Can you bend an aluminum rim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It just came to my attention one of the 21 year old 15" aluminum OE Volvo rims on my car is bent. It's an offset design and the inner bead flange, being furthest from the hub, is the worst off.

Rookie metallurgist question, but does aluminum bend? I figure it shattered if it hit a pothole hard enough. And, in fact, I've seen this happen. Would this be a casting defect? Has this gone on for twenty odd years with noone noticing? It knocks the tire out of round by 1/8-1/4".

It spent a couple miles with a nearly flat tire, but it was caught before the rim flange was riding on pavement. Could have taken a bridge expansion joint or similar fairly hard. It's sat on the rear axle where not much is going on; I put a new tire on and now have a spin balancer so I can now see how dreadful my gear is.
wink.gif

Forged aluminum wheels can be bent back to a point. Cast aluminum wheels usually only bend one way, then when you try to bend them back, they will break. Most cheaper aluminum wheels are cast. Fuchs are forged

Look on the internet for a rim repair service, and ask them. they will know better.

Thanks, good to know. When I'm in the junkyard I've been assuming unchipped aluminum rims to be true while steelies, who knows?

I have a second set of steelies with snows on them; I am probably going to unmount one next spring and use its true rim for my summer tire.

Recent 5 series BMW in Car and Driver bent its rims constantly!

Some cars do, some don't. I've hit huge potholes at high speeds with 5 adults and luggage in my car and not a peep even with 20 inchers and 35 series tires, it has a lot to do with suspension compliance, tire pressure, many other variables.

I once had a rim repaired in Tampa, can't remember the place, but they're out there. They would repair anything, and did amazing work.

I'm tough on things.

I have my aluminum rims straightened from time to time. Generally when I can't stand it anymore.

There are a few local companies that do this. The work they do is nothing short of incredible.

A co-worker spun his viper and the wheel hit the curb, moderately hard. The repair fixed it perfectly. No bends, no scratches.

If you know of a TRANSWHEEL location place in your area, give them a shot or look them up. At my work we use them for aluminum/chrome wheels and no problems at all using them.

As others have mentioned, they can be fixed. I bent one of my O.Z. Racing Superlegera wheels back in the day and given how much they cost, it was more cost effective to have it repaired than replaced.

It looked brand new when they finished with it.

My MBs use forged aluminum wheels so Im not sure I could bend them... the price of quality...

I've got a very slight flat spot on the inside lip of one of my stock wheels on the Jeep from hitting a massive pothole hidden in a puddle at a pretty good speed. No cracking around it, no air loss or any other issues (it's been like that for 40k miles).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back