt up the frame or does the subframe need to be dropped to get at it?

Second, I'm leaning toward a Cardone remanned unit, looks like it will be about $200-250 after core refund. There are some cheaper units on eBay but I'm leery. I'm open to any recommendations as far as brand, etc.

Thanks.

I would stay away from anything cardone.

Have you priced out a rack from autohausaz or worldpac?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I would stay away from anything cardone.

Have you priced out a rack from autohausaz or worldpac?

BTW - It think Autohaus AZ is a Worldpac distributor that sells online to the public. All their pictures used to say "copyright Worldpac" or something similar in the corner, but they don't seem to now.

Anyway, I've ordered parts form Worldpac before through my local CarQuest. CarQuest owns Worldpac, so my local store can get all the Worldpac parts.

It may also be worth a look at Napa's Altrom import line and Beck Arnley.

I haven't used any Cardone parts, but I've read lots of bad stuff about them.

Last edited:
Dumb question, if I may: have you changed the PSF to something synthetic like Maxlife ATF or Mobil1?

Reason I ask, and I don't know the particulars of the rack you're referring to, is my '95 Camry was getting stiff, especially on cooler mornings. I cracked the fitting at the rack itself to make a controlled leak and drained the system while it idled. Once done, I added Mobil1 ATF and had zero issues for the next 150k.

Fluid may not be the issue, but it's a bunch cheaper than a rack. Just my two cents, and good luck.

BTW have you sourced a rack at salvage yards? If it isn't a known problem area, that could be the way to go. Car-part.com can help you find local yards pretty easily.

Quote:
The "blockage" for lack of a better term is not as bad now so it is driveable

Common problem with some Honda vehicles also. Most of the time its a bad pump or valving issues within the pump.

With the car in park or neutral does the steering get easier with increased RPM? Almost normal at 3K?
If so chances are good its the pump.

So the weird thing is that the problem occurs only at certain points in the steering travel. For instance, when the issue arose he was unable to turn the wheels left. They would go from center to right and back with no problem, but as some point left of center the wheel would stop and the pump would groan like when you go lock-to-lock.

He figured out that he could jiggle the wheel a little and it would then proceed beyond the trouble spot. Now he is able to drive it, but it still has a hiccup at the trouble spot.

My initial thought was that it could be a broken tooth on the rack. The mechanic who looked at it also diagnosed it as a bad rack.

Is there something else in the steering rack that could cause this, other than a broken gear tooth?

PSF is nice and cherry red BTW.

AutohausAZ sells a Maval brand for $350 which looks like a good option. I'm a bit leery of putting a used rack in since it isn't my vehicle.

Does this eBay unit look like complete [censored]?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-06-CAMRY-LE-POWER-STEERING-RACK-AND-PINION-ASSEMBLY-/160544781957?fits=Make:Toyota|Model:Camry&hash=item256136f685&item=160544781957&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Got a Maval brand reman unit for $315 from Parts Geek.

Now I'll cross my fingers and hope I can tackle this!

What does a Toyota unit cost? Do they offer remans and also any Toyota stores online who dont mark up as much?

Well he did... against better judgement, but he felt comfortable that he could make it, and he did.

See if you can get an Atsco Rack.. I've have great luck with them.
The Cardone's are hit & miss.. but it all really depends on the competancy of the person doing the rebuild and probably how close it is to 5pm / friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back