Mobil ESP M vs Motul 8100 x-clean: MB Bluetec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone ran motul 8100 x-clean in their bluetec or diesel?

Vehicle in question is a 3l e320 bluetec mercedes with a dpf.
Has 115k miles on it, and is out of its extended warranty.
Oil is always changed no later than 5k miles.

Reason I am asking, is several independent shops are not too fond of using mobil 1.

Not too many oils sold in the US fit the 229.51 specification that are also 5w40.

Would you guys recommend the motul over the mobil 1, lets say ignoring the price difference

Originally Posted By: GreeshaK
Reason I am asking, is several independent shops are not too fond of using mobil 1.

Did they say why?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Valvoline Synpower 5w-40 is easy to find locally ( at NAPA ).

thanks, but how do these three oils compare to each other other than price differences

I know you are looking for MB 229.51 in a 5w40... but isn't that spec a low SAPS oil? I was under the impression that no 5w40 met that.

I bought Mobil 1 ESP M 5w40 at Napa and well it is my first run so I can't say anything other than the car still works lol.

Originally Posted By: GreeshaK
Has anyone ran motul 8100 x-clean in their bluetec or diesel?

Vehicle in question is a 3l e320 bluetec mercedes with a dpf.
Has 115k miles on it, and is out of its extended warranty.
Oil is always changed no later than 5k miles.

Not too many oils sold in the US fit the 229.51 specification that are also 5w40.

Would you guys recommend the motul over the mobil 1, lets say ignoring the price difference

Yes, it takes 9 quarts. But the price from oilchangekits isn't all that great, IMO. Many times you can find M1 ESP on sale at PepBoys for less, and you can get the Mann 821x filter from Amazon for less than $9, probably even less at other websites.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Yes, it takes 9 quarts. But the price from oilchangekits isn't all that great, IMO. Many times you can find M1 ESP on sale at PepBoys for less, and you can get the Mann 821x filter from Amazon for less than $9, probably even less at other websites.

Pete, I was just startled by the notion that PB charges $12.49/qt. for the stuff. By comparison, almost anything looks better. If I buy the '08 E320CDI I'm looking at, it'll be a whole new world of learning for me; I've done Benzes before, of course, but not diesels.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Pete, I was just startled by the notion that PB charges $12.49/qt. for the stuff.

Yeah, so I've heard. Check your local MB dealer. They may be selling it for less actually if you don't want to wait for a sale at PB.

There are other options too, for example, Valvoline Synpower 5w-40 which can be easily obtained from NAPA or some Walmarts. It's a lot less expensive than M1 as well.

NAPA now sells Mobil 1 5w40 ESP Formula M. My local one sells it for $8.49 regular price and I have scored it for a $5.99. I am currently running it in my 2010 VW Golf 2.0 TDI. I just posted a UOA in the forum if you are interested. I was not aware that the Valvoline Synpower is low SAPS/DPF safe either. f it is that would be great! More choices is a good thing!!

Here are some comparative values:

Mobil 1 ESP vs. Motul 8100 X-Clean
5W-40 5W-40

Viscocity @ 40c 81 84.7

Viscocity @ 100c 13.4 14.1

Viscocity Index 167 172

Pour Point -39 -39

Flash Point 236 234

HTHS 3.8 3.64

Sulphated Ash, wt% 0.6 0.8

Last edited:
I am running a 2005 E320CDI which I bought used from a M-B Dealer, it was always dealer serviced. I hit a deer and cracked the oil pan, and the engine was perfectly clean inside: no varnish whatsoever. Mobil1 Formula M went over $12 per quart at the local PepBoys, the dealer sells it for less.
This is what I use, though, and the change interval is what the car says it is. Has worked great as far as I can tell. I have 122000 miles now. Runs great.

Have a '07 "Bluetec" with 80K miles (the 45 state version which, in my world, is way better having to fill with the urea) and use Valvoline Synpower MST 5W40 all conditions. No issues. Car gets about 33 mpg all around, around 37 on highway at steady 75 mph. Change at 7500 miles. Blackstone Analysis at 30 K and 60 K confirms that it is safely able to go to about 9500 miles before additive package is used up. Therefore, I like the interval I am using. BTW, I paid $4.99/qt for 36 quarts of the stuff at NAPA so a good deal all around.

Oh, this is the best car I have EVER owned in my 60 plus years on this planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back