Goodyear Eagle GA tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are these tires discontinued? If so when, because im seeing a lot of them in new condition. I think they were oem on my 1999 Chevy Lumina that im putting back together again. Any thoughts on how good or bad they were?

They have to be better than Goodyear Eagle RS-As. Worst tires I've ever owned.

I'm seeing a lot more sizes of the Goodyear Tripletred. It may have replaced a few Goodyear tires. But man they are pricey.

Tire technology improves rapidly, newer tires are almost always better in term of ride+performance+tread life .. than older. It may be okay 13-14 years ago, but it can not compete with tires of recent years.

I seem to remember that Sears was starting to carry them when I was leaving. They were only in a couple sizes and were being used as OEM on some cars. Haven't seen them in years though.

Originally Posted By: smoky66
Are these tires discontinued? If so when, because im seeing a lot of them in new condition. I think they were oem on my 1999 Chevy Lumina that im putting back together again. Any thoughts on how good or bad they were?

We got 60,000+ miles from two sets on a 1995 Olds Cutlass.

For the price they were an underrated tire in my opinion. They looked good too, none of the crazy serrations and odd lettering found on tires these days.

terrible tires. Scary in any standing water.
had 2 sets on a 95 grand am. The regatta 2's and aquatreads afterwards while poor compared to today's tires... were lightyears ahead of the GA's

I don't agree with the above. The Eagle GA was a fine tire. In fact, it corners better "dry" than today's standard issue Michelin's. In it's larger sizes, the GA was a nice riding performance tire. That's a very difficult achievement.

It's one of my all time favorite tires.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I don't agree with the above. The Eagle GA was a fine tire. In fact, it corners better "dry" than today's standard issue Michelin's. In it's larger sizes, the GA was a nice riding performance tire. That's a very difficult achievement.

I stand by my comments. Try running one of them in an ohio winter. Nothing performance about a 4cyl grand am.

Pushing it to get it unstuck in 2" of snow was fun too.
granted they were half worn by then.

They also hydroplaned very easily. during the late 90's I had a 60mile drive to carrollton ohio.. the roads were typical asphalt with sags from heavy truck traffic that would get an 1/2 inch or so of water in them was very scary to do anything close to the speed limit.

They were pleasant in the dry and twisty roads. Maybe it was the application? what car did you run them on?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: Cujet

I stand by my comments. Try running one of them in an ohio winter. Nothing performance about a 4cyl grand am.

Pushing it to get it unstuck in 2" of snow was fun too.
granted they were half worn by then.

They also hydroplaned very easily. during the late 90's I had a 60mile drive to carrollton ohio.. the roads were typical asphalt with sags from heavy truck traffic that would get an 1/2 inch or so of water in them was very scary to do anything close to the speed limit.

We drove them through some of the biggest winters in N.J, up hills, deep snow, ice, never had a issue. Certain vehicles are more stable than others regardless of the tire.

As for wet performance standing water can test the best tire, especially at 50% tread or less. My advice; slow it down in the rain.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Note: they were OEM on, among other cars, the Lexus LS400.

True, they were OEM tire on my 1994 LS400, but they were nothing to be proud of. All the aftermarket tires after that were better in every way but ride. Even the low cost Yokohama AVID Touring with speed rate S was better on wet and dry surface.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
They have to be better than Goodyear Eagle RS-As. Worst tires I've ever owned.

I'm seeing a lot more sizes of the Goodyear Tripletred. It may have replaced a few Goodyear tires. But man they are pricey.

Absolutely agreed on Rs-A's. I am normally careful about criticizing OEM tires across platforms but I have had RS-A's on a Neon R/T and on my Chrysler as OEM and they were simply poor at anything except wear.

I don't see how any dated design can compare to the wonderful choices we have today, seems tires have improved a LOT, just like oils.

Do I have to give my lecture about OE tires again?

That even though the name on the sidewall is the same, the spec for the different vehicles can result in totally different performance.

In other words, you can't compare an OE tire on a Lexus with one on a Grand Am. You can't even compare tires on a Grand Am to those on a Lumina.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back