Acronyms used at BITOG.

looking over this list make me wonder how many of these Acronyms are really used by used by anyone. It looks like a lot of them are just made up as the writer went along. How about some "real" Acronyms, like:
ANSI - American National Standards Institute
ATF - Automatic transmission fluid
BF3 - Break Fluid Dot 3
BF4 - Break Fluid Dot 4
OLMS - Oil life monitoring system
ISO - International Organization of Standardization
PSF - Power steering fluid
XOD - Extended oil drain
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineering, and
OD - Over due (Over Dose, sounds too much like we are into something that isn't car related.
Cheers to all; have a great day!

Last edited:
Okay. I must be blind but I don't see a definition for "moly" and I am afraid I don't know what it is. Can someone explain?
Thanks

Originally Posted By: Icecube
Okay. I must be blind but I don't see a definition for "moly" and I am afraid I don't know what it is. Can someone explain?
Thanks

Definition?

"Moly" is a slang/abbreviation for Molybdenum (Mo) an element.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molybdenum

In use here it's short for one of the oil soluble additive compounds, which are Mo and typically an organic/thio component. A multifunctional additive.

CCS = Cold-Cranking Simulator

Had to look this up..

Q: How Is a 0w30 oil with a ccs viscosity cP (D5293) @-35 degrees celcius with a rating of 3808 compare to one measured @ -20 with a ccs score of 5621?

"MotorOilEvaluator says:

The lower the temperature that an oil is tested at, the higher it’s CCS viscosity number will be, and a 5 degree difference can actually have a pretty significant effect on that number.

Thus, IF the numbers you provided in your question above are correct and not typos, the first oil is CONSIDERABLY better than the second, at least in regards to cold weather cranking. This is because, if the first oil had been tested at -20 degrees vs -35 degrees, it’s CCS value would actually be much lower than it already is at 3808.

Since the second oil is already considerably higher at 5621, the gap between the two would likely be even greater if both oils were tested at the same temperature.

That being said, be careful with this. It is not uncommon for spec sheets to have typos. A 0w30 oil MUST be tested at -35 degrees and achieve a CCS value of LESS than 6200 cP in order to be classified as a 0w oil. So, it’s possible that your 0w30 oil which indicates it was tested at -20, may actually have been tested at the required -35, but the PDS was typed up incorrectly.

Either way, even if the second oil was tested at -35, if the 5621 cP number is correct, then, the first oil is still better in cold temps.

Of course, that doesn’t say anything about it’s performance in hot temps or other stressful conditions – just cold temps."

Last edited:
T-IV: Toyota T-IV, a type of transmission fluid specification
WS: Another type of Toyota ATF
ATF+4:Current Chrysler fluid specification
DCT: Dual Clutch Transmission. It combines advantages of automatics and manuals, and takes a special fluid, not ATF or gear oil.
202: A type of PSF made by Pentosin and used in many European cars.
CHF11S: A type of hydraulic fluid made by Pentosin and used in many European cars.
RTS: Shell Rotella Synthetic HDEO, usually 5w40.
T5: A synthetic blend Shell Rotella, available in 10w30 and 10w40
TDT: Mobil1 Turbo Diesel Truck, a synthetic HDEO 5w40

Is it not possible to continuously edit the first post, rather than having to scroll through the thread to find the latest, updated list?

Anyway, if I may...

"BP" does not stand for British Petroleum (any more) and hasn't for around 12 years. It is just BP; there is no company called British Petroleum.

"Fuchs" is not an acronym, it's a brand name. Why pick that one out and not all of the others?

"ISO" are not European standards, they are international standards .

"NOACK" is not an acronym, it is the name of a test taken from the name of its inventor.

Now for some real pedantry. Most of the entries in the list are not acronyms. They are initials or abbreviations. An acronym is a series of initials that create a pronounceable word in their own right. For example "BITOG" - you can say that, but you can't say "GC" or "KV" without spelling them out.

If you're going to include commonly used terms and names (rather than solely initials, abbreviations and acronyms) then it is surely a glossary, and if so then my opening point stands - a glossary should be easily accessed and deciphered, so why not have the latest information on the opening post?

Originally Posted By: weasley
Is it not possible to continuously edit the first post, rather than having to scroll through the thread to find the latest, updated list?

- a glossary should be easily accessed and deciphered, so why not have the latest information on the opening post?

I agree!

I'd also like to add to the list, these antifreeze/coolant acronyms:

HOAT=Hybrid Organic Acid Technology
OAT=Organic Acid Technology
P-OAT=Phosphated Organic Acid Technology

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Loobed
wally6934 said:
CSK = Cold Start Knock. Refers to some GM V-8 (5.3) engines made since 1999 that knock for a few seconds after a cold start. It also used to be an abreviation for a chain of auto parts stores called "Checker, Schucks, and Kragen - Now called O'Reilly's.

I miss Checker's - they had CRAZY low prices, like below Walmart!

and some in Phoenix were open 24 hours, those were the days!!

Back