Valvoline oils-Any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't hear much about Valvoline oils.To me they seem to be a smaller oil company compared to Mobil and Pennzoil.I don't hear much about their products.I know they sell their oils in europe.Joe

Yes, they are very good, even though some may not like how they use sodium as an additive. If you look under the UOA section, they show very low wear numbers.

Just like anything else out there name brand. It works and may or may not become your favorite.

Valvoline, Penzoil, Mobil 1, quaker state, etc etc etc Buy whats on sale, keep your oil changes reasonable in length.. Worry about world hunger
smile.gif

Worse oil ever made. They make this stuff called Maxlife... snake oil stuff that claims to cut down on oil consumption.
crazy2.gif

Valvoline is a good quality lubricant. Been using it for 20+ years with good results. Clean inside, no blowed up engines. The only con is it is not a extended drain oil.
Off subject. Beast3300, do you race them there 2 Buicks on a weekly basis?

^ +1

I think the last few years they've made their synthetics much more competitive. I would say they are one of the best brands out there.

Originally Posted By: johnnydc
Valvoline is a good quality lubricant. Been using it for 20+ years with good results. Clean inside, no blowed up engines. The only con is it is not a extended drain oil.

Sorry, I see one is a Pontiac. It's a shame GM dumped the Pontiac brand. I thought they were nice lookin' cars.

Originally Posted By: johnnydc

Sorry, me again. Just to add. I also use Valvoline in the snowblower,lawnmower,and compressor.

Valvoline makes some good oils, although not all appear suited to extended drains.
I had a great UOA from my BMW using Maxlife Nexgen SN 10W-40, although I ran it only 4K. There was plenty of residual TBN to have easily done another 2-3K or more, and wear metals were very low.
I recently had a UOA done after a 5K run of Synpower SM 10W-30 in the Forester.
Wear metals were low, but so was TBN.
The oil could probably have been used a little longer, but maybe not much.
SN Synpower might have better TBN retention, particularly since Valvoline claims that the oil meets Dexos 1.
I've been happy with Maxlife, but will probably not use Synpower as a matter of preference after my current mini stash of it runs out.
I would buy and use Synpower again at a low enough price and I'm interested in seeing some UOAs of API SN Synpower, which may show much stronger TBN retention than I saw with the SM.
Synpower is very smooth and quiet in the Forester.
Variety is fun, and using Valvoline is something new to me over the past year or so.
Try some and see what you think.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Worse oil ever made. They make this stuff called Maxlife... snake oil stuff that claims to cut down on oil consumption.
crazy2.gif

Your a funny guy
grin.gif

Valvoline MaxLife 10W-30 was my favorite oil for the 3800 Series II engines in my late-90's Grand Prixs.

I've run Valvoline SynPower in both of my current vehicles and it performed as well as any other synthetic. You can see a UOA here where SynPower 5W-20 was run in our Saturn for a 7850 mile interval. (The other column is a 6300 mile interval of Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20.)

Your a funny guy
grin.gif
[/quote]

What do you mean I'm funny?
You mean the way I talk?
Funny how? whats funny about it?
I'm funny how like I'm a clown, I amuse you?
I make you laugh?
What do you mean funny?
How am I funny?
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: 2KBMW

Your a funny guy
grin.gif

What do you mean I'm funny?
You mean the way I talk?
Funny how? whats funny about it?
I'm funny how like I'm a clown, I amuse you?
I make you laugh?
What do you mean funny?
How am I funny?
banana2.gif
[/quote]

Now that's funny
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back