Rebuilt vs Remanufactured vs New Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys normally buy when it comes to replacement parts? Rebuilt, re-manufactured, new (OEM), or new (aftermarket)? Also, what has your experience been with such parts in terms of longevity?

I recently replaced my starter motor and was surprised at the price difference between buying a rebuilt unit vs a new unit. As far as I could tell, the part looked brand new. I got great service too as I bought it from a specialty store where it seemed like the guy specialized in alternators and starters.

Only time will tell how long this part lasts...

Electronics/sensors - new (OEM mostly unless I know I can get away with aftermarket.

Wear items (brakes, rotors, bearings etc) - aftermarket

Parts that will likely fail only once in my ownership (alternators, steering racks come to mind) - rebuilt or re-manufactured

I also trust my mechanic and his opinion. He'll let me know if I can get away with re-built versus new. He has proven time and time again that he is a man of his word.

New starters,calipers,water pumps at auto parts stores are China sourced.Everything from Dorman new is Chinese.Cardone new is Chinese.Under those conditions I think I would rather have a good rebuilt unit or an NOS new dealer part (Mopar,Motorcraft...etc).

I've done the "discount auto parts" (now advance auto parts) alternator thing for years. They fail sometimes. But they do stand behind the products.

However, I've found that sometimes, there are "factory new" not chinese, parts available on ebayy for great prices. I always check this first.

For example, ford 4.6L/5.4L alternators are removed "nearly new" for ambulance conversions.

"Rebuilt" and "remanufactured" have no specific meaning. The work could range from dunking in a parts cleaner to completely replacing all wear parts.

In some cases a part sold as "rebuilt" might actually be new. Rebuilt parts carry a lower import tariff, and warranty replacement usually specifies a rebuilt part. Rather than have two part numbers that would lead to customer questions, new parts are used under the "rebuilt" part number.

Call me old fashioned, but new is new. And OEM is OEM. I'm a once and done guy, and for my time and money, new and OEM are the surest way of it going in and performing as expected.

Thought to ponder...sometime the aftermarket products are improved over OEM simply because they fix what was wrong in the original design....

It's nice you support the local guy. We had a local starter/alternator/generator rebuild guy back when I worked in a garage. He did good work and don't remember ever having problems.

Some alternator/starters are rebuilt shoddily.
Maybe cleaned up, painted, and new brushes thrown on.
Bosch makes good rebuilds - the costs shows this.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
i prefer 250,000 mile used OEM over new Chinese parts

Sorry, I will pass and take the statistical risk with the new Chinese stuff and a warranty than some junker part with 250K and no warranty.

I know the point you are trying to make, but that is a hyper over reactive analogy.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Thought to ponder...sometime the aftermarket products are improved over OEM simply because they fix what was wrong in the original design....

That is a very good point. The early Ford 4.6 modular engines and the all plastic intake is a prime example. The aftermarket cameup with a corrected redesigned intake before Ford put it into place on the production line.

I know there is a few others but that is always the aftermarket, if there is a need, they will find a way and by proxy beat the OEM to making the better redesigned part first.

It's the same thing with PT Cruiser radiator fans. Several of the aftermarket brands claim to have fixed the flawed OEM design. I'm not sure if they really did or not.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Some alternator/starters are rebuilt shoddily.
Maybe cleaned up, painted, and new brushes thrown on.
Bosch makes good rebuilds - the costs shows this.

Usually big name companies care about quality/reputation, therefore their rebuilt parts are high quality.

When dealing with AC compressors, there used to be rebuilt compressors that didn't last, or OEM units which cost a small fortune. Good thing the aftermarket came up with low cost new compressors from China. The price is right for the car it gets installed in.

New CV axles are now affordable and are also an improvement over rebuilt units.

Numerous aftermarket discount rebuilds have a cheap ugly flat black paint that is not professionally applied. That always disturbs me. If they can't do something simple like paint a part correctly, how can they do more complex tasks correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back