took the plunge on 5w for jeep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

for years I had used only Vavoline, still do. But went to local shop, HAD to do oil change now, cause wont get time before winter. Were out of my regular pick So I bought a 5lt contianer of Castrol 5w30w amd purolator L14760 filter for my 2.5 lt 4 cyl wrangler. it went as expected. Less noise, as jeeps suffer from valve clatter at start up and oil pressure takes a couple more seconds to register,thinner oil.

did alot of reading here and other sources as to 5w, I sure had some old school ideas, guess it is as good as 10w............:)

will keep eye on it and report back in a while.

Originally Posted By: 97TJ
Hi all

for years I had used only Vavoline, still do. But went to local shop, HAD to do oil change now, cause wont get time before winter. Were out of my regular pick So I bought a 5lt contianer of Castrol 5w30w amd purolator L14760 filter for my 2.5 lt 4 cyl wrangler. it went as expected. Less noise, as jeeps suffer from valve clatter at start up and oil pressure takes a couple more seconds to register,thinner oil.

did alot of reading here and other sources as to 5w, I sure had some old school ideas, guess it is as good as 10w............:)

will keep eye on it and report back in a while.

In my own experience a 5W is better for most applications. Was the jeep rated for a 10W-30?

Regards, JC.

My oil pressure on any of my Jeeps is instant. I've never been impressed with valvetrain oiling though. I run high volume pumps in most of my rigs.

I've been running 5w30 in my trail rig (see signature) for a while now. I run a HV pump and have no issues at all. I ran it all summer and even throughout my last trip to Moab.

Always been happy with 5w30 in my WJ when I choose to run it, and a good choice for the coming cold.

I have seen a few good UOA's on 5w30 too, depends on the Jeep and particular oil I think.

well i have been running valvoline 10w30w and purolator l14670 filter like clock work on this jeep and the three before all wranglers, three 4cyl and one 6 cyl, three of them stick and this current one auto(getting older, shifting is harder in urban traffic) i had a 87 yj, 89 yj, 92yj, and 98 tj. Looking for jk but lotso life left in current tj. I just did some reading and figured 5w wasnt as bad as I thought. I wont go 0w30w on this jeep, not 5w20w either. I might just 5w40w in the summer. I do notice as it is colder the oil pressure on 5w30w is low, then as it warms up gets higher versus 10w30w, like a 5 second delay on gauge.

ps i normaly run vavoline in all my vehicles, BUT i am not adverse to use other brands, just my preference.

Last edited:
You did a good thing.
Whether or not you feel or hear any benefits [due to your threshold of realization], they are still there on paper.

Well its been a little time now, it starts up slightly faster, the ticking a cold start less,Jeeps suffer from this. runs smoother, seat of pants feel.

I am hoping thsi will help conserve a little fuel and wear and tear, we will see when I send in for oil analaisys.

Originally Posted By: dgee
10W30 for the summer, 5W30 for the winter
that 2.5 will last you a long time.

^ Yup. That should work well for you. The 2.5 lasts and lasts.

Oh yeah, and Thank You for your Service!

Last edited:
Yes i normaly run valvoline and purolator filter( over 30 years) that day the autoparts was out of my normal valvoline white bottle 10w30w, i had heard go stuff about german castrol so I took the plunge plus all that stuff about 5w oil, probably goto valvoline semi 5w30w next change.....................:)

PS the wrangler is fine, so far..................:)_

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The 10w30 and 5w40's show less wear numbers than the 5w30's do in the UOA section.

1) UOA's are useless in determining what lubricant provides for less wear, particularly most of the ones posted on this site (ones which use PQ analysis may provide a little more insight).

2) You're mixing a lot of variables in there to reach a faulty conclusion.

Nowadays, we are almost always better with a 5-X than a 10-X.
Esp in winter.
I consider 10-X obsolete.
Sure, it has it's uses in some older engines when warm out.
But that 5-X is better for the vast majority of situations.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Nowadays, we are almost always better with a 5-X than a 10-X.
Esp in winter.
I consider 10-X obsolete.
Sure, it has it's uses in some older engines when warm out.
But that 5-X is better for the vast majority of situations.

The spec'ed oil of S2000 is 10W30 for warmer climate and 5W40 for colder climate. This 10W30 was spec'ed since 2000 and didn't change until Honda discontinue the S2000 in 2008-2009.

I believe conventional or syn 5W30 is better than 10W30, but since the car can be driven with higher engine speed than most cars, up to 8k RPM, it is hard to try 5W30 without oil temp/pressure gauges (which my S2000 doesn't have).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back