Oil filter problem! Napa ProSelect 27712 Subaru..

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

I discovered a hole through the media of the Napa ProSelect 27712 that was in use on my 2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i for about 7300 miles / 5 months (~10000-17300mi). The oil used was Napa Synthetic 5w30. This was the first time I tried the Napa Pro Select 27712 engine oil filter on this vehicle.

This is pretty scary. I've opened up dozens of used oil filters for engines/equipment I've done oil changes on, and this is the first media failure I've found.

I'll be sticking with the blue OEM Subaru filters from now on!

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k65/mtpockets06/114_zps575bbf85.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k65/mtpockets06/117_zpsaa4c7226.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k65/mtpockets06/113_zpse26dfa13.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k65/mtpockets06/116_zpsb4c119a0.jpg

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Are these the Wix ones?

Yes. It's labeled as a US made Wix/Affinia filter. Supposedly they have the same high bypass rating as Subaru OEM filters.

Joel

Surely that damage must have been caused after removal from the car, the medi is white nd not discoloured. Indicating that it was never in contact with oil.

Unless the photo graphs are a little misleading?

Never buy a non OEM oil filter and if you think you have a problem with an oil filter, for example a very bad UOA with a high insolubles figure, DO NOT CUT IT OPEN AND TAKE PICTURES!
In legal terms you have destroyed the evidence. The best way to prove the filter was faulty is to video it before, during and after it is opened with no breaks and a few independent witnesses. That way you can prove there was a hole and that you did not make it yourself trying to get a free engine from the filter company or car dealer.
Once you have your nice video clip and some signed witness forms prepared in front of your legal rep, then try for the new engine. If you just send in some pictures of the filter full of holes and a cutting from the newspaper of your smoking wreck alongside the road, your chances of winning the case are in effect zero.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I discovered a hole through the media of the Napa ProSelect 27712 that was in use on my 2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i for about 7300 miles / 5 months (~10000-17300mi). The oil used was Napa Synthetic 5w30. This was the first time I tried the Napa Pro Select 27712 engine oil filter on this vehicle.

This is pretty scary. I've opened up dozens of used oil filters for engines/equipment I've done oil changes on, and this is the first media failure I've found.

I'll be sticking with the blue OEM Subaru filters from now on!

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k65/mtpockets06/114_zps575bbf85.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k65/mtpockets06/117_zpsaa4c7226.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k65/mtpockets06/113_zpse26dfa13.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k65/mtpockets06/116_zpsb4c119a0.jpg

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigjl
Surely that damage must have been caused after removal from the car, the medi is white nd not discoloured. Indicating that it was never in contact with oil.

Unless the photo graphs are a little misleading?

What you see through the hole in the media is the metal inner flange of the end cap, and/or metal center tube. My filter cutter zips the can open cleaner than a can opener.

It's a very well constructed filter aside from the blow-hole in the media.

Originally Posted By: skyship
Never buy a non OEM oil filter and if you think you have a problem with an oil filter, for example a very bad UOA with a high insolubles figure, DO NOT CUT IT OPEN AND TAKE PICTURES!
In legal terms you have destroyed the evidence.

I'm not trying to battle anybody here. All is well with the vehicle and I'm sure it will remain as such. I never suspected a thing was wrong.

Joel

I have had too many troubles with Wix filters, never construction failures but flow issues. I think the blue Subie filters are good filters. Just use those from now on and forget it.

I thought the subaru OCI max interval was 5K max on the EJ253? I wouldnt stretch OCi on and average build group III oil(not synthetic). With our fuel contamination in NH I haven't had an aftermarket filter go more than 3K miles without partial clogging.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I have had too many troubles with Wix filters, never construction failures but flow issues. I think the blue Subie filters are good filters. Just use those from now on and forget it.
Blue subie's are Fram but with P ring gasket. NOt terrible but too small. The Honda spec Wix 57356 with Si adbv or the ACDELCO PF2057 would not be a bad choice; They best that Ive found after reaserching my oiling issues in the past decade. The 51356 didnt have proper flow properties for efficient operation. Too Much delta P allowance on the 513. The spec 51365 is too small. Normally aspirated EJ253 motor does not need the high subaru spec (23psi) bypass rating, only the turbo.

Last edited:
JTK: I wouldn't take the unhappy circumstance of one failed filter as evidence that all Wix made filters are bad and going with OEM Subie is no guarantee of getting anything better. The Proselect line is a "price point" filter. The Napa Gold is the better line. I think you may find a little info on the OEM Subie filters here, IIRC they were nothing better than what you have generally speaking, but I think you can do better in the aftermarket.

skyship: Your paranoia is showing ( : < )! Filter failure! Bring in the 60 Minutes crew to document it! JTK had no indication of a problem until he cut the filter open. Many OEM filters are no better than the low shelf aftermarkets. It's also a lot harder to get information on an OEM line. With the major aftermarkets, you can get a lot of useful performance and longevity details.

Wix/napa gold branded filters are not the same as proselect branded ones, though they are both made by Wix.

Generally I think the proselects have less media. Maybe even a different grade of media.

Either way, no one likes to find a hole/tear in their filter.

Thanks for the pics

Last edited:
ARCO, the OCI recommended in the manual for my 2012 Legacy EJ253 PZEV is 7500mi with conventional 5w30.

I've cut open the blue Honeywells too. The cylinder of media is much taller on them. They usually look all twisted and uneven, but intact. The 27712 is shorter with a much shorter media 'can'.

A few weeks ago I bought a case of 12 blue Subaru filters on fleabay for ~$40. They say "Made in USA" on them, but no mention of Honeywell like most I've seen.

Jim, I hear you on Wix. I've used various Wix products for years w/out issue. I'm just not sure I'd pay extra for one in the future.

Here's pics of the factory filter back when I did the first OCI: OEM filter

Joel

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I thought the subaru OCI max interval was 5K max on the EJ253? I wouldnt stretch OCi on and average build group III oil(not synthetic). With our fuel contamination in NH I haven't had an aftermarket filter go more than 3K miles without partial clogging.

"fuel contamination in NH"? What will you come up with next!?! LMAO!!

Dang ... that ProSelect 27712 is small. What's the media surface area on that thing? Subarus all seem to have very high volume oil pumps, and it could be that filter is running a pretty high delta-P.

What's the bypass valve setting on that filter?

The base end bypass valve eats up lots of media real estate on these tiny filters. You probably would be better off with the OEM Subaru filter.

Originally Posted By: kender
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

"fuel contamination in NH"? What will you come up with next!?! LMAO!!
Oh, sorry. All fuel is perfect and uncontaminated - I forgot.

Originally Posted By: skyship
In legal terms you have destroyed the evidence. The best way to prove the filter was faulty is to video it before, during and after it is opened with no breaks and a few independent witnesses.

Did the OP think he had a problem before he cut it or was it done just for curiosity?

I'd say cut open for curiosity sake. That media failure would never really cause an engine problem that was noticeable.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I'd say cut open for curiosity sake. That media failure would never really cause an engine problem that was noticeable.

Correct. I cut open every filter I remove, provided it fits in my cutter. It's nice to see what you've got and it allows you to get much more used oil out of them.

Regardless of the separation in the media, you can still see some black carbon schmutz that collected in the can, so the filter still filtered to a degree.

Makes you wonder if this problem would repeat, or if this was just a fluke thing with this filter in this application. Oh well.. I've got enough blue Subaru filters to last me the next ~83K miles.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back