Microgard (Fram) vs New Microgard (Champ) filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNL

We all remember the old Microgard Oil filter available from O’reilly auto parts store was made by Purolator (black with red label); comparable to their Proline and Classic oil filter. Then in mid 2010, we notice it came in a redesign box and inside was a filter made by Honeywell/Fram. Even if it wasn’t a bad filter, it was as good as a buy before.

Lately, a few white box Microgard started to show up (in Texas) and inside was a filter that looks more like a Champ filter; the same guy that makes STP, Royal Purple, and Mobil oil filter. Now, every Microgard oil filters (including the red box) in my area looks identical to an equivalent STP.

There has been some discussion about this but no hard comparisons.

Here’s the lineup; a Fram with old Microgard and a new Microgard with STP. The two Microgard looks the same but the new version is labeled with a sticker, not printed on like the old version.
IMG_0743.jpg

It’s not until you turn them over where they are more comparable. You can see how the old Microgard’s baseplate looks exactly like Fram’s while the new Microgard is identical to the STP.
IMG_0746.jpg

Here’s the Fram next to the old Microgard.
IMG_0749.jpg

Here’s the new Microgard next to a STP.
IMG_0748.jpg

The top of the new Microgard and the STP.
IMG_0745.jpg

Best of all, the new Microgard (for this application) is made in USA. Even the paint is glossier.
IMG_0751.jpg

There has been discussion of the Rank group buying both Honeywell and Champ or something like that. Not sure about the story there but the newer Microgard is a good choose again. But because it's an equivalent to STP, there will be some filter that have the E-core. This thread was just inform others about the new Microgard.

Originally Posted By: ABerns
You're not going to cut them open for us?!?!
wink.gif

[Chanting] Cut 'em! Cut 'em! Cut 'em!

J/K. Thanks for the pics.

wink.gif

I'm planning too but only after I run them on my car. As a poor college student living off the dollar menu, it's hard to cut up some new filters.

The non-ecore Microgards should be fine but as you mentioned many of them here in common applications are showing up as e-cores in white boxes.

The OCOD gets the worst rap on here but I'd run them exclusively for the rest of my life over a single e-core. E-cores are actually a pretty neat design idea, but the actual execution is lacking and they've taken no steps that I know of to fix the media blow out issues. It seems they prefer to simply roll the dice as "most" of them will get by okay.
frown.gif

Thanx for the pics!

When did Champ start using the directional stamping in the center tube? Don't recall seeing that before.

KC, I think E-cores get almost as much of a bad rap as Fram. I think the blow-out concern is higher on the "value leader" filters, maybe like the ones pictured above. The more expensive E-cores or at least the ones made with more media don't seem to leave enough room for the pleats to fold and blow through. I was happy with the ACDelco I opened up and would use them.

Originally Posted By: MNL
wink.gif

I'm planning too but only after I run them on my car. As a poor college student living off the dollar menu, it's hard to cut up some new filters.

I'm just giving you a hard time, no worries. I don't cut open unused filters, either. Thanks for posting these pics, I did not know that Microgard switched manufacturers.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Is not Champion and Fram owned by the same parent now?

Yes, Honeywell spun off their consumer products group (Fram, Prestone, Autolite), split them and sold Fram to Champion.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
The non-ecore Microgards should be fine but as you mentioned many of them here in common applications are showing up as e-cores in white boxes.

The OCOD gets the worst rap on here but I'd run them exclusively for the rest of my life over a single e-core. E-cores are actually a pretty neat design idea, but the actual execution is lacking and they've taken no steps that I know of to fix the media blow out issues. It seems they prefer to simply roll the dice as "most" of them will get by okay.
frown.gif

Yeah, I'd also rather use a basic orange can FRAM filter than use a badly designed ecore.

Ecore filters could be easily fixed by:
a) making the cage not so wide open, and/or
b) making sure the pleats are packed tight enough to prevent any pleats from folding over against the open cage.

A lot of cartilage filters are basically ecore cage designs, and they seem to do OK.

A couple of months ago, O'Reillys had the $20 special that included 5 quarts of oil and a MicroGard filter. You then got a $20 MIR gift card to use at their store. At that time, the MicroGard filters for a few of my applications were just repainted Frams. I used them with no problems. Lately, their house-branded filters that I use for my applications are E-Cores. I've used them on some of my vehicles with no problems, but will probably won't be using them again after my stash is gone and the colder starts begin.
The problem, if there a problem, is that they just buy their filters from the lowest bidder and until you open the box and look at it, you really don't know what you are getting.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Ecore filters could be easily fixed by:
a) making the cage not so wide open, and/or
b) making sure the pleats are packed tight enough to prevent any pleats from folding over against the open cage.

The funny thing about all this is that Champ HAD a good filter before they went to the E-Core. I have an old ST2951 on my desk and it lists the features of Special Synthetic Fiber-enhanced filter media, plated steel center tube, heavy gauge steel baseplate, and the ST2951 filter that I'm looking at has a coiled steel spring instead of a leaf spring.
It also lists the single pass efficiency of 98% where the Fram is 96% and the average is 86%.
SuperTech multi pass is 99%, Fram is 94%, and the average is 83%.
(Yea, I know those numbers can be fudged)
This filter used to be $1.49, then $1.79, and I believe it was slightly over $2 before they went to the E-Core.
As it is built now, I hope some E-Core engineer or pencil-pusher got canned over the E-Core design.

Originally Posted By: cbear
Honeywell spun off their consumer products group (Fram, Prestone, Autolite), split them and sold Fram to Champion.
Close. Honeywell sold FRAM to The Rank Group of New Zealand, who also owns Champion Laboratories.

Good info, thanks for posting. I'll use both the Champ labs STP and the Fram Microgard when they are sold with a sweet deal anytime.

I agree with the other posters here who do not like the E-Core design. It would not be an issue if the horizontal support ribs were closer together, but they are not as the E-Cores we have are driven by the lowest cost denominator. I prefer not to use them.

The OCOD types have their demerits, but even they are a far better choice.

I have an STP E-Core in my stash from a sale, and it will be the last filter I ever use from there. From now on, I will visually look inside of any filter I ever buy again, unless I know the model by reputation.

Not all the Microgard oil filter have the E-core. I know the E-core is not liked much, but for many other application; Microgard and STP still come with a steel center tube. Depending on the filter's construction, the new Microgard (Non-Ecore) is a good filter, especially when it's pretty much free with certain O'Reilly deals.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
I agree with the other posters here who do not like the E-Core design. It would not be an issue if the horizontal support ribs were closer together, but they are not as the E-Cores we have are driven by the lowest cost denominator. I prefer not to use them.

... From now on, I will visually look inside of any filter I ever buy again, unless I know the model by reputation.

Thats what I am doing too. The FIRST thing I do is open the box and look inside the filter for a plastic cage. I care about my rides too much try to to "save" a single dollar by using a plastic caged junk filter. I will not use an ecore, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back