2012 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 6 speed 2wd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been thinking about a new truck for awhile, Wanted more room and some good power ,but still wanted a manual trans.
This truck replaced my 04 Frontier 4 cyl manual.

I ended up with a 2012 Frontier with the 261hp 4.0 v6.
I bought it with 17 miles ,and it now has 1150 miles.

So far after some break in miles power is really good. Plenty of power throughout the rev range. I don't know whats wrong with Nissan ,but the clutch throw is way too long ,but after reading some 350Z, Frontier, and G35 forums many have adjusted the position of the pedal and it is much more manageable now after I did this. It was hard in the beginning to get a smooth 1st to 2nd gear shift.

That was really my only gripe ,and I fixed that. One problem people have with the 4.0 is some what of a rough idle. Nissan has these things idling around 630-650rpm from the factory so at times it will send some minor vibes through the pedals.

Didn't really want a brand new truck doing that ,but its not uncommon for Nissan to hook the consult 2 up ,and bump the idle up 50 rpm so I had them do that to mine yesterday ,and its very smooth now.

Other than those issues the hwy ride is smooth and well isolated for this class of vehicle. All around it has been very enjoyable to drive.

I did not average the gas mileage with the tank that came with the truck. I did average the 2nd tank ,and that came to 19.5 mpg. This was mixed city/hwy with some aggressive driving as well . I'm pleased with that figure. My 3rd tank was only 18 mpg but with significantly more spirited driving so I expected that. I'm pretty sure the next tank will be over 20mpg as I have taken it easy.

The 6 speed manual shifts smoothly.
Any Nissan Experts on here? This engine came out in 05 ,and quite a few people had issues with the timing chain guides wearing out early. Some say it was the tensioner shoe material, others say it was chains with rough edges that destroyed the shoes. I'm hoping that with this being a 12 model all the bugs should be worked out by now.

Interestingly, or maybe not! My Pathfinder is a 2.5dci automatic with EGR and DPF fitted.

It has averaged 21.4mpg under my ownership. Admittedly if I go on a long high speed run on motorways/highways it will get as, erm, high? As 24mpg.

As diesel is £1.41 a litre and petrol £1.37 a litre roughly at the moment you have to think is it worth it to run a big diesel SUV.

Not in the UK the double cAb is called a Navara and does pretty much the same fuel consumption as the Pathfinder.

I think UK buyers are getting too mixed up in this diesel is more economical position as if you converted a 4.0 to Lpg or CNG it would work out at £0.68 a litre for LPG, not sure about CNG.

I was worried about buying a Frontier of Pathfinder in US for use in Ghana and was looking into converting mine to lhd, but after reading this why have he hassle of a complicated diesel when you can have a nice simply 4.0.

One of the most reliable Ambulances in London was the Rover 3.5 V8 engined LDV's, not food on fuel but then Again they still had carbs fitted when they built the last ones in 2001. Now being used in Cuba and I think Mongolia, much more reliable than the 2.7 5 cylinder Sprinters that followed and the 2.2 4 cylinder Sprinters since 2008 are a bit of a joke.

Originally Posted By: Anthony
I have been thinking about a new truck for awhile, Wanted more room and some good power ,but still wanted a manual trans.
This truck replaced my 04 Frontier 4 cyl manual.

I ended up with a 2012 Frontier with the 261hp 4.0 v6.
I bought it with 17 miles ,and it now has 1150 miles.

So far after some break in miles power is really good. Plenty of power throughout the rev range. I don't know whats wrong with Nissan ,but the clutch throw is way too long ,but after reading some 350Z, Frontier, and G35 forums many have adjusted the position of the pedal and it is much more manageable now after I did this. It was hard in the beginning to get a smooth 1st to 2nd gear shift.

That was really my only gripe ,and I fixed that. One problem people have with the 4.0 is some what of a rough idle. Nissan has these things idling around 630-650rpm from the factory so at times it will send some minor vibes through the pedals.

Didn't really want a brand new truck doing that ,but its not uncommon for Nissan to hook the consult 2 up ,and bump the idle up 50 rpm so I had them do that to mine yesterday ,and its very smooth now.

Other than those issues the hwy ride is smooth and well isolated for this class of vehicle. All around it has been very enjoyable to drive.

I did not average the gas mileage with the tank that came with the truck. I did average the 2nd tank ,and that came to 19.5 mpg. This was mixed city/hwy with some aggressive driving as well . I'm pleased with that figure. My 3rd tank was only 18 mpg but with significantly more spirited driving so I expected that. I'm pretty sure the next tank will be over 20mpg as I have taken it easy.

The 6 speed manual shifts smoothly.
Any Nissan Experts on here? This engine came out in 05 ,and quite a few people had issues with the timing chain guides wearing out early. Some say it was the tensioner shoe material, others say it was chains with rough edges that destroyed the shoes. I'm hoping that with this being a 12 model all the bugs should be worked out by now.

I have an 08 exactly the same as yours except I have a 4X4.

I have no issue with my idle so I haven't changed it.

The clutch I got used to but recently (yesterday actualy) I've been looking into making the adjustment. I couldn't figure it out though.

Mileage wise, I'm getting between 20-21 driving from my house in the burbs into downtown every day. I can easily pull 25 on the highway without really trying.

I read about the tensioner, but I've had no issues with mine so far. ~56000 miles.

The only issue I've had so far was one of the rear U-joints started making noise recently, but it was covered under warranty.

The truck is built very well. I fully expect this thing to last another 10 years without major issues.

Congrats on the purchase. I like the Frontier and it's badge clone, the Suzuki Equator.

19.5 MPG is pretty good out of a larger V6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back