Honda Fit CVT gearoil level question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a 2007 Honda Fit (Jazz) with Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT). The car has 25000km now and I just changed the gearoil with fresh fluid. The dipstick has cold and hot marks to check the level. Honda recommends to check the gearoil level within 60-90 sec after engine is shut down and the oil should be between the min and max HOT marks on the dipstick. When I do that the oil is exactly at the max mark on the HOT side, so it seems appropriate. However if I check the level with a cold engine, the level is even higher than the max HOT position!!! I've repeated the check several times and always get the same results: cold reading is way above the max but hot reading is perfect. Is there something wrong here??? I would expect the cold reading to be within the min max marks on the cold side.....

Do you think I should drain some oil from the tranny?

Thanks

Are you checking it hot or cold though?A 30 minute drive would bring it to normal hot running.If there's little thermal expansion on that oil ,one must take into account the drainback effect of a higher cold reading.If this is on level ground and checking it as perscribed.

Last edited:
I check it hot as recommended by Honda. The hot level seems correct but when I attempt to check it cold the level is higher than the max HOT mark...

Does the oil seem foamy or frothy? Any abnormalities?

Ive had issues getting good, consistent readings on most any AT Ive ever worked with.

If it is reading hot, I think youre OK.

Yes there are both cold and hot marks on the dipstick. There are 3 marks with the cold max mark corresponding to the hot min mark. When checking the level with a hot transmission, the oil reaches exactly the hot max mark. When cold, the level even exceeds the hot max mark, so it is way off the cold area as if the tranny was badly overfilled.

I poured in something like 3.2-3.5 liters and Honda mentions the oil change should require approximately this amount of oil. I just cannot explain why the cold level appears higher than the hot level. It's weird! No abnormalities though, no foaming etc just a weird cold reading but this makes me nervous.

Last edited:
No, hot reading means checking 60-90 seconds after switching off the engine, as the manual says. Cold reading means (for me) after a night in the garage. The hot reading is fine but not the cold one....

Cold should be checked same way as hot, but with a cold engine/transmission.

After sitting overnight, start it up for a minute, drive up and down your driveway once to get the fluid everywhere, shut it down, wait 60 seconds and check the COLD CVTF level.

I checked with a cold engine just after switching it off but the cold level is still too high. I got the car checked by a Honda dealer and the mech says the hot level is ok...so I guess I'm safe

Originally Posted By: kilou
I checked with a cold engine just after switching it off but the cold level is still too high. I got the car checked by a Honda dealer and the mech says the hot level is ok...so I guess I'm safe

Hi kilou,
I'm happy in finding your thread arriving to this rich forum through the "Google search" path.
I was looking just for opinions/advise on the same subiect.
I have a Honda Insight , bought new one year ago, MY 2010, 20000 km now.
So, I have changed the CVT F, a very easy operation, except removing the discharge plug unbelievably tight and hard to unscrew. Then I have filled with 3,5 lt of Honda CVT-F, the same amount carefully measured after discharge.
I have carried out a four step level measurement:
1st: cold engine at rest from 24 hours: thr level is 2-3 mm above the high "HOT" mark.
2nd: well heated engine after 100 km run, shut down, level measured after the prescribed 60" (up to 90"): the level is just above the middle between the HIGH and the LOW HOT mark.
3rd: as per step 2 above , but with the engine running idle at 800 rpm, the level is just near the LOW HOT level mark.
4th: engine running idle at 800 rpm after only 10 minutes operation (from cold at rest), without any cooling fan switch on or off, the level is just 1 mm above the LOW (the only one !) COLD level mark.
I have had a lot of concern on this strange and extended level excursion, and I was looking for some help.
All what I can say is that the "COLD" level mark is a little misleading and the actual right safe operating level is in the mind of the Honda Engineers and difficult to individuate.
On the other hand, it is important to not have too high level
for avoiding overheating in heavy load running i.e. summer highway or mountain climbing.
Your conclusion was releasing, we hope well for our CVT !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back