My 3 choices for trans fluid.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about ready to do another trans service on the wife's 04 Cavalier (4 sp auto). It specs dex/merc, which is what I used last time (Valvoline). Car is nearing 80k, and still shifts quite well. So my debated choices:

Dex/Merc- Used it last time, and is still doing to job quite well.

Dex VI- This is a toughie, since the car has 80k on it. Want to go full syn (valvoline), but a simple blend might be better...

Dex/merc maxlife- heard good things about it, and it might have a good benefit for an old trans-the question is more if I really need it...since the trans is in good shape...

The car in question does mostly stop and go traffic, and mostly does school/local runs. Your thoughts?

I've had a great experience with Maxlife in a few different applications. A GM trans in my 3-series, Subaru 4-speed auto and a Mercury Villager auto. All spec Dex 3 have had improved shifts and the fluid seems to hold up well. It also is highly regarded on this forum. I believe it is also synthetic.

Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC would be my vote. I've never read someone who didn't like it. I just recently did a 3x drain/fill on our Saturn. Process used 14 quarts and my end cost was only $65. I'm not sure how much fluid you need, but the MaxLife can't cost that much more, can it?

Originally Posted By: cutlassvillager
I've had a great experience with Maxlife in a few different applications. A GM trans in my 3-series, Subaru 4-speed auto and a Mercury Villager auto. All spec Dex 3 have had improved shifts and the fluid seems to hold up well. It also is highly regarded on this forum. I believe it is also synthetic.

^ I can live with this too.

If your vehicle is specked for Dex III/Merc. You have lots of options. Valvoline Red Jug Synthetic Blend, Castrol Dex/Merc trans Max or even the Dex/merc from AAP, AZ, WM or O'R would meet your needs.

If you want to run a full synthetic you can also use Mobil 1, ATF. M1 ATF, is recommended for use where Dex/merc are called to be used.

I did a complete transmission exchange last year with M1 and LubeGuard Red. Transmission runs quiet and smooth. I plan on doing only drain and fill of the pan every 50K.

I also used M1 for my fill on the Power Steering Fluid, after the old fluid was flushed out.

Maxlife Dex/Merc is what i use on basically anything that calls for DexIII. Supertech Mercon V is another option if you're looking for a DexIII equivalent. M1 ATF is a fully synthetic Dex/Merc as well. The ST Mercon V and M1 ATF are thicker than the Maxlife Dex/Merc. Maxlife D/M covers DexVI, which specs a lighter oil.

Originally Posted By: bourne
+1 for Maxlife. $15.99 at Autozone for a gallon.

+2 on the Maxlife. I've used Mobil 1 ATF before and Maxlife is half the cost and just as effective in the tranny.

Regards, JC.

I actually love Castrol Import Multi-vehicle in many vehicles that spec DexIII. It's probably pretty similar to Maxlife actually, considering how many of the same specs they cover.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Lots of votes for maxlife here...wondering-is it a syn blend too?

Its full synthetic. Now if that means U.S. "synthetic" or European "synthetic", I do not know. I do know that both my transmissions are shifting better with this fluid as compared to OE.

Dex/Merc- Used it last time, and is still doing to job quite well.

If it works well for you, why change it? I'd say go back to the Valvoline Blue Bottle Dex/Merc. You can get a gallon at O'Reilly's for $16.

That is a really interesting question. Our auto transmission specifies a Mazda M-V (Type M5) ATF, which, according to Mazda TSB 05-005/08, is not the same as Mercon V (M-V Type M5 has greater viscosity than Mercon V at low temperatures and a greater judder specification than Mercon V). When we flushed and changed the ATF a few years back, we used MaxLife, which at that time was specified as a Mazda M-V (Type M5) substitute, and said so right on the back label. Came time to change the ATF again this fall, I found that Ashland had removed the Mazda M-V (Type M5) specification from the back label. Further investigation showed that the word "synthetic," which formerly appeared on the front label, now is mising, and that Valvoline's official description of the ATF is:

Quote:
"MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF contains a blend of base oils and a unique additive package to help extend the life of transmissions with over 75,000 miles."

Apparently, in 2008, Ashland/Valvoline changed the formulation of MaxLife to reduce the fluid's viscosity. Valvoline subsequently sent out "to whom it may concern" a letter dated April 2009 over the signature of an executive named Thom Smith that basically says, "ignore the man behind the curtain," but is that letter something that you can take to the bank? The .pdf Valvoline Product Information Sheet downloadable from the Valvoline website dated February 2012 also does not claim that MaxLife is M-V Type M5 compatible, so I find it hard to ignore the man behind the curtain (Wizard of Oz allusion).

As with the deletion of the listing for M-V Type M5 on the back label, so too I wonder whether the deletion of "synthetic" from the front label is a reliable indicator of something going on there.

FWIW, this time around, 2012, we put in Red Line D4 (which is M-V Type M5 compatible) and the transmission shifts more positively and smoothly than it did with the MaxLife.

GC4lunch.....that is the reason I passed on using the Valvoline High Mileage ATF, last year, when exchanging ATF in my T4R.

I could never find the words "Synthetic" or "Synthetic Blend" on the label of any of the Jugs that I examined at Auto Parts stores, or even on- line at Amazon or WM. Therefore, I reasoned that it was a change in formulation or they took the synthetic out as cost savings.

I guess I was lucky......Back over a year ago.....transmission and gear oil was eligible for discounts at AAP. So I loaded up not only on the discount codes for fluids but also the "computer glitches" that AAP would sometime run for customer loyalty.

AAP has me as a life long customer.....

Originally Posted By: GC4lunch

That is a really interesting question. Our auto transmission specifies a Mazda M-V (Type M5) ATF, which, according to Mazda TSB 05-005/08, is not the same as Mercon V (M-V Type M5 has greater viscosity than Mercon V at low temperatures and a greater judder specification than Mercon V). When we flushed and changed the ATF a few years back, we used MaxLife, which at that time was specified as a Mazda M-V (Type M5) substitute, and said so right on the back label. Came time to change the ATF again this fall, I found that Ashland had removed the Mazda M-V (Type M5) specification from the back label. Further investigation showed that the word "synthetic," which formerly appeared on the front label, now is mising, and that Valvoline's official description of the ATF is:

Quote:
"MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF contains a blend of base oils and a unique additive package to help extend the life of transmissions with over 75,000 miles."

Apparently, in 2008, Ashland/Valvoline changed the formulation of MaxLife to reduce the fluid's viscosity. Valvoline subsequently sent out "to whom it may concern" a letter dated April 2009 over the signature of an executive named Thom Smith that basically says, "ignore the man behind the curtain," but is that letter something that you can take to the bank? The .pdf Valvoline Product Information Sheet downloadable from the Valvoline website dated February 2012 also does not claim that MaxLife is M-V Type M5 compatible, so I find it hard to ignore the man behind the curtain (Wizard of Oz allusion).

As with the deletion of the listing for M-V Type M5 on the back label, so too I wonder whether the deletion of "synthetic" from the front label is a reliable indicator of something going on there.

FWIW, this time around, 2012, we put in Red Line D4 (which is M-V Type M5 compatible) and the transmission shifts more positively and smoothly than it did with the MaxLife.

I noticed this as well. I'm putting MaxLife ATF in the Mazda 3 tomorrow. I'm taking a chance, but after doing some research, this is a top notch ATF and I'm confident it will work well in M-V spec'd transmissions.

I too have heard nothing but good things about the MaxLife ATF. One individual on the Mazda forum noticed significant shifting improvement with this ATF over the OEM. I'm curious....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back