Stihl 2 stroke HP Ultra equivalent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,
I have a family friend that owns a landscaping business. Most of their equipment is made by Stihl for their weed wackers, trimmers etc. They also use the factory Stihl syn blend for all their equipment. I'm looking for a recommendation that would be a suitable replacement but I'm finding it hard to do so on my own. I have access to Shell oils and all I can find are tcw-3 oils that are not Jaso FD like the Stihl oil. Would the Shell Nautilus work for this application? Thanks in advance
smile.gif

I wouldnt run TCW-3 for OPE personally. While TCW-3 is great stuff, the OPE oils are designed just for that.

Amsoil makes one, Im pretty sure.

I have a stash of Mobil 1 racing 2T, which is generally recognized as a top notch 2-cycle oil. Not sure if they still make it though...

stihl, echo, husqvarna, red max, shindiawa, basically any name brand 2 cycle oil is going to work fine, be 50:1 and in spec, as well as most include stabilizer in the already in the bottle. i always stay away from "fits all mix oil" as well as "boat motor 2cycle mix". im not a stihl man, but husqvarna xp oil can be found in gallon bottles (if thats his liking), its an excellent product aimed at husqvarna xp high reving saws, and produces minimal smoke. my second choice is the shindiawa/echo red armour oil.

Thanks for the reply guys... He's looking to cut costs on the maintenance of his equipment. He's using the 8oz containers to treat 2.5 gallons of gas. Is there any good oils out there that could help him cut costs without sacrificing too much quality? Specific recommendation please
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Flying_A
Thanks for the reply guys... He's looking to cut costs on the maintenance of his equipment. He's using the 8oz containers to treat 2.5 gallons of gas. Is there any good oils out there that could help him cut costs without sacrificing too much quality? Specific recommendation please
smile.gif

Mr. A, i understand the need to cut costs (i always try myself) the thing is, you cut a cost here and you add a cost there, and using "cheaper mix oil" can do this definately for a commercial cutter. Many OPE mix oils can be bought in gallon jugs, thus at a 50:1 mix making 50 gallons of mixed fuel. I can normally find Husqvarna XP mix oil in a gallon jug for around $35 locally. Compared to paying $10 for a six pack of husqvarna XP 2.6oz bottles, enough to do 6 gallons. So the savings is there for sure. Also, id recommend using a minimum of 89 octane fuel with the less amount of ethanol in it that i can find, again a small expense upfront, but a big payoff vs downtime/shop expense.

I'd use the Amsoil Saber Professional. It's like $8 a quart. Figure out how those little bottles equate to a quart and it's a real deal.

thought the litte pouches was aimed at low hour machine home owners that need help doing the 2% math.
For a guy that runs a landscaping business, mixing larger batches of fuel sound like a no brainer, since he would save both time and direct costs using even the highest priced brand available.

Then finding large containers of oil with the right specs is the next move. EGD or JASO FD are quite common oils but they can be priced veeery differently. I bet that either big box stores discounts or farm distributors are the contenders for best price in gallon or small barrel sizes.

As I stated in other posts, in Sweden ALL forestry and landscaping businesses run alkylate fuel like stihl pre mix, Aspen etc. It simply keeps total maint costs down and head aches down, there's no argument. They don't have to but they all do it...

Originally Posted By: lars11
As I stated in other posts, in Sweden ALL forestry and landscaping businesses run alkylate fuel like stihl pre mix, Aspen etc. It simply keeps total maint costs down and head aches down, there's no argument. They don't have to but they all do it...

I had to Google alkylate fuel to figure out what you were talking about. I had never heard of it prior to your post. I've heard of Stihl Motomix, but never knew it was an alkylate fuel.

It seems interesting, if the price works out. I use pump gas mixed with Amsoil Saber Pro or Pennzoil Air-cooled 2T oil and Sta-bil MARINE fuel stabilizer, double-dosed.

I just bought ethanol-free premium gas today at $4.60/gallon (or SEK 8.04/Litre).

Yeah, some of the pros are:
- Much less bad chems in the exhaust fumes, this is the fuel indoor carting use and it is approved for small lake outboard use. Less headaches and less cancerogens for users.
- Consistent ignition and burn rate, reduces need for adjustments of the equipment between fuel batches. Big savings for larger operators.
- Stabil storage of up to 3 years (instead of months for regular gas) and does not form any gum in the fuel system, no need for Gumout, Stabil or expensive snake oils and unnessesary rebuilds due to deposits.

Cons are:
- Costs more, here ca 15% more.
- Some argue that in really old engines, that are already gummed up, the deposits may be loosened. Not a certain fact but maybe? (Personally, I use it in old saws too with no problems so far, but just fyi.)

But considering the reduced maintenance total cost, no one argues the business case. The TCO of the equipment and fuel is just lower.

The reduced less health problems makes the BC even better. This only applies to small engines, in bigger 4 strokes with real cats and good burn rate, this does not apply.

all of it (non walmart, dont shop there much) that i can find in my area is $7-$10 per quart, no way i could feesably afford that

Last edited:
what? 7$ per quart?
eek.gif
Isn't a quart like a liter? In sweden alkylate is 2.50$ and gas is ca 2$ per liter.

what? 7$ per quart?
eek.gif
Isn't a quart like a liter? In sweden alkylate is 2.50$ and gas is ca 2$ per liter.

dont know liters, and not into looking it up, but a quart (32 oz) is 1/4 a us gallon, and yes all the pre-mix ready to go fuel i find (again non walmart type products) is $7/quart minimal, that i can find locally. maybe its just not popular in my area, maybe its price gouging? idk but thats what ive seen. i really dont go out of my way looking for it, but thats what ive noticed.

Last edited:
Alright so I found a solution... Redline Allsport 2 stroke oil. Full syn and only $4.50/bottle (16 oz). Not a TC-W3 oil and relativity inexpensive for a high quality product. Though I'd let y'all know
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back