Virgin Mazda 0w-20 w/moly Idemitsu SN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aaron: This is a Sample of Virgin Mazda ow/20. The additive package is pretty standard stuff, but there was a lot of Moly present. That's not a problem by any means, just something interesting to note. The viscosity at 40c is 35.852.

ALUMINUM 0
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 0
COPPER 0
LEAD 0
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 664
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 266
SILICON 6
SODIUM 4
CALCIUM 2318
MAGNESIUM 18
PHOSPHORUS 732
ZINC 842
BARIUM 0

INSOLUBLES 0
WATER 0
FLASHPOINT ºF 430
SUS VIS 210ºF 53.6
cSt @ 100ºF 8.37

It's definitely a good alternative to the TGMO if you can't find it , but that Moly is the other form of moly, hence the higher level. TGMO uses Infineum's tri-nuclear moly.

Originally Posted By: buster
It's definitely a good alternative to the TGMO if you can't find it , but that Moly is the other form of moly, hence the higher level. TGMO uses Infineum's tri-nuclear moly.

Was that ever confirmed about the tri-nuclear moly?

Thanks again for providing this VOA of the new Idemistu oil.

The VI works out to 221 which is as close as makes no difference to what was originally posted for this new Idemitsu made Mazda oil at 225.

Looks like a great oil. Hope we get it soon up hear in Canada.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Thanks again for providing this VOA of the new Idemistu oil.

The VI works out to 221 which is as close as makes no difference to what was originally posted for this new Idemitsu made Mazda oil at 225.

Looks like a great oil. Hope we get it soon up hear in Canada.

No problem. It's the least I could do for the forum as I have learned a wealth of information on here. CATERHAM, based on these results, how does your list of ow-20's change now? Can you give me your new recomendations from top to bottom?

I'd still put the premium priced Sustina 0W-20 (VI 229) at the top of the list.
I'd probabily give the new Mazda 0W-20 the edge by the slimist of margins over the Toyota 0W-20 for it's slightly higher VI and boat load of moly. We don't know for a fact if the Toyota oil is using the tri-nuclear moly or if it's lower concentration is equivalent or not to the high level of the Mazda oil.

Obviously the new Idemitsu GF-5 high moly oil is now preferably to the GF-4 Idemitsu oil.

Last of the ultra high VI 0W-20's would be the Cross Oil made GF-5 SynGard 0W-20 with it's 220 VI and HTHSV of 2.7cP. I would suspect it's add' package would be typical. I'd place it last simply because we know little about it but at 5 bucks or so per quart it's an oil worth investigating.

So that moly number is really high. Am I to assume that a high moly count isn't detrimental in any way. And adding mos2 to an oil with less moly won't hurt?

Originally Posted By: Clevy
So that moly number is really high. Am I to assume that a high moly count isn't detrimental in any way. And adding mos2 to an oil with less moly won't hurt?

People do use some crazy logic on BITOG. One of the mostly universally accepted lines is: "Trust the oil engineers and the multi-billion dollar companies and the millions they spend on testing and developing oil formulations." Most people like this line of thinking.

But they only use it when it benefits their argument.

So, obviously Redline uses crazy amounts of Moly and Zn (Oh No!! Competing anti-wear additives!! Your engine will seize!! LOL!!) and now Mazda Genuine Oil uses high moly too. Having this high of Moly isn't hurting anything. It's actually protecting our engines. God-Forbid.

In a few months, I'm going to post of UOA with bulk Valvoline 5w30 (3.1 quarts) and one whole bottle of LM MOS2 and 2/3 bottle of LG's Bio-Tech AND 1.5 oz. Lucas Break-In additive with 6k miles on it in my Nissan.

Engine testing and approval is how you determine oil quality, not spec sheets or comparing VI or moly levels. That is ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
So that moly number is really high. Am I to assume that a high moly count isn't detrimental in any way.

NOT at the level of this oil, as it would probaly take CRAZY high levels to start doing damage (like 2500+ PPM) as long as it's the organic, soluble, moly type.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
So, obviously Redline uses crazy amounts of Moly and Zn (Oh No!! Competing anti-wear additives!! Your engine will seize!! LOL!!)

As far as I know, soluble moly (or even the newer trimer moly) is FULLY compatible/synergistic with ZDDP.
I always heard that it is antimony which is incompatible with, or 'clashes' with moly.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back