Whats a good fire arm for home protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BarryinIN

I can tell you right now what the gun shop will suggest:
"Get the little lady a small revolver"...and the shop's regular crowd will nod in agreement. They will say it's because revolvers are simple to operate. The implication is that other guns, especially semi auto pistols, are too complicated for women. Hmmm. I guess the guy saying that, and those agreeing, rose above the rocket science of a semi auto.
I haven't found a gun yet that was anywhere as difficult to use than a smart phone, computer, or the car my wife drives every day.
The statement of them being simpler is debatable too, in my opinion. A Glock, Smith & Wesson M&P, and Springfield Armory XD and several others are loaded and ready in fewer steps.

It's not that they are too complicated to understand, but
some women have trouble operating the slide to put a round in the chamber or when clearing a jam. Not as much forearm strength/grip strength and long finger nails can make it more difficult to rack the slide.

Last edited:
That is a good point. Some women do have trouble working the slide. Older people too.
But what the shop people usually say is an auto is way too mechanical for girlies. I've seen and heard it a hundred times. They stand right there and talk about how simple a revolver is "All she'll have to do is pull the trigger, and won't have to fiddle with switches and levers".
I'm a chauvinist pig, and I get annoyed hearing this.

If the slide is too much to handle, load it ahead of time and put it in a locking storage box. If the box is too bulky, hang a padlock through the trigger guard behind the trigger.
I don't know why, but a lot of people are hesitant to leave an auto loaded but won't think twice about leaving a revolver loaded. The same curvy thing makes either one go bang.

Speaking of loading guns, a lot of people (male and female) fumble around with the cylinder latch on a revolver. I myself forget that though, but when I think back on it, I bet it happens just as much as struggling with an auto slide. The latch usually gets overcome quicker though.

I just remembered an odd point against autos. Many women are distracted by the slide reciprocating. Most men never notice it. Women often do. I don't know why, but they do. I swear around half the women I've been around when shooting an auto for the first time comment on it.

But in my opinion, it's all moot. Nobody would choose a handgun over a long gun when concealment/convenience is not a factor, and it won't be in a house gun. Use the most efficient tool.

Are there any studies on Hand gun v Shotgun when used in the home for defense?

In a panic situation which has proved more accurate, which has proved more effective either as a 'Take down' or as a deterrent.

Well, guys, I thank everyone for their suggestions and input, its a lot to read over and take in
grin.gif
I went over a little bit of it with my wife and when we get some free time this weekend, we're going to sit down and read over all of this together. She might actually be leaning towards a tazer gun at this point, but she is thinking she may still want something to go target shooting with, so we will see. I'm hoping we might both get into shooting and have a hobby we can share together and with our son as well. As it stands, shes into scrap booking and anything creative, I'm not. I'm into cars, trucks, tractors, and anything mechanical, and shes not. This might be something we can come together on
grin.gif

One negative with the Taser you might want to keep in mind is that (I think) they are single shot. You get one chance. Miss, and you're in trouble. Have more than one attacker, and you're in trouble. I would imagine they aren't the best solution once the attacker has made physical contact, either.

Even with a shotgun you STILL HAVE TO AIM!!!! Check out the Box O'Truth. The guy demonstrated with drywall that a buck shot load will only get to about a 3 inch spread at 7 yards, IIRC. Even if I'm off on the distance a bit, it still shows that you have to aim a shotgun.

Originally Posted By: 2cool
Even with a shotgun you STILL HAVE TO AIM!!!! Check out the Box O'Truth. The guy demonstrated with drywall that a buck shot load will only get to about a 3 inch spread at 7 yards, IIRC. Even if I'm off on the distance a bit, it still shows that you have to aim a shotgun.

This will handle your spread problem: SUPER-SHORTY

Last edited:
In my most recent shotgun class in April, we shot buckshot at paper to show the pattern size. We would shoot a round, then move back a few yatds and do it again. This is standard at most shotgun classes to show you what your effective range is. In some cases, people are surprised at how tight the patterns are.
We were all surprised this time, because among the expensive Vang Comp-tuned barrels, the tightest patterning was a 70-year-old shotgun with a shortened, open choke, barrel. It was putting all it's pellets through a single hole about an inch in diameter out to 17 yards (the farthest back we went).

So yes, shotguns get aimed.

Any quality, reliable, high capacity, semi auto handgun will do. With a preference towards the full sized calibers.

LCP's are not the most functionally reliable. As feeding is "iffy" with many of them. They are great for CC, but not ideal for home defense.

My bottom line. Have a pistol handy, and a semi auto, high capacity rifle available. They both have a place.

Pistols are pistols and rifles are rifles.

Last edited:
I've written on this many times. I was attacked by my drunk, idiot, neighbors. 9 of them. While it ended without anyone getting hurt, my 13 round pistol, (with a second magazine) was essential in such a situation.

Don't listen to those who claim to know how these situations unfold. Or that you will need only 5 or 6 rounds.

For example, you have 3 hamburglers and 5 rounds. You should know that on average, only 1 out of 3 shots will hit. Bottom line, you've injured one and annoyed the others. You are in trouble. Sorry, but that's the way it is, and those who say otherwise are wrong. There is no logical reason to limit your capacity.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I've written on this many times. I was attacked by my drunk, idiot, neighbors. 9 of them. While it ended without anyone getting hurt, my 13 round pistol, (with a second magazine) was essential in such a situation.

Don't listen to those who claim to know how these situations unfold. Or that you will need only 5 or 6 rounds.

For example, you have 3 hamburglers and 5 rounds. You should know that on average, only 1 out of 3 shots will hit. Bottom line, you've injured one and annoyed the others. You are in trouble. Sorry, but that's the way it is, and those who say otherwise are wrong. There is no logical reason to limit your capacity.

There is also no logical reason to limit your round effectiveness by using ball rounds. Use JHPs so that the rounds that do connect have maximum effectiveness for the caliber that you select.

And do your very best to avoid the fight in the first place. Home defense is just that: the fight came to you.

I have managed to extricate myself from a few situations that could have escalated, precisely because I was armed, and I wished to avoid conflict if at all possible.

Personally? If someone breaks into the house, I will not go downstairs to meet them. I will ensure that they know I am armed and home, while I remain upstairs, armed and with 911 called on the phone.

That way, the clear intent of the intruder is known - if they want the valuables, there are plenty downstairs. If they want to do harm to those in the house, they come near stairs. At that point, the threat triangle is unamiguously met, amd the application of lethal force begins.

I recommend that you pick up a copy of "In the Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob...understand the law, when to shoot, when not to shoot, before you purchase your firearm.

Once you do purchase it, practice, practice, practice. It takes 2 - 3,000 repetitions before a skill becomes muscle memory. You would be surprised how many LE and military pull the trigger on a drawn weapons and fail to disengage the safety...or fire and can't hit the target when they do well at the range...why? Well...not enough practice, stress degrades performance, etc. Only practice can overcome that performance degradation...

Last edited:
It's interesting how people differ on self defense and the use of a firearm. Intelligent people know, or figure out, what's right for them. Personally, I never, ever, ever want to shoot, or hurt anybody.

I had a heck of an emotional time dealing with my situation and the fact that I almost took my neighbors life. I felt guilty, I felt like I had done something wrong. Yet, no shots were fired and nobody was hurt. It was only afterwards that I was able to make sense of the situation. And, to fully come to personal conclusions.

I'll post some of them here for your review.

1) Pulling a gun on someone DOES NOT mean you must shoot them. Or, put another way, some think that if you pull your gun, you must shoot. I disagree. In my case, the situation changed the instant the gun was involved. I kept a cool head and understood the threat was over.

2) Theories about how situations unfold range from the bizarre, to the improbable, and everywhere in-between. The fact is, you can't predict what will happen. You can be prepared with a reliable, capable, full capacity firearm.

3) Any gun can kill, but... The holy grail of "one shot stops" only exists in the movies. A local guy was shot over 10 times with a 9mm and lived without serious injury. Yes, it helped that he was a big dude, wearing leather. But, thank goodness the thugs shooting him had poor shot placement.

4) I've discovered I'm not afraid, even though I'm very confrontation averse. I had a heck of a time with local thugs. I found myself taking the initiative and hunting them down. Once caught, they were always surprised I had the upper hand, and they backed down.

5) Quality training is a must. As is experience.

6) I like the 45ACP. I like the 308. Common, reliable, understood.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
410 pump shotgun. Forget a handgun. Burglars hate three sounds when they break into a house, 1) dog barking 2) pump noise of a shotgun 3) 2nd dog barking

Worked for me so far.

1. 90lb German Shepherd (female)
2. 12g Mossberg 590A1 9 round (8+1)
3. 100+lb German Shepherd (male)

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Cujet

There is also no logical reason to limit your round effectiveness by using ball rounds. Use JHPs so that the rounds that do connect have maximum effectiveness for the caliber that you select.

And do your very best to avoid the fight in the first place. Home defense is just that: the fight came to you.

I have managed to extricate myself from a few situations that could have escalated, precisely because I was armed, and I wished to avoid conflict if at all possible.

Personally? If someone breaks into the house, I will not go downstairs to meet them. I will ensure that they know I am armed and home, while I remain upstairs, armed and with 911 called on the phone.

That way, the clear intent of the intruder is known - if they want the valuables, there are plenty downstairs. If they want to do harm to those in the house, they come near stairs. At that point, the threat triangle is unamiguously met, amd the application of lethal force begins.

I recommend that you pick up a copy of "In the Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob...understand the law, when to shoot, when not to shoot, before you purchase your firearm.

Once you do purchase it, practice, practice, practice. It takes 2 - 3,000 repetitions before a skill becomes muscle memory. You would be surprised how many LE and military pull the trigger on a drawn weapons and fail to disengage the safety...or fire and can't hit the target when they do well at the range...why? Well...not enough practice, stress degrades performance, etc. Only practice can overcome that performance degradation...

I couldn't agree more. I think any firearm that the person can use is a good home defense weapon. However I would recommend staying with proven rounds and designs. IE 9mm, .45ACP, 12 guage, etc. Also their is no reason to use hard ball in this day and age.

As for tactics the best fight is one avoided. Install a strong door on your bedroom and kids rooms. Instruct them to lock down if an intruder enters, and sit tight while informing them you have called the cops and will not hesitate to kill them if they try to come threw any one of those doors.

Also remember when the cops do show up, they are going to be looking for someone with a gun. They don't know what you look like...

As for training, you have to shoot, take good tactical training courses, etc. Nothing more useless than a new firearm that sits in a night stand draw for 20 years collecting dust.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2cool

Correct, and just for giggles try shooting a 12 gauge in an enclosed dark room...very confusing.

I want to say off the top of my head the spread on 12 gauge bird shot at say 15ft is like this:

Last edited:
BEST gun is the one you have in your hand(S) at the time. one could be in the upstairs bathroom or in the basement when the scum bags arrive. My wife loves to shoot our ruger old army converted to 45 colt/255 home cast #2 alloy slugs. i like my ruger old model 3 screw superblackhawk 44mag, shooting 44specials. 240grainers verrrrry accurate. Of course, up here in canada EH, we have to keep our revolvers and pistols in gun safes with trigger locks on them. i guess some idiot in OTTAWA(our WASHINGTON) thinks our 4 pump shotguns, placed all around our house ,are not as lethal as our hand guns!!!anyway,back to the OUTBOARD OIL FORUM. TOFINO TOM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back